folks with high protein diets (~200g per day)

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
For those of you on high protein diets (200g per day or more) - how much of your protein comes from shakes/supplements vs more "natural" foods (lean meats and such)?

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 190-210g per day range and I only have 1 protein shake a day (35g) and it's usually milk/powder in my cereal in the morning. The rest is through regular foods.
  • kelpaint
    kelpaint Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My macros are set at 45% protein 35% CHO and 20% fat - and 5-6 days a week when I go to the gym I need to consume around 200g in protein to eat back by exercise calories. I rarely can get that much from "natural" foods - I usually average 50g from two shakes - one after my morning workout and one at night - and supplement with a high protein bar and Greek yogurt for snacks.

I met with our nutritionist at the gym due to I was having trouble reaching my protein goal and keeping my fat intake down as well; this seems to help. I train hard and tweeking my diet is what we are currently focusing on. I wasn't seeing any progress for weeks, but now am slowly starting to see the scale move :)
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Protein is the bain of my consuming existance. I have a goal of about 155 grams a day. I rarely... if ever... reach it. It just seems impossible. I have a protein shake once a day @ 35 grams. Eggs don't seem to have enough... I feel like I need to eat a whole turkey just to meet my goals!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My macros are set at 45% protein 35% CHO and 20% fat - and 5-6 days a week when I go to the gym I need to consume around 200g in protein to eat back by exercise calories. I rarely can get that much from "natural" foods - I usually average 50g from two shakes - one after my morning workout and one at night - and supplement with a high protein bar and Greek yogurt for snacks.

I met with our nutritionist at the gym due to I was having trouble reaching my protein goal and keeping my fat intake down as well; this seems to help. I train hard and tweeking my diet is what we are currently focusing on. I wasn't seeing any progress for weeks, but now am slowly starting to see the scale move :)

What seems to help... having 2 shakes per day?

I'm probably going to set my macros to 25/25/50 as my targets. We'll see if I can do that without living on shakes.
  • kelpaint
    kelpaint Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes the shakes - they have 25g each so with either fat free milk or almond milk I can easily get a great protein "helper". But, like you I dont' want to live on shakes, so the addition of two fat free Greek yogurts ( I like the Fage brand) can add another 13-18 grams per yogurt. I haven't used it, but I know there is tasteless protein powder you can add to a multitude of things --- maybe that would help you if you are set at 50%.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Most of mine is supplemented because i'm a vegetarian (nuts and beans are great, but jacks with my carbs and fats for the day so i have ot be careful). I also try to eat a few eggs every day, or grab a serving of cheese and almonds here and there, but to get those to hit 200g of protein i would have to eat a whole block of cheddar a day, and that doesn't sound appetizing to me :)

So yeah, it's pretty sad but i really live off of shakes and bars-my calories are way too low if i don't have at least 3 a day.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My current macros are set at 20% Carb, 30% Fat, 50% Protein. At my current weight and 1800 calorie cap that's about 216g protein/day. Even with a 25g shake after my morning split and one at bed and eating 4oz of turkey, chix, or fish at 5 meals I still fall short by 40-50g/day I'm going to try increasing my meat protein portions to 5-6oz to see if I can make up the shortfall. It's tough balancing my macros against my calorie cap. I don't want to drink more shakes because quality whey isolate ain't cheap and everyone should learn to adjust their eating habits to not rely heavily on shakes. Your body wants clean, real food.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Currently all my protein comes from real food.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    On average I get between 1 and 2 servings of whey per day with the remainder coming from whole foods. Usually around 175-200g.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm at 300 g+ a day. Only 50 g a day come from protein shakes (whey). They rest is from whole foods, mostly chicken breast.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm at 300g per day and depending on my what i eat, anywhere between 65-85g comes from shakes.
  • jabraun0
    jabraun0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I go for 170g of protein a day now and I get approx 30g-50g from supplements it just depends what day it is
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Feel free to take a look at my diary. I average 200g on days I work out (sometimes up to 250). I have a 20g bar most days as a snack but that's generally it.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Just did the math for myself. To hit my 215g/day I have to consume 36g/meal over 6 meals. 6g of chicken breast is like 38g so it's not hard to hit 200+ using natural food. The only reason for my shakes from now on will be post workout and bedtime which is only 50g/day.
  • snoopy7501
    snoopy7501 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've looked at some of your diaries (magerum, dopeitup). I don't see how you can stomach that much chicken every day. Sure, it's a fantastic protein source, but I'd get sick of it real quick the way you guys do it. (24oz in one meal? Seriously?) How do you do it? Don't you ever feel like mixing it up a bit?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've looked at some of your diaries (magerum, dopeitup). I don't see how you can stomach that much chicken every day. Sure, it's a fantastic protein source, but I'd get sick of it real quick the way you guys do it. (24oz in one meal? Seriously?) How do you do it? Don't you ever feel like mixing it up a bit?

I try to vary the meats. Pork, beef, chicken and turkey. Preparation method varies too, sometimes it's pork chops and sometimes it's shredded pork. Or ground chicken instead of breasts. The diary doesn't show any of this of course.

I also like to use lots of different hot sauces or seasonings to spice it up differently too. Different kinds of wraps or bread to put it in....etc.. Mix it up a bit and you'll be fine.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I do mix it up every now and then, but primarily stick with chicken breast. It's mostly a matter of bulk prep and purchasing. I'm a bottomless pit, I can easily do 32 oz of chicken breast in a sitting without even thinking twice. I don't for cost reasons and macro goals. I eat my 4th meal about 60-90 minutes after dinner.
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    I'm not that high but I try to be 100-150 and eat it mostly all of it from real sources but damn is my grocery bill expensive! The people who say it isn't expensive to diet must not eat high protein