Sweet Misery: A poisoned world

Options
Yesterday I watched the documentary Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World, which is about the truth behind Aspartame.
I wouldn't say anything in the documentary surprised me as I personally do believe that high-dose and long term use of aspartame will cause disease in the body. The part that did shock me though, was that after all these years aspartame is still legally circulating in our food products. The part that shocked me even more, perhaps, is just how many products you find aspartame in (or some other artificial sweetener) without even realizing it's there.

After watching the documentary I went to look at the ingredient label of the new protein powder I bought (which claimed on the bottle that there was no aspartame, MSG, etc), and lo and behold I find Acesulfame Potassium in the list, which is another chemical/artificial sweetener with similar issues as aspartame.

I guess what I want to say to my fellow MFPer's is that it's wise to do research on your food choices, especially if you are trying to 'eat clean'. There's so many products out there claiming to be healthy, thinking we are none the wiser, but you never know what's in the fine print until you make the effort to look at it.

Link to documentary: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/sweet-misery-a-poisoned-world/

* All this, of course, is my personal viewpoint. I know everyone else may have their own unique beliefs and opinions on this issue.

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What a beautifully dramatic title.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Aspartame. Considered safe by science and clinical study, but dangerous by documentaries and the Internets.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    thats the reason why I dont eat anything processed my trainer tried to talk me into shakes, but I showed her the ingredients, I make my own smoothies and I know whats in there, Im growing veg and have chooks, trying to keep it clean. My kids love it, allthough they still get lollies, but I try. I understand your concern my mantra for nutrition is keep it clean, cause honestly I have no idea whats in processed food anymore, its not food its a chem lab and your body has to break that stuff day after day.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    the other thing about sweetners is to get fda approval they need to be tested and the testing isnt independent its done by the company that makes the aspartane.
  • evandehey
    evandehey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nice post! I'm always a bit reluctant to watch food documentaries because they freak me right out (I guess that's the point?) but I definitely agree that it's best to be vigilant about reading labels. I would MUCH rather eat a teaspoon of real sugar (or honey, or agave syrup or whatever) and just count the calories against my daily totals. The real stuff always tastes better, anyhow!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Read the research, drinking an aspartame sweetened beverage right now...loving it.