What's the point?

Options
2»

Replies

• StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who think it's hormonal...I took welbutrin to stop smoking and take metformin, they, in regards weight gain/loss, should cancel each other out, metformin has been shown to help people lose weight, not a lot of it, but some.

Also, as another posted, Log EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth and walk, walk walk...I know, I hate walking, but I walk at least an hour a day/5 days/week, start by walking away from your house for 5 mins then walk back...that's ten minutes...then go a minute farther each day. It doesn't even have to be fast, just walk.
  • natashamier
    natashamier Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the input. I have considered surgery, though it is not ideal. My doc said that around here at least, they won't do it until 35 or older. So, I guess that's a dead end.

As for the medicines, I have been on them since May. I will talk to my doc about alternatives; she put me on these because there was supposed to be weight loss as a side effect. >.<

I do log everything. I go between biking, treadmill, and a weight/cardio circuit at the gym.

*edited for spelling
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Print out your diets, exercise, etc and show your doctor how you've been trying. I would beg for more tests!
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My doc did one of the two thyroid tests. It was normal. She won't do the other, though. I need to see an endocrinologist. I haven't been tested for PCOS. I've brought that possibility up to her, though.

Also, as an aside, I am currently on Metformin and Wellbutrin.

I have been on Metformin for years. I am hoping that I can stop taking it when I lose more weight. It did not help me lose weight at all. If anything it made me gain.
  • Those ten points are very valid, appreciate that, being strict and just doing it!
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would consider seeing a new doctor and getting a second opinion. They can run you the tests again, try new things and give you different options to what you are doing now.

Don't give up hope!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Just saying.... Metformin and Wellbutrin are awful for me. I don't take either. I would get off that crap and work on eating clean, lower carb for your obvious insulin issue (since you're on Metformin) and lower sodium. See what happens.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what about on the tape measure and your clothes fitting? are you noticing a loss in those?
    do you have a history of yoyo diets ?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose, in fact I gained, and I tried for 15 years. We are all different. I had thyroid and adrenal fatigue issues and once those were addressed there was still no magic pill. For me it was taking a good look at what I was eating, AN HONEST LOOK, people do play mental accounting games and incorrect estimates in logging, all people do. For me it didn't seem fair, but I needed to eat less. It was hard. It still took two years. But once you find the right amount of calories for a true calorie deficit and stick with it long enough the weight will drop. This is what I finally had to do ==> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

It's human nature to want to feel like a snow flake, but it really comes down to a simple calorie deficit for everyone.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am at the point where I am ditching the scale. I have been at this a long time and have not lost much considering. But I have gained a few things. I have gained a love of exercise and moving my body, I have gained endurance (I love running for the first time in my life) and now I am lifting weights. It is easy to give up buuuut if you are not maintaining or losing, you will be gaining. Taking care of your body is for life, this is not a temporary diet that you quit once you are done, you are never done and this is the biggest thing you have to realize. There might be a good reason for you not losing you just have to explore and take your own health into your hands. You have to be really honest with yourself. Portion control for me is a problem but I eat extremely healthy. I have also tried a lot of different things to lose weight but since I know this is for life, I need to really focus on what I can keep up for life. This is never ending and you will only be successful once you realize that.
  • tomalbrighton
    tomalbrighton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As other people have noted, a little obsession can be good, but not if it's bringing you down. As an alternative, you might like to look at Paul McKenna's book 'I Can Make You Thin'. It is very short and easy to read, and at less than $8 you can't really go wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Make-You-Thin-Revolutionary/dp/1402775547/ref=pd_sim_b_1

There is no calorie counting, no nutrition guidance, no numbers and no targets – just four simple rules, plus a hypnotherapy CD to make it easier to follow them. The hypnotherapy is nothing scary, you just put it on your iPod or whatever while you fall asleep.

Paul discourages weighing, instead encouraging you to visualise success and check how your body feels and your clothes fit. You can weigh every two weeks if you really want to.

Although I'm now doing MFP, I previously took two inches off my waistline in a couple of months with this system.

I can get really anxious if I feel that 'it's not working', which can become a self-fulfilling prophecy if you're not careful. Paul's techniques help you to break free of that, partly through the hypnotherapy, which instils positive beliefs without you realising.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can get really anxious if I feel that 'it's not working', which can become a self-fulfilling prophecy if you're not careful. Paul's techniques help you to break free of that, partly through the hypnotherapy, which instils positive beliefs without you realising.

This is exactly why I've gone back to the Paul McKenna CD this week. I was getting very stressed out about my weight and when I've used his CD in the past it's just chnaged my mindset and outlook entirely. It just instils confidence in me. It's wonderful.

I realise it's not for everyone (and hypnosis will not work if you're not willing to surrender to it) but I'm pretty suggestible, so it works a treat!