Funny Asian Parents

Options
Tried this calorie count diet for almost a week now. I'm having lots of success. Short time, but I feel 18 again. My goal was to lose 15 or 10 pounds. My parents have told me how chubby I got this year. I was in an accident, and since they didn't go through the pain, they can be insensitive sometimes. But, I used it as encouragement. My father cooks like it's for a small army. He and I would down bowls and plates of Vietnamese or Mexican food equaling 4-6 servings in one seating. Being 5'5'' and 165 pounds is not ideal for me. Even if I gained that when I use to body build.

I'm allowed to have 1200 calories a day to get to my goal of 145-150lbs and it has worked to encourage me to do plenty of cardio so I can eat a bit more. I'm still lifting weights, but I'm careful not to strain my lower back since that's where my injury is. I've already lost weight because of my will and my family genes.

There lies a weird problem. Because my dad and mum cook like maniacs without thinking about calories and whatnot, I've been eating small portions to counter the high cal diet they eat all the time. My dad is mad there are leftovers and I'm pumping my guns. My mum misses my chubby cheeks. She wants them back. Hannibal Lector creepy right? My dad grew a little cold for a few days, because last week I skipped some of his dinners to watch my cal count and not over do my cardio training.

Gotta love karma haha! No, I love them hehe. I just wanted to share this. I'm doing what I need to lose weight and be healthier, and was curious what people thought about this and if anyone is going through the same thing. lol

I suppose I can add the fact that I use the negative comments from family to encourage myself has worked for me. I hope I helped out some of you out there. Thanks. :)

Replies

• JohnMessmer
    Options
    Good Job, Sometimes our families don't support our choices, but they are our choices. Keep up the great work!
  • HerPanda
    Options
    Thank you! I've got a left leg cramp so I'm gonna take it a little easier today. :)
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I have my own family now, but when I go to see my parents or my husbands Grandmother, its an all out food war! They want to feed us, and they do not want leftovers, my GMIL thinks if we dont eat it all, that it wasnt good food and then she feels bad for cooking up a 17 course meal that she feels wasnt appreciated. As far as your parents telling you that you were getting a little chubby, well, I agree with that response. I feel its our duty as parents, spouses, family members, to let our loved ones know what we see. I do not wish the same fate on our daughter as I have had, being overweight and having to struggle and learn how to eat properly to get the weight back off. It may be tough love, but it doesnt mean they love you any less.
  • HerPanda
    Options
    That's true. She was trying to put a funny spin on it when she was telling me. That's why I'm not mad. haha There were times during the year she would be a little more harsh, but not lately! I'm thankful I'm not alone on this. Thanks. :)