Medifast Anyone?

So here's the deal -- I'm on my third crack at Medifast. I've had the same box forever, and I just can't seem to stick to it. I do awesome, lose some weight, and then completely lose track. Has anyone here tried it/is currently using the program? How did you keep motivated to stay on it?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    If it's not working for you after 3 tries, why are you still doing it?

Maybe you should try following MFP's plan - eat below your calorie goal and try to hit your macros. Make small changes every week toward better nutrition.

A lot of people have success with this, because it actually helps you learn how to eat healthier, how to manage your calories, how to work around/with holidays, dinners out, parties, aka life in the real world. Relying on packaged food/supplements/shakes/pills for the rest of your life isn't realistic.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

Agreed! Should have mentioned that in my first post :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member

Agreed! Should have mentioned that in my first post :)

THIS ^^^^^^ for the win!
  • jemontague
    jemontague Posts: 7 Member
    I did it and saw significant results in the first month. Was ultra motivated, lost about 25 lbs in the first month. However, the problem I ran into was that there is zero room for error. One review I read was that any slip in the diet would require about 2-3 days to get back the day's loss.

To me, while the results were great in the short run, it was an impossible plan to keep going forward (and expensive).
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    totally agree with this one, makes since and works much better, I can't stick to that low of a restriction either, anymore and I only lose 0.5 to 1 pound a week no matter what I eat so why eat so few calories.
  • Meanwi
    Meanwi Posts: 4
    I did Medifast for 3.5 months and lost almost 30 lbs. Medifast is one of the only things I've found that I can actually take the weight off in a short amount of time with. I loved it....the first week was tough but after that my cravings stopped and was hardly ever hungry being that you were able to eat every few hours. They only problem I had besides that it was expensive was the fact that I was so active that I think I burned off too many calories and my body went into starvation mode and towards the end I wasn't losing weight and was cold and weak all the time. So I decided to get off medifast and try the whole eating healthy thing. I binged the first month and gained 10 lbs back so here I am....trying it the healthy way by counting calories.
  • fishfilet
    fishfilet Posts: 18 Member
    I've been on it since June 30th, and it's been the easiest diet I've ever done. I've lost 29lbs so far. I know a lot of people who have never tried it will immediately write it off, but all I can say is that it's worked well for me. The biggest drawback I've seen, and I'm sure you know, is the cost. The program is quite expensive, but the consistent weight loss has been the biggest motivator for me. Also, having my husband on the program at the same time allowed me to clear the house of all temptations. It really has recalibrated me to eating less, but more frequently and being more conscious of my macros. I realized how I was not eating sufficient protein on a daily basis, and was offsetting this with more carbs than needed. It's helped me think about food differently, which is key to the long term success of the program. I guess the one piece of advice I would recommend is to consider going through the centers vs online. It's more expensive, but the accountability and the convenience of picking up food when needed will help you stay on track. Good luck!
  • tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    I too have been on Medifast since August 2012 and absolutely love the program. I don't have a whole lot of weight to lose and was kind of frustrated at first because I had only lost 10 pounds in a month but I had lost 13.5 inches which is way better! My husband and I are also on the program together so that makes a huge difference but it also costs us twice as much. I know the program isn't for everyone, but it too has helped us change our lifestyle and think about food differently and choices that we make. I also have started to work out and it has kind of slowed down my weight loss so I need to make some adjustments but that is why it is great to go and see the counselors every week and talk to them about what changes need to be made. I still have about 25 pounds to go but I feel better than I have in a long time so it is well worth it. :smile:
  • emilygh1974
    emilygh1974 Posts: 65 Member
    I did MF a few years ago and lost about 35 lbs. Kept it off for about a year, but really, who can eat like that forever? I also have issues with all the soy, I start to get really weird...