Rant! cold weather running clothes shopping.

Options
OMG I just had an eye opening experience at a sporting goods store...

I went shopping with the intention of finding a sports bra and running pants. If you have ever been obese or morbidly obese you get use to finding clothes on your own because sales clerks can be evil. Often without even asking how they can help they will either say "we don't carry your size", or give you the look that says the same thing and then do their level best to avoid you and ignore you, or if you're lucky they hover just far enough away to watch you like a shoplifter until you actually have a question or need them when they suddenly become busy and have to go to another department.

In the past few weeks I have noticed this no longer applies to me. I'm still overweight but apparently I'm carrying it very well. Clerks have become crazy helpful, they even pull clothes in my size or smaller that they think might be what I'm looking for. They say hi. They make eye contact. It gives me hope that they are not all evil. But today it crossed a line.

I had a great clerk helping me with the bra and pants but I decide to wander the sales and look at tops, just as I finish selecting a top an older male sales clerk comes up and asks how I'm doing. I say fine and expect him to walk off. He instead decides to tell me a story about the overweight people who run through his neighborhood in their compression pants and tops and about how they need to put more clothes on because he can't get that image out of his mind. I'm sure his whole story only took a minute or two but my mind was in shock and racing with all sorts of things I couldn't get my mouth to say. When he was done and I was able to close my mouth and blink I said; I think that regardless of age and size they should be applauded for getting out there and exercising. He again criticizes their clothing choice, I say to keep in mind that the larger you are the more jiggly bits you want to hold in place so you can be comfortable. He makes some other comment I have mostly blocked out and I follow up with a they are probably less concerned with what you think about their outfit then just being comfortable and getting it done. What I wanted to do was scream at him and point out the merchandise in the store and ask exactly what the hell else they were suppose to wear. Try to be a plus size and find modest, comfortable workout clothing. If you have never been that big and you've had those thoughts about obese people and workout clothes seriously take a look at the racks in your local store and then get over yourself, no one has ever gone blind from looking at a fat person in spandex.

Am I flattered that even with 30 pounds to go just to be a normal BMI a thin, athletic, 40's plus, male, mistook me for someone thin enough to think I might get a kick out of making fun fat people? uuuuh sure, but my inner fat girl is pissed that I didn't give him a what for or talk to his manager. My inner fat girl is pissed that non fat people somehow think this is okay. I had really hoped I had seen the last this ugly bit of difference in the way fat people are treated, unfortunately now I'm just seeing it from the other side.

Replies

• Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh, I would have been LIVID if someone had started talking like that to me. You are a much more patient person than I am. All the clothes I would have been holding would have probably been dropped right where I was, I would have guilt tripped the hell out of that man.

I would call his manager, it may have been a few days since this happened but that should not be allowed, it is EXTREMELY unprofessional to speak of your customers like that. Sounds to me like he needs an attitude readjustment.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Was he really making fun of fat people or was he basically saying that maybe those clothes aren't the most flattering for their figures?
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Wow! What cruel (and unprofessional) things to say! I'm so sorry you had to put up with that! And, yes, you are definitely more patient than I am.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Was he really making fun of fat people or was he basically saying that maybe those clothes aren't the most flattering for their figures?

no, he really was, there were some blindness gestures and mock fat running; he seemed perfectly oblivious as to how not funny I was finding it.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would go to their website and describe what happened. I think its appalling that he would be so insensitive and self serving.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't get it - what possessed him to do that?

I will admit I have to fight off being judgemental when I see an overweight person making choices that won't help their health (the mound of bacon at the breakfast buffet, for example). I would not say anything or joke about it however, as it's not my place and I don't know their situation.

But when I see someone overweight at the gym or out walking or running, my thoughts are only positive - because it has to be hard to go without having that little voice win that tells you that you'll stand out, or people will make fun of you, or at least think you shouldn't be there. Sadly, that guy gives credence to those fears...
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I don't get it - what possessed him to do that?

I will admit I have to fight off being judgemental when I see an overweight person making choices that won't help their health (the mound of bacon at the breakfast buffet, for example). I would not say anything or joke about it however, as it's not my place and I don't know their situation.

But when I see someone overweight at the gym or out walking or running, my thoughts are only positive - because it has to be hard to go without having that little voice win that tells you that you'll stand out, or people will make fun of you, or at least think you shouldn't be there. Sadly, that guy gives credence to those fears...

Yes, This! I have become critical of my food intake and thus I look at other people's plates but I wouldn't dream of commenting, I don't know them or their story. Most important if they are working out I don't care what size they are thin, normal, overweight, obese, morbidly obese, I'm just thrilled they are exercising. It is hard to form and keep a healthy habit like running, or going to the gym so I don't care what they are wearing. It's not a fashion show it's a workout.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I don't think that spandex should be worn as outer wear.....
  • lmdee73
    lmdee73 Posts: 36
    Options
    I say to keep in mind that the larger you are the more jiggly bits you want to hold in place so you can be comfortable.

This!

One....as a larger woman, I am a bit self conscious about the way I look while working out. I do wear bike shorts or leggings, but usually a longer shirt to cover my curves, but seriously.....as repulsive as it may look to some people, they should concentrate more on the fact that larger people are out there exercising.....trying to change their lives! Comments like that definitely aren't encouraging and i'm afraid, like many others, I wouldn't have been so patient with his ignorance!

My comment to him probably would have been "ya know....about six months ago I weighed "x" and I was that fat girl you were just making fun of." It would have been fun watching him dig his way out of that one! :happy: