How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I know most people weight themselves once a week. Some swear off scales completely. And others weight themselves daily. So how often do you weigh yourself and why do you feel that works best for you?

Personally I'm big on measurements and how my clothes feel. I don't weigh myself on a set time system. But kind of want to start incorporating weighing myself more into my routine. I don't want to be weight obsessed but sometimes feel i avoid the scale. So I am just curious as to what works for all of you!

Replies

• Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have gone to weighing once a month... The scale was starting to determine my mood and I did not like that! I weight train 3x/week and weight can fluctuate... Before I weigh myself I always take measurements first! If measurements are down I really don't care what the scale says! The scale is not the only determining factor of success! :happy:
  • katie070563
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning without fail. In the past dodging the scales usually means I've strayed and want to avoid the truth. By the time I finally pluck up the courage to half kill the scales by standing on them, I usually find I've stockpiled a load of unwanted pounds, although I really know when this has happened in my heart...as my clothes are tighter and I feel dreadful. So....to avoid this I sign in here daily, honestly complete my food and exercise diary, and weigh every morning as this has kept me on track.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day...and sometimes twice a day. I know some people say that's bad but it doesn't bother me.

For me it's just curiosity I want to know if that heavy dinner I ate made a difference. I only record my weight when I see a stable loss or gain over a week or more. That works for me.

Some people get discouraged if they see no change over a couple days so they decide only to check once a week. I think that's smart if you are obsessing over it or it really gets to you.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning if I remember to.. most mornings I seem to forget. The scale has never affected how I feel negatively otherwise I'd weigh weekly. Random fluctuations in weight are normal and I just shrug it off and wait to see what happens over the next few days.
  • shivamrana
    Options
    I think the best way to keep track of you weight is weekly. I check every Sunday morning as soon as I wake up. I dont think checking everyday is a good idea because your weight changes everyday and sometimes when you "gain" weight you get discouraged even though it could be water weight or food you just ate.
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself when I wake up and am feeling exceptionally good. Last week, that was twice, before that, it was the middle of September.
  • futuremarathoner81
    Options
    My entire family is working as a team to lose weight. We all weigh-in to my sister-in-law on Mondays. For me, the scale is a major motivational tool. I weigh myself before the weekend and if I haven't lost weight, I head to the Y. So far, it has worked for me!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    used to weigh myself every week but now I only weigh myself if I feel like it. I am trying to focus more on being healthy and dropping inches (which btw are melting off) than obsessing about what the scale says.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    pretty much every morning
  • zaynad
    zaynad Posts: 3
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday monring. It keeps me honest on the weekend.
  • emilygh1974
    emilygh1974 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I have to for accountability. I know that it will flux because of water retention, swollen muscles, etc. etc. etc. and a lot of people can't deal with that, but for me, when I don't make myself get on there every day I end up falling off the wagon. You have to do what you know is best. It also helps me keep it real during certain times of the month or when I've done a particular exercise or had a lot of wine or sodium.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Every other week when I go get my allergy shots and asthma shots. I measure myself once a month.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Weekly, monday mornings as soon as I drag myself out of bed
  • blamse
    blamse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do it daily but can understand why some people may not want to do that. I don't get bent out of shape if I fluctuate a bit on a daily basis, but if I weigh slightly more than I think I will, I usually know what to attribute it to. For me, it's just the best way to keep myself accountable and it works for me. I think the key is to just pick how often you want to weigh yourself, be consistent and stick to it. At the end of the day, how you feel is the best way to measure your success related to your health.
  • katie070563
    Options
    I know most people weight themselves once a week. Some swear off scales completely. And others weight themselves daily. So how often do you weigh yourself and why do you feel that works best for you?

Kmsnomaha....I think your way is the sensible way to do it! I weigh everyday as I just don't trust myself, am happy to accept fluctuations, and keeps me on track......or perhaps I am just obsessive! It works for me at the moment, until I trust myself and become much more confident with what I am doing. However, I would like to get to the point you have reached.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ive started weighing myself on Sundays, first thing in the morning. Im hoping that will help keep me on track and accountable. I am writing my weight on my calendar too so I know my family is seeing those numbers too ~ whether they go up or down.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Every Saturday morning after I get up and have breakfast. I know most say to do it on an empty stomach but that's how I started because I would weigh at weight watchers on saturday mornings at my meetings. I quit ww and I like it here much better, but keeping that same weighing schedule.
  • Pollyanna75
    Options
    I weight myself twice a week, on Sunday mornings, and Thursday mornings. My nutritionist recommended twice a week.

She told me, weighing myself every day would be discouraging, and if doing it once a week, we all have "fat" days and "skinny" days.
  • GrnEyes839
    GrnEyes839 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, and I shouldn't. It doesn't determine my mood, but rather what I know I should or shouldn't eat. I eat very healthy now, exercise every day but Sunday, and so far I'm down over 25 lbs. It's hard battling weight!
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The goal is once/week, on Fridays. But I went about a month without weighing myself because I just didn't feel like the numbers would be good. If I see them go up I get unmotivated. I basically do it when I feel good about how I've been doing.