My job interfering with my need to get healthy

Options
I've been working a fast food job the past year, since starting i have gained 10lbs. I've been trying to eat healthier lately, but it's so hard not to snack on the chicken nuggests, or fries especially the frosty's. I feel motivated to not eat that crap when i'm home, yet when i'm there i lose all of my control.

Any suggestions on how to better motivate myself to not snack there?

Replies

• SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I worked at Mcdonald's. Its' crazy but you burn a lot more calories then you'd think there because you're running around and on your feet for 9+ hours a day so you get hungry and being around that food all day obviously makes you want to eat it.

But you still can't be eating chicken nuggets and fries all day because it obviously going to interfere with your health. It was especially bad for me because we got free shift meals and half off at every other time! My suggestions is bring your own food and snacks that will help you feel full, things with a lot of protein, eat a big meal before you go so you'll be less tempted to snack.

It's all about discipline. But it's easier not to snack when you're not that hungry. I found eat a very small amount of what I was craving after being there all day helped. For example I'd have a very small amount (like a sip or two) of a shake or just one chicken nugget, but even that can add up.

Also try prelogging the food you'll eat so you know if you head "If I eat this I'll go over by X amount of calories today"
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I suggest packing your own snacks and bringing them to work worth you and keeping them in a cleared off spot back there so you can dip into your healthy snacks during work.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If at all possible change jobs plain and simple, there is no way you are going to be able to consistently resist those temptations. That food is so calorie dense it doesn't take too many slips to put the pounds on in no time at all...

Good luck!
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been working a fast food job the past year, since starting i have gained 10lbs. I've been trying to eat healthier lately, but it's so hard not to snack on the chicken nuggests, or fries especially the frosty's. I feel motivated to not eat that crap when i'm home, yet when i'm there i lose all of my control.

Any suggestions on how to better motivate myself to not snack there?

I know what you need that food just smells soooo good!

You can snack on food, Just snack on food you bring from home.

or

instead of eating the chicken nuggets eat a pickle or a slice of tomato.

and if your thirst instead of soda add lemon to a cup of ice water!

hope this helps good luck!

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group
  • Daystar13
    Daystar13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Two years at McDonalds- thirty pounds gained, near six months to get rid of it all- and yes, I had to back off on the fries and the burgers. Bringing my own food was the key- and it helped that I was sick of eating there anyway. Okay- not sick of the fries- never'll be sick of the fries.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I worked at McD's for 2 years and a pizza joint for 3... never got tired of the food. I think some people are programmed to love it.

That being said, getting stuffed on my own food didn't help me. I just had to resist. It's stealing if you don't pay for the food, so don't bring any money in. Make your free meals salads only, and tell someone to hold you accountable to that.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I gained alot of weight when I was managing Domino's Pizza. But alot of that was because I was consuming between 800-1200 calories a day in soft drinks and energy drinks. When I finally decided to lose the weight, I had to plan my food better. A huge key in that was just bringing my own food and severely limiting my pizza consumption. I still eat there, sure, especially now that I don't work there, but I don't eat nearly as much as I used to, nor do I eat there as often. But I had to make a conscious effort to stop eating the food, and the only way to do that is to take something else instead. You burn alot more calories in a job like that, especially in the summer time when it's hot. I found that bringing filling snacks, which had a small amount of fat and protein, worked better for me. I wouldn't be nearly as hungry while at work.
  • anna473
    anna473 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Extra strong mints eaten regularly will make it impossible to enjoy almost anything afterwards without a big glass of water first. This might work until you can break the snacking habit. : )