Tough Mudder- Austin 2012

Options
I ran in the Tough Mudder this weekend for the first time. It was HARD!!! But, I have to say, if I hadn't gone into this with a fear of water (and I don't mean swimming in a pool) that it wouldn't have been as difficult.

My training was basic: I ran, I lifted weights when I could, I did push ups, I did squats...

What would I have done different: I should have spent more time on triceps and back, and worked on pull ups instead of push ups.

The event itself was well-run and full of good energy and fun people. Everyone helped someone else. I'm small (5'2" and 116-117 lbs) but I was still able to help untangle someone's shoe from barbed wire or give someone a hand climbing out of a tube.

The hardest obstacles for me invlved water. The Arctic Enema was the worst thing ever...I'm standing there frozen in fear while 30 spectators are yelling at you to just go, the volunteer is telling me to get my butt moving, and I'm facing down my biggest fear of WATER...no pressure though. I made myself do it. It was hard and it was painful. Getting shocked wasn't as bad as I expected, but it definitely hurt. I had loaded down with bananas leading up to the run and even during the breaks, but I still cramped from around mile 9-10 or 11.

Anyways, it was fun and scary and extremely hard. Not sure if I'd do it again or not. I probably will just to see if I can improve, but the nightmares I'll have for the next 6 months about icy pools of water may keep me from signing up again.

Replies

• oumick03
    oumick03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! It is so awesome that you made it through! How long did it take you? (I'm trying to gauge how long i'll be out in the heat for mine!)

It is really good to know about the triceps/ backs/ pull ups. That is what I have started to focus on so it helps me to know I am on the right track.

What obstacles did you have? Or are they all the same?

Look at you facing your fear of water! Way to go!!!!
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The map they post on their site is pretty accurate, but they post the real map with obstacles in order a couple of days before the event. They seem to be pretty similar across the board. The monkey bars are the only thing I couldn't do so I ended up swimming. That wasn't a bad thing really because it felt so good to rinse off!

Some tips: when climbing hay bails you can wdge your foot in the crack of 2 bails and step up. The hay is just soft enough that your foot will sink in enough to have a 'step'. Don't Stop! People were stopping to wash mud out of their shoes and having a hard time getting their shoes on and get moving again. Even if you cramp, at the least keep walking!

There were 4 of us. 2 finished in 3 hrs 15 mins or so and me and my buddy (husband) finished in about 4 hrs. About the time my cramps stopped, his knee locked up and he couldn't jog anymore. So we walked together for the last several miles.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I saw all the pics on the TM site and was completely jealous. Just waiting on our event in June. :)
  • kellyjb80
    Options
    Woo Rah! Congrats and welcome to the club!!! It's an awesome experience and worth every bump and bruise! Already registered for PA in June 2013, my second mudder!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm looking forward to my first Tough Mudder this February. So eat lots of bananas? I'll remember that tip! Right now I'm doing tons of pullups and will start climbing ropes and swinging on rings and monkey bars to prep in a couple of months. Those are about the only things I'm worried about, but I figure something will sneak up on me.

Which obstacle seemed to be the toughest for most people?
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    Congrats! I did it in Austin too! Loved it! The artic enema was almost the worst for me too, I didn't realize it was that obstacle until I got in the water. My body went into shock and I couldn't breathe for a few min. I also got shocked pretty bad on the first electroshock therapy. I have a huge bruise on my calf and I'm pretty sure that's what it is from. I will def be doing another one, hope to see you there!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I did the Tough Mudder in Austin on Saturday, too! I am suffering today... my whole body is sore! My least favorite was Everest. I gave it my best shot, but came down hard on my left side when I couldn't reach the ledge. If I ever do it again (this was my second time), I'm going to work on my trail running. I had to run some, walk some and my body sure wasn't used to all the running.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm a little biased, but the Arctic Enema was the worst for me. The Boa Constrictor and the underground tunnel made me nervous and I hesitated, but they only hurts the knees a bit. When I got the ice water, I had to fight off a panic attack.

I'm so glad I didn't go on Sunday. That cool front blew through and the sun never came out. Whoever went Sunday had to be miserably cold from all the water events.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I'm a little biased, but the Arctic Enema was the worst for me. The Boa Constrictor and the underground tunnel made me nervous and I hesitated, but they only hurts the knees a bit. When I got the ice water, I had to fight off a panic attack.

I'm so glad I didn't go on Sunday. That cool front blew through and the sun never came out. Whoever went Sunday had to be miserably cold from all the water events.

My husband was just saying that! We are so glad we didn't go Sunday! Yesterday would have been way too cold! Everyone in my group said the Arctic Enema was their least favorite. I'm more afraid of falling down and injuring myself than anything else, so I had a hard time with any of the obstacles with heights. I'm also totally claustrophobic, so I skipped the Boa Constrictor... just watching people do it almost gave me a panic attack!

Way to go on finishing your first Tough Mudder!!
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    can't wait to get my first one in next year. Props to you for completing it!!!! Loved hearing you recant your experience!