5 ponuds GAINED in 2 weeks - really?

Options
Yes, I got slack. I had been doing really well. Weight went up to 180 pounds after knee surgery last year. Dropped to about 175 and hit a plateau so I came here 3 months ago. Using the toolsI had gotten down to 166 a couple of weeks ago. I've been back to running regularly about 30 miles per week.

So the past 2 weeks schedule has been irregular. Work travel, social events. Basically I fell off the tool as I could track breakfast and lunch but lost anymotivation/incentive/ability to track the evening stuff. Still, I was trying to think about what I ate and pick things that looked right sized and healthy primarily, with some special treats thrown in but in moderation (I thought)

Exercise has been constant. No slacking there.

Got on the scale this morning. - 171. Up 5 pounds in 2 weeks. That's like a 17,000 calorie surplus, right? It doesn't seem right that I would have eaten that much excess...

Anything else it could be? Anyone experienced this before.

At any rate - back to being very intentional about tracking.

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Gain muscle perhasp ?
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Too much salt? Water weight? Muscle inflammation? Since you're a man, you can't blame it on TOM, but I can easily gain 5 pounds in about two days before that....
  • Murball88
    Options
    I know my weight can change daily by 5+lbs based on if i am retaining water
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Water weight? Maybe you need some potty time? Ate a little extra?

Several things combined?

I highly doubt you ingested 17,000 extra calories. Either way, you're making the right choice to just start tracking closer and the problem will resolve itself.

Good job on the 30 miles a week :) You are a running god! lol - I'm lucky to run 12 - 15 miles a week. I guess we all have to start somewhere!!!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    eating out means that you probably had much more sodium then normaly, high sodium cause water retention
  • callipso
    Options
    It would be such calorie surplus if and only if it were all fat. You could have gained extra muscles and/or water, too. I'd bet on water since the change was so rapid.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm having the save problem too. I'm thinking it has to 2 something with my water, salt and sugar intake. Sugar has been a little high with a birthday drink-a-thon. Hopefully for both of us, this isnt real!
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's almost certainly rebound water weight. If you've reduced your carb intake by any degree on your eating plan, especially sugars, you've likely been running down your glycogen stores and that in turn reduces water retention considerably. Any slackening of the reins will lead to a few pounds of water weight coming back. The good news is it's not fat and will disappear over the next week or two if you get back on track.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight...

I upped my weights at the gym on Saturday by 1kg and the scale now says I've gone up 3-4lbs but I know its probably just water weight where my muscles have had to worked that bit harder and are repairing...pretty sure it will even itself out again.

Just stick with it, drink loads of water and so long as you are staying within your macro's you shold be fine :-)

This is a long journey so don't be discouraged.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    OK all. Thanks for talking me off the ledge. :tongue: I'll be careful this week and see how things go. Thanks again.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As a follow up, 2.5 of the pounds are gone this morning. So obviously you all were correct.