I need vegetarian protein!

Options
I'm vegetarian and in dire need of more protein in my diet. I don't really like processed veggie meals like Morningstar or Boca. I lean toward a more 'raw diet' way of thinking, but I don't eat 100% raw by any means. Any ideas? I'm at a loss. I know raw almonds have protein and I eat those quite often. Help?

Replies

• noseovertail
    Options
    ...I should also add that I don't eat any dairy except small amounts of cheese. I'm lactose intolerant so I lose out on the protein from dairy.
  • frenchybowiggler
    Options
    This might be too processed but Quorn is great and Field roast are really great... Love them for a quick fix...
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Protein Shakes
    Peanut Butter
    Greek Yogurt
    Steel Cut Oats
    TVP
    Tempeh

ummm.....that's all I can think of right now - I'm a veggie too and have started looking for higher protein/lower carb options - these are some of the items I've started eating more of.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Dr Praeger veggie burgers? The ingredients read like: corn, barley, lima beans, etc. Not high in sodium and really tastey!

Also:
    tempeh
    any beans( you can boil them yourself to avoid the processed canned kind)
    yep, almonds are good!
    AVOCADOS!!! yum!
    hummus( i.e. mashed chick peas with lemon and herbs)

Anyway, there are a few! hope that helps!
  • nkovacich
    Options
    As you know soy is a great source of protein, but if your not a big fan of soy there are many other options. Nuts, seeds, beans, grains, spinach is a goos one and quinoa. If you are opposed to any of these things you could look into a supplement to make sure you are getting enough protein. Good Luck!
  • noseovertail
    Options
    Thanks, this all does help! I'm trying to make a grocery list right now so I'm trying to brainstorm ideas.
  • mamajenny
    Options
    Edammame is good. It's a soy bean. Sold at most grocery stores. Great for snacking.
  • empiremom
    Options
    i am vegan too and i love the protein smoothies with whey protein powder. the powder is relatively inexpensive. you just have to find one you like. I use one scoop of the whey in my bullet along with 4-6 strawberries and 1/2 a banana. it is so yummy. you can also throw in a few raw spinach leaves. they dont mess with the taste and you get the iron you need as well... just makes a funny greeny red color! =)
  • PinguimPraiero
    PinguimPraiero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am very much like you: raw enthusiast and lactose intolerant! And, where I live one can not find any vegetarian proteins that end with the letters TM. So, I snack on almonds, and always eat beans at lunch. Avocado with cinnamon at breakfast rocks!

I have read that soy protein (okara) has the highest levels of plant protein available! I learned this recipe from my naturalist post-menopause mom, who used the soymilk from this process for the phytoestrogen:

You need: dry soybeans, a large glass bowl, a large heavy pot, a cooking thermometer, a cheesecloth, and a very large mixing bowl, and storage containers.

Well, I began to write the recipe, but for the sake of all reading this post, just email me if you are interested in making it!
  • noseovertail
    Options
    I actually have Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro 50. It doesn't really disintegrate well, so I haven't been using it. I guess I should make smoothies and add it. I sometimes put it in my salad dressing or pasta sauce.
  • noseovertail
    Options
    Tempeh looks really interesting! Do you guys make your own? Is it difficult? I suck at cooking but I'm determined to get the hang of it.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Beans
    Grains
    Nuts
    TVP
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Seitan

all good options :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    go for Quinoa , it's a complete protein (like soy, but doesn't have all the negative backlash of big soy), and it's pretty tasty too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

I caution you, as a vegetarian, be aware of the term "complete protein", google it, live it, it's important to complete your proteins as a vegi, us meat eaters don't really need to worry about it, but vegetarians do.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I believe recent research has shown that to get a "complete protein" you do not need to combine your proteins at every meal, but can eat them over the course of a day. For example beans at lunch and rice at dinner.

I cannot add much to the above but home-made trail mix with nuts and seeds. Calories add up quick though! I am not veggie but like to add sunflower or pumpkin seeds to salad. Lentil soup is awesome! Also, if you eat eggs you can boil them up for a snack or to put in salad. Tofu is awesome! Bean dip is easy to make as well.

HTH!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I believe recent research has shown that to get a "complete protein" you do not need to combine your proteins at every meal, but can eat them over the course of a day. For example beans at lunch and rice at dinner.

I cannot add much to the above but home-made trail mix with nuts and seeds. Calories add up quick though! I am not veggie but like to add sunflower or pumpkin seeds to salad. Lentil soup is awesome! Also, if you eat eggs you can boil them up for a snack or to put in salad. Tofu is awesome! Bean dip is easy to make as well.

HTH!

That is correct, the problem is (and surveys have proven this out) that vegetarians tend to eat the same or similar protein sources throughout the day, and in order to complete a protein you need alternate sources, such as grains and beans for example. Which is why something like wild rice and black beans is a good combo.
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i am vegan too and i love the protein smoothies with whey protein powder. the powder is relatively inexpensive. you just have to find one you like. I use one scoop of the whey in my bullet along with 4-6 strawberries and 1/2 a banana. it is so yummy. you can also throw in a few raw spinach leaves. they dont mess with the taste and you get the iron you need as well... just makes a funny greeny red color! =)

I'm sorry to be a jerk and point this out, but you know that whey is not vegan, right? It's dairy-based.

As far as protein shakes go, I've been using Spiru-Tein Vanilla (vegan), which takes some getting used to texture-wise but smells like cake batter and doesn't taste half bad for its 14g of protein and 99 calories.

My other proteins: lite xtra-firm tofu, lite fortified soy milk, kidney/black beans, peanut butter, nuts, Quinoa, broccoli
  • bukozki
    Options
    I thought for sure THIS post would be about cannibalism. I just can't call them.
  • PinguimPraiero
    PinguimPraiero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    . . . . whey is not vegan, right? It's dairy-based. . . . .

that's another reason I like okara, which is essentially the 'whey' derived from soybeans when making soymilk or, two steps further, tofu. Since I prepare it in my kitchen, controlling the freshness and wholeness of it, I definitely say it is the whey to go.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Grains-and no I'm not talking about rice...but Quinoa, Teff, Amaranth, Millet, Triticale, and spelt. All have some protein and are great for your body. You need to make sure you are getting all 8 essential amino acids and you'll HAVE to take a vitamin with B12 as it is not produced in any vegan food sources.

*edit- Chia seeds are also wonderful.
  • CaitlinEats
    CaitlinEats Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Beans! I don't eat meat and can get burned out on the veggie burgers, etc., so I love coming up with delicious recipes involving beans.

Check out www.fatfreevegan.com--she has amazing recipes!!