Is this a plateau? I'm discouraged. Suggestions?

Options
Does this constitute a plateau?  I've been 190 over a month.  So my modest decrease (7-8# down) came my first few weeks here & then the scale frooze between 190-193, never going below 190 ;-(. I started at 1200 calories, scale stopped moving & thought I wasn't eating enough & bumped up to 1500. I'm still walking and drinking water. Thoughts?

Replies

• drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. It took me like 6 weeks to break out of the same 3 lbs I was gaining and losing constantly. I actually cut all processed foods out during the day and only eat them in modeartion at night. For what ever reason it helped and I actually ended up with more energy during the day.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Its probably a plateau so give it a few weeks. I have a cousin that lives in Anchorage :}
  • gotoshellie
    gotoshellie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I plateaued for about 3 weeks. I then tried a low carb for about a week. It helped. I lost .6 lbs. Now I am back to my regular 1200 diet.
  • oscarvalles
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are but 1200 calories is not a lot. If you are eating right and lifting weights, you are probably gaining muscle. Which is great. You may not notice since you look at yourself daily but if you feel stronger, than you are gaining muscle. (Thus the constant weight).

But if you are truly plateauing then I suggest changing up your exercise routine. If you have enough body fat, try eating more vegetables and less processed foods, particularly sugars.

I've lost and gained two pounds off and on these past two weeks, so I know how you feel. When intake more veggies, I'm low. But when I eat the goodies, I gain them back. So I'm still waiting until their consistently off even when I eat my fatty treats.

Great work drinking water btw. Don't forget to consume the necessary amount of fiber too.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this plateau thing for awhile now. I've finally come to the conclusion that since this is for life, not just to lose a certain number of pounds, I will continue this lifestyle. While I'm waiting to see if my strategies to jog my body into losing the last 10 pounds will work, at least I'm not gaining.
  • MadtownMadisonian
    MadtownMadisonian Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ditto to all of the above replies. I'm gaining and losing the same 4 pounds for 2-3 weeks now, but am trying hard to remember that if I keep up the healthy eating, modest portions, and increased exercise I will surely beat my stubborn body into submission!
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. I am in my second plateau :o/ I know it will eventually go away though :o) Can't stop now!!!!! change up your exercise, either add to it, or change whatever you are doing so your body will be confused :o)
  • p_s_a
    p_s_a Posts: 45
    Options
    I've been between 202 and 198 for the last THREE MONTHS. I've switched up calorie intake (tried less, tried more) workout routine (weight training three days a week and running three days a week).

Nothing is working. I guess I'll keep trying different approaches until something catches on.

Seems like someone is playing a trick on me.