P90X advice?

Options
Hi MFPers!

I'm starting P90X this afternoon and am really looking forward to it - but I'm wondering if anyone out there who has done the program has any advice for me? I'm only doing the exercise portion, not the eating plan since it's pretty meat-centric. I eat pretty well in general (vegetarian, and I make most of my own food from scratch) though I will be making an effort to cut my sugar intake in half, since sugar is my weakness.

I'm 5'6" tall, I haven't weighed myself in a while but I'm guessing I'm somewhere around 145-150lbs; I've got good base strength, but I want to gain lean muscle and get down somewhere into the 120's.

My only safety/injury concern is my knees - no past injuries or anything, they just get sore when I do high-impact stuff and if I'm not careful I end up in a brace for a day or two.

That said, anyone have any advice? Thanks!! ^_^

Replies

• kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian can do the program no problem! The trainer, Tony Horton, is a vegan!

Just make sure to ramp up your proteins! Sugar is a weakness of mine too! I messaged you and I will send a friend request!

:)
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    In terms of your knee, keep your eye on the modifiers in each workout and do what works best for you! Listen to your body and you will love the program! I foiund during the plyo workout at the beginning my knees were getting sore so I followed Pam (the modifier) and after a while, I was able to do more!

I hope I helped!
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    The biggest key to success is to modify, not every move, but anything you may be having difficulty with. Whether thats pushups on your knees, assisted pullups or bands, not moving as fast, or jumping as high,, these are all key to your success. Some of the workouts can be tough at times, but that's why they usually show you an easier version, I know I still lean towards some easier versions, not a lot, but the ones that are bothersome to my knee or back. Other than that, its just about doing your best.

The only workout that will probably effect your knee is Plyo, its high impact, and can be tough on the joints. Just learn the modifications, and take it easy in the beginning, and you'll be fine.

- Adam

feel free to add me, I've been doing P90X off and on for years.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would agree with wolfe. Don't be afraid to stop and/or modify. It may take a while. Watch out for Plyo with knees as well. It is a beast. Many times Tony Horton suggests moves that you can do to modify and if you have issues for certain parts of the body.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If your not going to follow the eating plan, make sure you at least try to get more protein than you normally do (100g min a day) and eat around the level they recommend you eat.. I see posts where people do the program and they still eat 1200 calories a day and see no changes.. you need to fuel your body to see results that you expect with this program...
    Have fun, I subbed out the Yoga X with Cardio X after about the first month and a half cause doing 1.5 hours was just way too much and too long...
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I would just make sure that your form is correct during the strength exercises, especially during the legs workout. The only high impact workout is Plyo so just make sure that you land softly and not pound the floor when you land. Just do your best, you dont have to try to do as many reps as they do or go as fast as they do. Good luck! Do your best and forget the rest! lol
  • Chopper88
    Options
    You should have no problems. As far as the knew goes you can modify any high impact activity to suit you so you don't injure yourself. You can have success with the program building lean muscle and tone/definition. In order to do this just use lighter weights and higher reps.

Nutrition shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I would maybe be concerned with is your protein levels. Just watch those on mfp.

Other than that you should kick butt. Just stay with it no matter how frustrating it may be at the beginning and you will be very happy week after week. And modify anything you can't do with proper form. Like today your going to have to do a lot of push ups. If you struggle with push ups hit your knees.

Just keep working and it will be worth it.

Good luck to you!
  • leilamarchi
    Options
    Thanks for the advice you guys! About a year and a half ago I was super-active, was taking fitness classes at my gym 5+ times/week, but then they cracked down on the lunch "hour" and there wasn't enough time to go when the classes were being offered, then I went through a divorce and fitness slid by the wayside, and most recently I moved to a new job/new building with a small gym where the classes are either not that effective, or great but they hit capacity before I can get there!

Excuses, excuses; I know. But I'm excited to be friends with my body again!! And given my historical activity levels & capability, I think I'll fall back into the patterns pretty quickly. I'll make sure to take some "before" pictures so I'll have a visual record to track from!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes, as stated, make adjustments if your body isn't agreeing with the motions. Ease into things as to not get injured. Be sure to stretch before. Also, don't worry so much about reaching a certain weight, just get your lean muscle and drop inches in fat and don't let the scale be the deciding factor. Let your body settle where it wants...

There is a lot of activity on Youtube for P90x and other various programs as well, so you can likely find more community and people there as well as here. I find some of the before and after stories to be pretty inspirational, although it's been a while since I looked thru them.
  • The_Dude
    The_Dude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Regarding your plan not to follow the nutrition guide and still expecting to lose 30 pounds. You may be disappointed. Weight loss is much more about the food you eat than the exercise you do. My wife and I are doing P90X and she is vegetarian who typically gets most of her calories from carbs so getting 50% of her calories from protein requires eating quite a different diet than her normal one.

Your on MFP so I assume you are using the app/site. Just set your macros to the goals of the phase of workout you are on and find healthy vegetarian choices that get you there (e.g. phase 1 50% protein 30% carbs 20% fat). Hopefully, you like tofu and other higher protein vegetarian sources.
  • leilamarchi
    Options
    Regarding your plan not to follow the nutrition guide and still expecting to lose 30 pounds. You may be disappointed. Weight loss is much more about the food you eat than the exercise you do. My wife and I are doing P90X and she is vegetarian who typically gets most of her calories from carbs so getting 50% of her calories from protein requires eating quite a different diet than her normal one.

Your on MFP so I assume you are using the app/site. Just set your macros to the goals of the phase of workout you are on and find healthy vegetarian choices that get you there (e.g. phase 1 50% protein 30% carbs 20% fat). Hopefully, you like tofu and other higher protein vegetarian sources.

True that - and lucky for me, I love tofu, quinoa, beans, lentils, nut butters, tempeh etc - the classic veggie protein sources. Technically I'm a lacto-ovo-pescatarian (vegetarian is just easier for people who don't know the Latin roots LOL), so fish is a protein option for me too.

I usually try to eat about a 2:1:1 ratio of veggies:protein:carbs, and my carbs are always "whole" - I don't eat white flour/sugar except for occasional white rice with sushi, otherwise it's all whole grains and brown rice. So I'll definitely be adjusting the ratio to account for the extra protein needed. Thanks for the tip!

About 7 years ago I did the Provida Life Science 6-week body makeover, which was ALL about the foods you eat, and with no exercise at all I did lose 30 pounds (started at 158), but in order to do so I had to cut out all sugar, most carbs, all salt, and all dairy. Forever, if I wanted to maintain. And I was like....yeah that's not a lifestyle, that's self-imposed torture forever.

That year and a half ago I mentioned, I was eating ~1300 calories a day at my basic 2:1:1, and with the fitness classes I was taking 5 days a week (challenging, but it doesn't sound like they're as challenging as p90X), I initially lost about 10 lbs and was maintaining at 130ish.

If I don't lose a full 30 lbs this time around, that's fine. I'm more concerned about being more fit, and having my clothes fitting better, than about a specific number on the scale.