Raw Foods

Do any of you stick to a raw food diet? I am thinking of doing it for a short time, as a "cleanse" of sorts, but I don't know much about it. What do your meals look like? Can you eat foods like nuts and seeds? Just looking for a litte guidance!

Replies

• SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    I am on a program called Raw Promise. It's primarily a cluster of raw food consisting of nuts, seeds, and fruits. During the day you actually add your own raw vegetables such as carrots and celery, For dinner you have a sensible meal. It doesn't have to be raw though. I usually have salmon and spinach. The problem with the program is it's very expensive and it leaves me wanting. Also the food is not in the MFP database. But it is delicious and my friend went from size 30 to size 18. So I have been eating it and am hoping I have some results. Good luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • joyalina
    joyalina Posts: 2 Member
    On a raw food diet you can't eat cooked or processed foods. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc. are all fine. Certain dehydrated foods are also OK, but it has to be done at a low heat (usually between 105 - 110 F). I "went raw" for a few months but found that it was too time intensive to maintain as a lifestyle. It definitely worked as a cleanse/detox though. After three weeks or so, I had a ton of energy, my skin looked amazing, I was no longer heavy or bloated, and I felt really healthy and happy in my own body! On the other hand: because the diet encourages you to eat fresh, organic food, I found that I was ALWAYS shopping. And while I love Farmers' Markets, that stuff can get expensive!

Sample meal ideas: breakfasts were usually a fruit-veggie juice drink or smoothie, lunches were almost always salad with lots of fresh veggies, and for dinner I ate a lot of sushi. I also bought a couple of raw food recipe books. My attempts at "real food" with raw food (like raw food "tacos") were pretty labor intensive, and never quite what I had hoped for. But they did break up the monotony of juice and salads. Finally, if you're going to try this diet, make sure to incorporate a lot of healthy fat (avocados, nuts, etc.) into your meals, or you will be hungry ALL THE TIME.

I tried this a number of years ago, and there wasn't that much information out there. Now, though, I think you can find a fair amount of information, recipes, etc. on the internet. I thought Natalia Rose's book, The Raw Food Detox Diet, was also really helpful and had some great recipes. Good luck on your raw food journey!
  • If you want to eat only raw foods for a few days to lose weight a great way to do it is to juice or blend a bunch of fruits and veggies for meals. No sugar just natural foods, you can lose weight really fast by doing a three day or ten day juice detox and it really is simple. There are a ton of very yummy and healthy blends you can do. Good Luck(:
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Well i rarley cook my veggies ever... i etheir eat them raw. or juice them but iv never been on just raw veggies... liike thats all i ate because you need your protein ect...