I'm Having a Party

Options
So after nearly 6 months of doing a basement reno from scratch, my husband and I are hosting a bsmt party to show it off and celebrate.

I am looking for healthy tasty snacks that will not only appeal to me but to the masses. Maybe some twists on the normal party type foods with less/lower calories or substitues to the normal party favs?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Homemade Hummus with whole wheat pita wedges,
    veggies and dip (low fat sour cream based)
    air popped Popcorn
    bruschetta, on whole wheat baguette
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Of course your basic veggie tray is a must and I love seeing fruit on a stick...it is so pretty and you can use yogurt as a dip.

All of your cheeses can be low fat. I also love having shrimp. Stay away from the cocktail sauce for yourself.

Another favorite of mine is doing a tortilla roll. You can spread neufatchel cheese and other lower fat items, roll it up and slice it.

My all time favorite though is bruschetta. I take roma tomotoes and dice them very small (about 4) then I dice onion and cucumber. I put 1 TBS of virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste (I love it), fresh garlic and then basil or possible oregano. Let it set for awhile in the fridge and Yummy and very low calorie. The sea salt bagel chips are very good with it but you have to watch your portions with those. If you like you can also add some garbanzo beans or red kidney beans.

Have fun! I can't wait to see what others post.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    fondu!? cheese melt with veggies/fruits. can also have a chocolate one with fruits.
  • jon628
    Options
    Fondu, It is a great way to have fun and healthy snacks!!! It also taste great!!!
  • jon628
    Options
    Oh I see now somebody already had that Idea!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Jon, you copy cat!! :)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    So, I'm bumping for later...so I can make yummy party food!! :drinker:

But, I also have an addition. SuperBowl Sunday we made BBQ smokies that were lower fat & were DELISH! Use the Turkey smokies (no one will ever know I promise), a lower fat & cal BBQ sauce & heat up. They make a great staple.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so far! I was thinking fruit and veggies, I really like the idea of putting the fruit on sticks, I might throw together some fruitkabobs, that would be fun.

What about say chips&dip and nachos and the cream cheese nacho dip, I know a few people will be looking for that. I already buy low fat cream cheese and sour cream, but are there other ways/ingredients I could use to make an alternative?
  • tongue
    Options
    I make sushi all the time it really easy and cheap. Perfect at room temp. Don't cut the rolls too early or they will dry out. Maybe some veggie rolls or use canned tuna or a grilled chicken breast if you want meat in them. Once you cook the rice you can bang out ten rolls in no time. The seaweed wraps are only about $2 for 20. I usually fill with carrot, cucumber, red pepper. Just need some wasabi and low sodium soy sauce (i usually cut it with water because it is still too salty for me).
  • rvkirk
    rvkirk Posts: 37
    Options
    bump to read replies later

I would suggest low fat cheese dips with veggies, slices of lean meats ( cold meat buffet style thing) and for chips use a peeler to make thin slices of veggies, use parsnips, beetroot, sweet potato etc. Then spray a little fry lite type substance, or even spray a little oil on them, put them in the oven to crip up and have home made healthy crips. Lot less calories than the deep fried varities.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    baked chips with onion soup mix in fat free sour cream, baked tostitos .... nacho dip with low fat cheese. zero fat cream cheese & salsa, veggies dipped in red pepper dip, Angel food cake is the best 'sweet', 'iced' in fat free whipped cream. I'm taking this to a party tomorrow.

Have a fun party!
  • schlieffen
    Options
    My favourite are mini pizzas. You can buy bags of mini pitas (about 1.5" diameter), then just spoon on a bit of your favourite pizza/pasta sauce, and your favourite toppings. Top with a bit of mozarella cheese and put them in the oven until the cheese starts to bubble! I had a luau party a couple of months ago and got some black forest ham deli slices, ripped them up and added pieces of diced pineapple... they were a huge hit!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Homemade Hummus with whole wheat pita wedges,
    veggies and dip (low fat sour cream based)
    air popped Popcorn
    bruschetta, on whole wheat baguette

I'm telling you.... This guy always has an answer when it comes to food!!! Is he awesome, or what?!!! :drinker:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    My favourite are mini pizzas. You can buy bags of mini pitas (about 1.5" diameter), then just spoon on a bit of your favourite pizza/pasta sauce, and your favourite toppings. Top with a bit of mozarella cheese and put them in the oven until the cheese starts to bubble! I had a luau party a couple of months ago and got some black forest ham deli slices, ripped them up and added pieces of diced pineapple... they were a huge hit!

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:drinker:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so far! I was thinking fruit and veggies, I really like the idea of putting the fruit on sticks, I might throw together some fruitkabobs, that would be fun.

What about say chips&dip and nachos and the cream cheese nacho dip, I know a few people will be looking for that. I already buy low fat cream cheese and sour cream, but are there other ways/ingredients I could use to make an alternative?

My fav chip dip is the one that has layers of cream cheese, salsa, cheddar cheese and sometime olives and onions on it.
    You could make that with low fat cream cheese and part skim cheddar cheese.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options

I love making the mexican dip and it is a favorite with my family. You are right on with the low fat cream cheese and sour cream. The salsa and the veggies are a nothing...so I lower the fat by making my own refried black beans...just use plenty of fresh garlic, a bit of olive oil and a touch of real butter...it is half the fat and still yummy!. I also do guacamole...avocados are so good for you and really the calorie count is reletively low. Instead of melting cheddar cheese into a hot sauce, I now sprinkle low fat shredded cheddar. My family doesn't even know I changed the recipe!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options

I love making the mexican dip and it is a favorite with my family. You are right on with the low fat cream cheese and sour cream. The salsa and the veggies are a nothing...so I lower the fat by making my own refried black beans...just use plenty of fresh garlic, a bit of olive oil and a touch of real butter...it is half the fat and still yummy!. I also do guacamole...avocados are so good for you and really the calorie count is reletively low. Instead of melting cheddar cheese into a hot sauce, I now sprinkle low fat shredded cheddar. My family doesn't even know I changed the recipe!

ohh, and one more thing...I do use ground beef not turkey for my taco meat but I buy the really low fat...90% or higher
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! More more more I'm loving the ideas! :-D:flowerforyou: