New Pre/Post Work-out Drink Additives Wanted

Options
Hi all,

I like to drink a soy protein drink before I go to the gym to lift wights, and before I ride my bicycle...

There appear to be at least a million supplements, and extracts and vitamin drops and amino acid blends, ad infinitum, so
I'd like some ideas from those of you who strength train and do running or cycling.

This is my current daily Pre w/o drink:

2 Scoops protein powder (No whey)
2 tbsp raw oat bran
2 tbsp toasted wheat germ
8 -12 oz cold water

I do the same thing Post work-out, but add 1/2 medium banana
or a cup of frozen strawberries or blueberries.

....I want to take my shakes to the next level...Thanks for your help! :drinker:

Lo in Florida

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I would ditch the soy, very bad for you. It elevates estrogen… not good! I would say go for kefir… it is a cultured milk, so there is whey… but it is virtually lactose free and full of probiotics… If you would like my full recipe for my post workout shake, I will give it to you.
  • Gongfu_Life
    Options
    I would ditch the soy, very bad for you. It elevates estrogen… not good! I would say go for kefir… it is a cultured milk, so there is whey… but it is virtually lactose free and full of probiotics… If you would like my full recipe for my post workout shake, I will give it to you.

I would love your recipe, thank you.....

As for the soy intake, there are a couple of varying scientific schools of thought....

Lotta hysteria in the news the past few years, but no real solid proof that soy actually increases the levels of the hormone in men.

One school holds that when you have an adequate amount of estrogen in your system, the isoflavones contained in soy actually block estrogen from bonding to the cells... so you therefore maintain a constant level of estrogen....In other words, the soy contains it's own estrogen governor. At any rate, I've never had any trouble with it.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    1 raw egg (preferably with good Omega-3 content)
    3/4C Lifeway plain lowfat kefir
    1 Scoop Strawberry (or whatever you want) Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey
    1 Tbsp Bee Pollen Granules
    5g Optimum Nutrition (or any Creapure creatine) Micronized Creatine
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1C Water

Add egg followed by kefir, add powders and pollen granules, then add water. (I use a GNC shaker with the whisk looking ball in it.) Shake well. I take a multi-vit/min pill with it, and if I had forgotten my B-complex with breakfast I add it now.

Until a couple days ago I was using rice milk instead of water, but I wanted to cut back on carbs so I went to water. It still tastes great, but the rice milk makes it taste better.
  • alie001
    alie001 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I try all different kinds of smoothie ideas and they are alot like what you are already doing, although I add Flax or hemp seeds, cottage cheese as my lactose, or even cold green tea as my water. I have never heard of the soy debate about hormones etc. but I am a believer in moderation and personal preference.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    This workout shake was concocted after hundreds of hours of reading and research into post workout recovery and nutrition. It tastes great and is really a whole food. It is a nutritious recovery meal! The cinnamon will help with glycogen stores, the bee pollen is a full protein food loaded with vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients. Good quality eggs help with your Omega-3s. The kefir is full of probiotics (12 different strains) as well as B vitamins. The live cultures have predigested the sugar and protein (casein and whey), which helps with bio-availability. The creatine helps with muscle recovery and strength so that you can work out harder and have better gains. The water thins it out.

Overall, this is not just a work-out recovery, but an immune booster and digestive aid and it tastes fantastic! I hope you like it!!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I try all different kinds of smoothie ideas and they are alot like what you are already doing, although I add Flax or hemp seeds, cottage cheese as my lactose, or even cold green tea as my water. I have never heard of the soy debate about hormones etc. but I am a believer in moderation and personal preference.
    I want to start using hemp seeds in my breakfast smoothies, but they are so spendy. How much do you use per smoothie?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Get your diet and exercise routine on point before worrying about various supps
  • zane2003
    zane2003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why cant Whey be used for protein supplement ?
  • Gongfu_Life
    Options
    Get your diet and exercise routine on point before worrying about various supps

I asked for ideas for things to add to the shakes/beverages that I'm already making daily.... ..Your advice on whether or not I should drink them was not asked for....and it's not helpful.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same myself. If lactose is an issue, purchase whey isolate rather than whey concentrate.
  • Gongfu_Life
    Options

Hi, thanks for asking...When I get over a certain level of dairy product intake 9and I'm never sure what that level is, as it varies) I get brutal arthritis flare-ups in my thumbs and wrists. Since I switched to soy, pea and rice protein, it's all but vanished.

Have any good drink recipes?
  • Gongfu_Life
    Options
    [
  • Gongfu_Life
    Options
    Wondering the same myself. If lactose is an issue, purchase whey isolate rather than whey concentrate.

Good point....I wonder if the isolate would make a difference.

I was drinking EAS whey protein last Spring and it flared it all up ., very badly...Not sure what it contained, but it scared me straight, man.
  • Gongfu_Life
    Options
    1 raw egg (preferably with good Omega-3 content)
    3/4C Lifeway plain lowfat kefir
    1 Scoop Strawberry (or whatever you want) Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey
    1 Tbsp Bee Pollen Granules
    5g Optimum Nutrition (or any Creapure creatine) Micronized Creatine
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1C Water

Add egg followed by kefir, add powders and pollen granules, then add water. (I use a GNC shaker with the whisk looking ball in it.) Shake well. I take a multi-vit/min pill with it, and if I had forgotten my B-complex with breakfast I add it now.

Until a couple days ago I was using rice milk instead of water, but I wanted to cut back on carbs so I went to water. It still tastes great, but the rice milk makes it taste better.

That sounds like a good one..Thanks!
  • jabraun0
    jabraun0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what I do for preworkout drink is this,

Mr Hyde from pro sups (the best thing out there for caffein tolerant types IMO)
    BCAA (branched chain amino acids) I use right now dymatize 5050
    L-carnitine (all max)

Im a big believer in BCAA's pre workout so you can suck em up when you need them during a workout, and I just started with L-carnitine so personally I dunno how effective it is yet, though theres alot of good research done on it, Hope that helps some! :) happy lifting
  • Topher1978
    Options
    The kefir is 99% lactose free thanks to the friendly bacteria!