Question about weighing food

Options
do u weigh foods like meat before or after cooking it? I usually do before. Am I doing it correctly??

Replies

• BFlowers2
    Options
    You want to weigh it after, that is the most accurate weight
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Most the options for meats on MFP will say either, cooked, baked, grilled or raw. If you weigh it before, choose raw. If you weight it after you cook it, choose one of the other options :)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I do it after because I'm cooking for my husband, too, so raw is more than double what I'm going to eat.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    thank u!!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Pick cooked or raw and stick with whichever one you choose. The idea is to be consistent.
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    i weigh it all before. usually there is a raw option on MFP
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    Weigh it however you are going to track it...if you are logging it as "4 oz raw" it should be weighed raw, if logging "4 oz baked" weigh it after baking it. If i'm adding things to it while cooking (like mixing it in sauce or with veggies) I will portion it out raw and weigh it (usually creating a recipe) because I find that easier. If I am cooking something whole (like a whole chicken, turkey, pot roast) I will weigh the meat by itself after cooking. Hope that helps.
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it either way, whichever is most convenient to you, just make sure you choose the right option on the list - either raw or cooked.

Good luck!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    do u weigh foods like meat before or after cooking it? I usually do before. Am I doing it correctly??
    Before is correct
  • skinnynerd
    Options
    I weigh raw because that is the calorie count on the package.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Weigh it however you are going to track it...if you are logging it as "4 oz raw" it should be weighed raw, if logging "4 oz baked" weigh it after baking it. If i'm adding things to it while cooking (like mixing it in sauce or with veggies) I will portion it out raw and weigh it (usually creating a recipe) because I find that easier. If I am cooking something whole (like a whole chicken, turkey, pot roast) I will weigh the meat by itself after cooking. Hope that helps.
    This.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw because that is the calorie count on the package.

But cooking it -- without any thing added like sauces etc -- shouldn't alter the calories, just the weight. Last week I was cooking chicken tenderloins and I looked at the package and it said 4 oz raw/3 oz cooked. Regardless cals were the same.
  • jazujazu
    Options
    I would weigh it once it's portioned. So, for a pork chop or piece of chicken that you're not going to alter the size of between cooking and eating, before is fine. For a roast or whole bird, cook it, then weigh the piece you intend to eat.