2000 calorie a day diet

Options
So I have been dieting for a few weeks now and on the journey to lose 164 pounds through diet and exercise. I set my goals and settings here on mfp for a 2000 calorie daily diet. Ive been hitting the gym 3 days a week. Does 2000 calories seem too low? Sure Im hungry at times but I am eating better foods (more protein, fiber, fruits and veggies and far less fat) Are others targeting a 2000 calorie diet?

**Edit Age 50, sex male, weight 364, height 5-11. Gym visits are mostly cardo (treadmill)

Replies

• hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    More people will probably chime in if you give your age, height, weight, etc. What you are doing at the gym, strength/cardio. Where did you come up with 2000? I am on 1700 calories and 5'3" female. That is my TDEE - 20%.
  • manenina
    Options
    So I have been dieting for a few weeks now and on the journey to lose 164 pounds through diet and exercise. I set my goals and settings here on mfp for a 2000 calorie daily diet. Ive been hitting the gym 3 days a week. Does 2000 calories seem too low? Sure Im hungry at times but I am eating better foods (more protein, fiber, fruits and veggies and far less fat) Are others targeting a 2000 calorie diet?

Hi! My target is 1500-1700 a day. I'm trying to walk 5 days a week and go to the gym twice. IMPORTANT: I'm not eating back my exercise calories! This goal already includes them, just that I eat them through the whole week and not just the same day as I went to the gym. You can also have a lower goal and then you should eat your exercise calories... Anyway, it also depends on your starting weight! It might be too low for you. My advise is that, if you're feeling too hungry you can try to increase your goal during a week and see if you're still loosing weight. Worst case scenario you will just maintain your weight.
  • thebowhunter
    Options
    More people will probably chime in if you give your age, height, weight, etc. What you are doing at the gym, strength/cardio. Where did you come up with 2000? I am on 1700 calories and 5'3" female. That is my TDEE - 20%.

Thanks I have now edited my first post to include the info.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    No one is the same so I suggest you figure out your TDEE and subtract 15-20% for a loss. I'm 5'2 112lbs and a 32yo female and I eat between 2000-2200 for maintenance. It's all relative to your activity, goals, BF etc.
  • thebowhunter
    Options
    TDEE??????
  • sneckerdoodle
    sneckerdoodle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, type TDEE in your search engine and it will ask for your age, height, weight and activity level and calculate what your tdee is and take that number and subtract 15-20% from it and thats what you should be eating to lose weight. good luck on your journey!
  • thebowhunter
    Options
    After using the online calculators on 8 sites it appears my BMR is 2,800 calories. My TDEE appears to be about 4,000. (I hope I got that right) so what does this mean if I am taking in 2,000 calories a day?
  • thebowhunter
    Options
    TTT
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    After using the online calculators on 8 sites it appears my BMR is 2,800 calories. My TDEE appears to be about 4,000. (I hope I got that right) so what does this mean if I am taking in 2,000 calories a day?

That's about right for your height and weight

ETA: If you can stick to 2000 cal / day I think that is fine
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options

I don't know how long you've been trying this, but I would stick with what you are doing for at least a month. It sounds like you are at a good calorie amount.

People are going to tell you to deduct 20% from your TDEE, and to eat above your BMR. I'm going against that advice, because it is "cookie-cutter" advice and your situation is that you need to lose 150 pounds (more or less). It is super-important for you to save your life by losing a good chunk of that as soon as possible. Beware of the advice you are going to get here...a lot of people are going to project their situation onto yours. You have so much to lose that you can create a larger deficit than someone who has, say, 25-40 pounds to lose.

You will be fine at the calories Myfitnesspal gives you. It works. Just use the numbers given to you here when you signed up until you no longer see results (and I mean no loss for a month or more.)

You have a lot of stored energy in the form of body fat. If you weigh and measure your foods and drinks and log everything religiously, you will lose at a good rate.
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'd say 2000 is good for you. My goal is also 2000 and I weigh 313, 6'3 and 42 yrs old. I am finding it hard to eat enough and haven't had one day over since starting two weeks ago. Feel free to add me and we can motivate one another.