Beginner at running/jogging

Options
I'd love to be able to jog/run without feeling like I'm going to die!

Any tips/advice on how to start out would be really great :smile:

It's quite hilly near me and I don't get a chance till really late at night to go out, is it completely pointless to do it so late at night?

Thank you in advance xx!!

Replies

• bohrsy88
    bohrsy88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hey hun,,im no expert but i could only run 3 mins a couple of months ago and now im running 35/40 mins. I would suggest set yourself a aim like 5k. . and download walk/run program. There are loads out there you just need one that you feel fits your ability.. you cover the 5k distance but you do it by jogging then walking then jogging etc. As you improve you run longer and walk less.

I did that until I got up to running the full 5k.

I work late and shift work/night shifts but i still manage to get out there just make sure you keep to lit areas and keep safe..find a running buddy if you can. I go alone but stick to the streets that are lit and populated.

On theweekend you can to the park or something and enjoy nice daylight runs!

My main tip would be dont overdo it too soon..keep comfortable and stretch well before and after/warm up so to avoid injuries. I find a goo music playlist does wonders to keep me motivated on my runs too!

As for hills...if you can run hills it will improve your fitness no end but its good to do flat when you start out i think or its a bit hard..

GOOD LUCK!
  • almapig1
    Options
    I totally agree with you Amanda!!! I dislike running and I keep getting out there hoping I don't die. The only advice I have for you is try to take someone with you. My husband runs with me (the two times I have gone so far) and we take the dog. Without him, I wouldn't make it to the end of my street.

I have run at night: bright colors and bring a flashlight.

But any advice for beginner runners would be appreciated by me as well. I signed up for a 5k in Detroit on Thanksgiving morning. I have a month and a half to train but I am not sure how to. I am a figureskater and I skate three times a week, 50 minutes each but skating doesnt take it out of me the way running does. Any help?

Thanks again
    Katherine
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the couch to 5k as a great way of improving your fitness. Have a look at the NHS Choices plan which you can download free. Hills will make it more challenging right from the start, but there are benefits there too... I live in a hilly area too, but have managed to work out a variety of routes according to quite how brave I'm feeling on any given day. (I'm sort if thinking that once I'm running 5k regularly I can introduce more of the hills rather than keeping to the flattest routes I can find!)

Take sensible safety precautions if you're running alone at night.
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying :)

I'll try downloading a walk/run programme! :happy:

Unfortunately I'll have to go it alone as I don't know anyone around my area and the other half will be looking after the little one while I'm out (plus him - run - HA!:tongue: )

First things first I guess - I need some running shoes :grumble:
  • Amanda21202
    Options
    I've just read the Couch to 5k and I don't know how I'm meant to time 60 seconds and 90 seconds etc, I'll be too busy concentrating on not dying...lol
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just started training for a 24 week program for a Half Marathon (what can I say, I am a glutton for punishment lol)

Start out walking, then walk faster, and faster, until you can complete a couple miles without becoming winded at all. Then move up to something more advanced. The best advice I received was "If you are walking and can't hold a conversation at the same time, you are walking to fast."

I only started the marathon program after walking every day with a co-worker for about 3/4 weeks, chatting with her for 2 miles daily. Then I realized "Holy ****, I am pulling a 17min mile without breaking stride, stopping and I am talking." Then I moved on to the jog for 30, walk for 60 and found out, I could hold a conversation between the jogs and I didn't feel like I was going to die. The program though assumed I was able to walk 2 miles without stopping.

I use a treadmill with a handy clock on it to time mine, but usually you can guesstimate while walking/running, assume that every 4 steps while jogging is 1 second, then 2 seconds for every step while walking. Or you can get a watch with a second timer on it, that would be the most ideal. And if you forget where you are (which I have done) just go to the next step on the next rounded number.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You can download apps or buy an interval timer.
  • bohrsy88
    bohrsy88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've also used couch to 5k by nhs download it to your phone or iPod and it tells u when to run and walk x
  • Amanda21202
    Options
    Brilliant :) i've downloaded it now cant wait to start
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The other thing to add when just starting is get yourself a good pair of shoes and ice. Any soreness, make sure you ice it.

You will most likely get shin splints at the beginning. They hurt but your muscles will build up. Running is hard, and that is why not everyone does it. But if you make it through the first bits of pain, you'll love it in the end.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I started slow and hilly is an understandment. Lol I live in the Colorado. I started with 30 sec run 30 sc walk for a week and increased every week from there I now run 6 min walk 15 sec. You can do it
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to jog/run without feeling like I'm going to die!

Any tips/advice on how to start out would be really great :smile:

It's quite hilly near me and I don't get a chance till really late at night to go out, is it completely pointless to do it so late at night?

Thank you in advance xx!!

Couch to 5k... I can't say enough good about it. And when you are starting out, make sure your "run" is nearly as slow as your walk. Start slowly to build endurance. And have fun! Running is a fun!
  • simplycee
    Options
    I started running last year and by no means consider myself a pro BUT one thing I learned from a pro was to shorten my stride and pace myself. My best adivce is when you are first starting to run, your pace should be not much faster than your fastest walk. I kept this in mind as I was doing Couch25K. My daughter and son used to laugh at me in the beginning but I kept at it. There were times that I thought I was going to die but I slowed my pace and eventually worked up to where I am now. Today I can run 4 miles and enjoy it. Last year this time I was running 90 seconds. So watch your pace and stride. Unless you are really running for time no need to go too fast. Eventually, as you progress, you will get faster. HTH