Girls: Contraceptive patch. Pro's and Con's?

Options
I want to try something other than pills! Combined pills seem to make me feel sick, like Yasmin.Came off Cerazette about 5 weeks ago after being on it a year. What is the patch like? Anything really bad about it? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • smwright20
    smwright20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love it! I have used it for years and never had a problem. The pill and I do not get along.
  • redhotredneck
    redhotredneck Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I used to use the patch. It was nice not to have to worry about taking a pill everyday. But the one thing is you had to be careful where you put the patch, as it had to stay on all week, and you can't use the exact same spot every time. So I rotated where I put it - one week on the right, the next on the left. :) I was quite happy on it for almost 5 years.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    I used to use the patch. It was nice not to have to worry about taking a pill everyday. But the one thing is you had to be careful where you put the patch, as it had to stay on all week, and you can't use the exact same spot every time. So I rotated where I put it - one week on the right, the next on the left. :) I was quite happy on it for almost 5 years.

I heard about that! Where do you put yours?

And does it go really gross like a plaster does? lol
  • haylz247
    Options
    I love it! I have used it for years and never had a problem. The pill and I do not get along.

Pills are a pain! Can't be bothered trying anymore now.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I really like it. I've been using it for about 3 years. Once you find the places where you like to put it, it is easy. I struggled for the first few months but I know most people do when starting any type of birth control. Sever headaches and anxiety when I put the first patch on for the month. Now my body expects it and I don't get headaches anymore.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I knew three people that used it. Less than a year later, all three had little ones. Maybe they all did something wrong, but that is quite a failure rate!
  • beelikethebug
    beelikethebug Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just had my annual appointment, and my OB-GYN told me that the patch causes more blood clots than any other form of birth control. She said that their office has actually stopped prescribing it to anyone and is encouraging their patients to move onto another form of birth control. I use the ring and really love it—seems weird initially, but I've been on it for over a year and don't even think about it.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I used a patch for a couple of months and it made me feel crazy LOL. It made me feel nervous most of the time and edgey. I'm sure it would have evened out if I gave it time, but I couldn't give it that chance.

I have a Paragard IUD now and love it! It's so nice to not have to think about taking a pill everyday.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Don't really have anything to say except........I got pregnant with my son on the patch (yes I used it correctly)
  • haylz247
    Options
    I knew three people that used it. Less than a year later, all three had little ones. Maybe they all did something wrong, but that is quite a failure rate!

haha oh no! i don't want kids. yet!
  • smwright20
    smwright20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant on the pill, so somethings just don't work for everyone. I will say that my doctor told me it becomes less effective for people over 150 pounds, so i have been working hard to drop this weight.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I loved the patch for 7 months, then I got pregnant with #1. planned for #2. 6 months later, on the pill, pregnant again with #3. Apparently birth control doesn't work well for this super fertile couple! And yes, always used correctly.
  • thehealthymomma
    thehealthymomma Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't really have anything to say except........I got pregnant with my son on the patch (yes I used it correctly)

Me too!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The patch doesn't work if you weigh over a certain amount.

I had Mirena IUD for three years and it made me gain and made it impossible to lose weight, but I loved everything else about it and not everyone experiences that particular side effect. There are a million different pills you can try and there's the ring, too. Or just condoms.
  • haylz247
    Options
    The patch doesn't work if you weigh over a certain amount.

I had Mirena IUD for three years and it made me gain and made it impossible to lose weight, but I loved everything else about it and not everyone experiences that particular side effect. There are a million different pills you can try and there's the ring, too. Or just condoms.

i'm 158lbs. I'll ask when i see the nurse. I don't like things that get inserted lol
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend got pregnant on the patch.

I have a Mirena, I love the fact that you dont have to worry about it for 5 years( or take it out if you want to), no period anymore, and so cheap too( I paid $40 co-pay when placed it and thats it. I mean 5 years of BC for $40, you can never beat that).

My second favorite was Nuva-Ring..But that slips out sometime when you..ya know what I mean..

So far Mirena has been my favorite.
  • tetracat
    tetracat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been using the patch since forever. No children, no blood clots, no side effects. I love only having to remember to change it once per week. If I had to remember to take a pill every day I would have 20 children by now lol. My doctor told me that since I have been on it with no side effects that she is not worried about the risk of clots. I put the patch on my butt (alternating cheeks:) ) and have never had a problem with it falling off. It's just like a bandaid.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I have the Paraguard iud. Love it! No artifical hormones. No babies. I've had it for almost 7 years now. It lasts for 10 yrs before I have to get a new one. I think next time I'm going to go with Essure. Like the IUD but permanent. I don't like messing with hormones. I was on the pill for years and I even got pregnant on it with my first daughter.