Shoes issues.

Options
I live in an area with a great local running store where they do an assessment of your gait before bringing out several different shoes to try.

The first time I went, I got a pair of Brooks. They were great in store but they just HURT once I started actually wearing them. In my left foot in particular, I was experiencing a lot of achy pain in my arch, like when I walk barefoot outside or in a pair of flat flip-flops for too long. There were a few other small issues, but that was the main problem.

They did an exchange and assessed my walk again and said I over-pronate a little bit and that I did probably need more arch support than the Brooks were giving me, so I got a pair of Gel-Cirrus Asics instead. This pair is great in every aspect, except now my RIGHT foot feels exactly like my left foot did in the Brooks?

Do they just need to be broken in or what? Has anyone experienced this kind of thing? I am mostly confused as to why I would have that feeling of too little support in my left foot, switch to a more supportive shoe, and then have the feeling in my RIGHT foot but not my left. :/

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    first did your profile pic just change. i read your post clicked to respond and the pic was different. LOL!

maybe your feet are different. size can be different (and usually is) mine are 4 and a 4.5 (yes i have small feet) and they turn in (they're crooked) but one is worse than the other. have you thought about trying on the brooks on the right foot and the new shoe on the left foot? i know it's crazy but you never know - it might just make your feet feel better.

another thought is arch supports in one shoe or extra cushioning in just one shoe.
  • SeamsSewWright
    Options
    Are you new to running? Take it slow, go for a long walk and pay attention to your stride. Keep working with the store to get good shoes for yourself.
    My advice? Stop wearing flip flops. Get a good pair of cross trainers and visit a podiatrist before you hurt yourself. Running is an excellent way to be in shape, but if you're serious, take the time to talk to a doctor to know the true facts about yourself.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I make sure that my shoes handle the pronation, and I use orthotics to handle any arch issues or issues with Plantar Fasciitis. In general, the NB, Brooks and Asics stability shoes are all excellent for mild over pronation. I've worn them all and I like them all. They each have their own features that make them more or less suitable for different types of runs - I like NB for speed, Asics for an every day mid mile trainer and for off road use, and I like Brooks for distance. That's just me. I like to lean towards NB because most models are made in the USA... but they've messed with their chi the last few years (IMO) after discontinuing the 767 shoe :(

If you have one foot that fits a shoe differently than the other, orthotics will be your best bet. You may only need it in one foot. If your issues are mild, then a low-mid priced one ($30-$100) might work fine. If your issues are more severe, you may need to consult with a medical professional. ($350+ and may or may not be covered by insurance) If your shoe store is any good, they'll have several options.
  • nikwhit2002
    nikwhit2002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have suffered pain from training shoes, couldn't find ones that didn't hurt in some way. Was talked into trying Vibram Five Fingers and haven't looked back. They are awesome for everything from gym to road running and off road. They are great. Takes a while to get over the freaky look but its a good conversation starter too :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Definitely stop wearing flip flops and start walking around barefoot!

Vibrams - worth a try when walking or taking a gentle run on rougher ground. Try running barefoot for a few yards and see how that feels. If you decide to do more take it easy and build slowly.

Running shoes are greatly overrated.