1/2 marathon question

Options
I am participating in a 1/2 marathon in two weeks from yesterday. My training schedule got a little wonky and my longest run has only been 10 miles in 1:45. My question is, since I only have one long run opportunity left this weekend, how far should I try to go?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'd go 10-11 if you're feeling good. If not, then cut it off at 8 or 9.

Just my $.02
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Agree 10-11 easy pace...if your not feeling it cut it short. You will want to wind down training leading up to the race so you have fresh legs. That said, if you have 10 under your belt you will finish just fine, just don't go out too fast, your training and the race adrenaline will carry you through.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    instead of making another thread i figured i'd add on another question to your post if you dont mind......

i'm going to start at the end of october training for the next princess half in disney (late feb 2013) and i would like to run this whole race versus doing run/walk intervals like i have on the last 2 halves that i have completed....suggestions for running training programs that have worked for any of you please????? i have done the galloway method and another one i can't remember what it was called.....my last 1/2 time was 2:54 with 2/1 intervals...i'd love to improve my time but more than anything i just want to complete the 13.1 miles at a "running" pace.....thanks in advance...denise
  • rmcannell
    rmcannell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in May with my longest run being 10 miles. We were supposed to go up to 12 but didn't. There was an attempted 11 miler that ended early and not so well. Finished the race with energy to spare in 2:27, so don't be too worried about your training schedule. Whatever you decide to do for your last long run, you should be plenty prepared for the race. Good luck!
  • cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

To Denise: I have found just increasing my weekly mileage has helped me strengthen my legs and endurance. I haven't done a program persay, just pushed myself to do the very best I can.
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have done plenty of half marathons with my longest run being 10 miles and no problems. The most important thing is being well rested for the race. With a week to spare, I would go at another 10 and see where it takes you.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I agree with the general consensus of around 10 miles. Just run it easy. You'll do fine.
  • warrenvalley
    warrenvalley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you're two weeks out from the race, 10 is good. For my first I ran no further than 10 and finished in a respectable time for the hilly terrain.

If you're looking at the weekend right before the race, I wouldn't go farther than 8 - more like 6. You really want fresh legs. One thing I've read is that there's nothing you can gain from a really long run within two weeks from the race - but you can hurt yourself.

Trust your training.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    For my last long race before my Half I ran 10 miles. Training schedule suggested 12 but thought best not to push it a week before the race.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    This close to the race, and assuming your long runs are on the weekend (and thus you are asking how far to go 7 days before your race), I don't think I'd try to go 10. Maybe 7 or 8, and not very hard.

I wouldn't worry too much about not doing race distance yet. There are a ton of half marathon training plans out there that cap the long run at 10 miles, usually 2 or 3 weeks before the race. Make sure you taper for the last few days, and good luck!
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    I think Galloway (and his mentor, Amby Burfoot) is on to something, and I like the fact that he doesn't assume we are all elite runners (like so many others).

But if you want to try running the whole thing, I recommend either halhigdon.com or mcmillanrunning.com. These coaches have been at it for decades and offer really good advice about training. I followed Higdon for my last full marathon and dropped almost 30 minutes off my PR.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    This close to the race, and assuming your long runs are on the weekend (and thus you are asking how far to go 7 days before your race), I don't think I'd try to go 10. Maybe 7 or 8, and not very hard.

I wouldn't worry too much about not doing race distance yet. There are a ton of half marathon training plans out there that cap the long run at 10 miles, usually 2 or 3 weeks before the race. Make sure you taper for the last few days, and good luck!

Though we are in the minority; I agree with this post. If this is your first 1/2 and depending how your training went I wouldn't try for 10 this weekend with a week to recover, if you were less than 3 weeks sure. Tapering is neccessary and you've done 10 and with the feeling of the race you'll be able to do the full length. In fact the Higdon program I was using didn't have you go the full distance. I did 12 on Sunday and my 1/2 is the 21st. It's all rest and recovery short runs from here.
  • bankmd
    bankmd Posts: 20
    Options
    If 10 was your longest, and you have not done more than that recently, Within two weeks of a race, you should be in your taper. So you should NOT run a long run that feels like a challenging distance. You want your body to recover and rebuild from your training. Mentally, it might help to know that you can get closer to 13.1 so it is tempting to run further than 8. But you just have to believe. When you are recovered a bit from training, have the adrenaline, and folks out there cheering, you will be fine. I still remember how psyched I was to finish my first half over 12 years ago :-)
  • bankmd
    bankmd Posts: 20
    Options
    Oops! I meant to recommend 6 to 8 miles!