Smaller girls, what's your height and body fat%?

Options
I have a scale that measures it and got it measured at the gym and got wildly different numbers. So I am curious.

I am 5'4" with a muscular build. I weighed 127 at the time of these tests.
Scale says 20%
Biometric Impedence at the gym says 27% OMG!

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", my husband has a body fat scale which I use to measure about 1x per year - I was at 17% at the last time I measured and am less now. I also have done caliper testing which comes up about 18% and the dear old bathroom scale comes up 20% on me. Hydration is very very big in these scales so if you aren't properly hydrated then they will be wrong.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh?
  • jmorri95
    Options
    bump
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2" and weigh 150 pounds and my scale says my BF% is 31%
  • brennsie
    Options
    Well I lost my measuring tape, so I can't get you my actual body fat percent.

But I am around 5'3" and 102 lbs . I'm pretty athletic and muscular though, if that helps :)
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    At the gym was it that thing that you hold in your hands like a steering wheel?? That and the scale both are not very accurate. Go buy a pair of $16 body fat calipers. They're not the most accurate method by any means but much more so than standing on something or holding something.

I'm 5'1'' 125 lbs and 18.6% body fat according to my calipers.

The more places on your body that you take a measurement with the calipers the more accurate it is. Just make sure to follow instructions regarding taking caliper sample in same spot, etc...

Edit: for all the freaking typo's I had. think I'd learn to proofread.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    5'3 - 113lbs 15.4% BF

Scale tells me I'm anywhere between 16-18%
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    At the gym was it that thing that you hold in your hands like a steering wheel?? That and the scale both are not very accurate. Go buy a pair of $16 body fat calipers. They're not the most accurate method by any means but much more so than standing on something or holding something.

The more places on your body that you take a measurement with the calipers the more accurate it is. Just make sure to follow instructions regarding taking caliper sample in same spot, etc...

No he stuck a patch on my hand and my foot and it used an electrical impulse. It's the same technology my scale uses so it makes no sense to me they were SO FAR OFF!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Height - 5'2"
    Weight - 120.2

My Avg. body fat % was: 24.2% (low was 21 and high was 27) per the http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
    but I guess if I searched I have calapers and my husband (who is a certified personal trainer and nutritionist); could take check my skin folds for a more accurate check.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

No he stuck a patch on my hand and my foot and it used an electrical impulse. It's the same technology my scale uses so it makes no sense to me they were SO FAR OFF!

Hmm... that is strange. either way I'd say use another form of measurement and see what you come up with.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    needs to be done at the same time of the day. similar ambient temperature and humidity. You need to have the same amount of water in your body. In other words, anything but the Bod-pod or something similar just isn't accurate. All that aside, if you measure 1st thing in the morning, before eating, drinking or taking a shower, you can get a descent relative number.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    That method is pretty inaccurate and is very sensitive to variance in hydration levels, which is why you are seeing such a big difference. The most reliable way to measure is hydrostatic testing (underwater immersion) However, it is quite costly and not readily accessible. Many Universities offer hydrostatic weight tests and you can sometimes find them in certain wellness centers/medical centers.

These may help: body-fat-chart.png

bfpercentage.jpg
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    5'2"

100 lbs

18.0%
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    5'2 112 lbs and 16-17%. I have mine professionally done via Bod Pod. Any other way I choose the callipers next; have issues with water or I woukd do hydrostatic testing. Handheld calculators or scales are highly inaccurate.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    5'5"

113lbs

approx 14.5% body fat (measured a variety of ways - callipers, scales and on bone density scan. Online calculators puts the percentage at around 20% so they are not accurate at all)
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Height - 5'2"
    Weight - 120.2

My Avg. body fat % was: 24.2% (low was 21 and high was 27) per the http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
    but I guess if I searched I have calapers and my husband (who is a certified personal trainer and nutritionist); could take check my skin folds for a more accurate check.

Found the calipers ...I'm actually 17.2% body fat
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am 5' even and currently weigh 152. My calipers say my body fat is 30.8%.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No idea. While I might pay to have my body fat percentage actually tested, Consumer Reports says none of the scales you use at home are very accurate.