Runners how to convince myself

Options
to run intervals...i've done long distances up 9 miles. If I find a sitter by wednesday I'm doing my first 1/2 on sunday. I don't think I can run the whole thing, but I've decided I just want to finish..and go from there the next time I have a 1/2. I just don't know how I'm gonna convince myself to run less than I'm used to running.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Why do you want/need to run intervals?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about speedwork, try some fartleks for starters

or perhaps you can talking about a run/walk plan for your race this weekend??
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm feeling very not optimistic for running the whole thing an lots of ppl have suggested doing run/walk intervals. My main goal is to just finish. My next goal is to run the whole thing.
  • warrenvalley
    warrenvalley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try breaking up the race into chunks and purposely walk for one-minute at certain mile markers or at the water stations. For example, you can think of it as running two 5-mile runs and one 5K.
  • maybabier
    maybabier Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Run as far as you can. If your goal is to finish, at least try to achieve "running the entire race" then walk if you need. You will be surprised what your body can handle.

I signed up for a 10k but accidently got onto the 1/2 marathon path, I wasn't mentally prepared I also never ran more than 9. I ended up doing run/walk intervals for my last 5 miles. Just make sure when you are walking, make it a point to pick up the pace and run again.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm feeling very not optimistic for running the whole thing an lots of ppl have suggested doing run/walk intervals. My main goal is to just finish. My next goal is to run the whole thing.

If you really want to run the whole thing (and haven't trained to do so), then your pace is going to be key. You have to go out at a very easy pace.
  • ekogan
    ekogan Posts: 1
    Options
    I just did my first half this past weekend and I too find 9 miles doable; it's the last 4 that are tough. Try to run between the water stations and then walk through them and a little bit afterwards. They will likely be spaced every 2-3 miles so you can break it down into smaller segments. If you listen to music while you run, make a playlist that has faster songs that will last you 2-2 1/2 miles and then throw in a slower beat song. Follow the music, which should line up with the water breaks. And I agree about pace. Don't get caught up in the excitement and run your first mile or two at too fast a pace.

And enjoy yourself. If you can make it 9 miles, you'll finish 13. Have fun!!
  • sgmomma
    Options
    Thanks everyone this helps a lot. Now if we can just find a sitter and I can choke down my nerves/intimidation!
  • jekissa729
    Options
    I run at about a pace of 11:30 min/mile and find that I am able to run long distances at this pace. I think if you are able to run 9 miles, you will probably be able to run a half...just go slow and try not to get caught up with all the adrenaline. I recently just purchased energy gels as I start to get tired around mile 6. I am hoping to run my first half within the next month or so. Good luck! :smile:
  • Hi,
    I am new on here and I just wondered how you learn to run for at least two miles, I run a little but Im finding it hard is this just down to getting fitter or how do you build up to run everyday any running advice needed thanks chris
  • sgmomma
    Options
    Hi,
    I am new on here and I just wondered how you learn to run for at least two miles, I run a little but Im finding it hard is this just down to getting fitter or how do you build up to run everyday any running advice needed thanks chris

Google couch 2 5k