Regularly drinking beer while losing weight

Options

Replies

• iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    when i did have a drink while losing weight, it was mostly vodka.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I drink Corona light on weekends:drinker:
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    We all know alcohol is just calories however I still drink but less on training days, my body just does not want or need loads of beer. So I can have and enjoy a drink or two without getting silly.

Secondly my goal is to stay under my weekly target, that way I can enjoy a beer any day of the week without freaking out. The key is staying under your target.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This isn't helpful to you, but my dad was a cross country runner.. he'd run 20 miles (or however far it got him.. I know he ran for a good 2 hours. Have a pub lunch, including about 7 pints.. and then he'd run back.

He scaled it back as he got older, but he's always been skinny as a rake. He said he'd earned his pints :P
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have beer every night....3-5, but I do drink a light beer....I am still losing, albiet s l o w l y, but still losing. Would probably lose faster if I didn't, and I would probably hit my macros, but I like it, I love it, and I want some more of it. lol.

Oh, and I am 53, and menopausal.

ETA, my cal goal is 1800
  • rickybluntjr
    rickybluntjr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories. As long as you're at or under your calorie goal you're ok as far as fat loss. As far as that being healthy, well that's another story. I eat whatever I feel like eating, no restrictions. I just make sure I'm at or under my calorie goal which is 1,500.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I've been "treating" myself to a beer if I stayed far enough under caloric intake that I can "afford" it. I have lost three and a half pounds in two weeks. So, it does appear to work for me. If I could afford more, I'd have two tonight but alas I have eaten most of my calories today!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on your goals. Is good nutrition/fuel for your body part of your goal? Or is it just about losing pounds? If it's about pounds and not nutrition then work it into your total calories for the day and log it. If your goal is also about health then you'll want to cut back on the beer.
  • almaster666
    almaster666 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Drink 1oz of water for every 1oz of beer you drink. Helps you not get de-hydrated. Helps piss out a lot of the beer. Also negates a lot of the negatives of drinking alcohol.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    your calories dont reset themselves every 24 hours... so if you can have 4 in a day.. and lose weight, its no different than me drinking my standard 18 on saturday night on my cheat day & losing, which i do...

fit it into your calories & enjoy yourself.

You must learn to figure out how to do this FOR LIFE and if you arent willing to give something up forever, then learn how to fit it in. Simple as that!

You are speaking way too sensibly, my friend. Quit that "rational approach" stuff ASAP!

:tongue:
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love IPAs. But I'm still in my first 60 days and I have lot left to get rid of, so for me I had to really cut back. That said the few times I planned ahead for two IPA pints and 10 hot wings (another favorite which is a really calorie hog) I enjoyed the heck out of it with no guilt (and I lost weight that week). The real point is exercise, lower your calorie intake, eat lots of healthy stuff and if after that you can fit the beer in do it.
  • Brdrclymom
    Options
    Didn't read through all replies, but that was my first issue. I bowl, LOVE watching Football (in a bar), and have several friends that play in bands in bars. Told the diet doc I was NOT giving up my beer. I drink 3 or 4 Bud Select 55 a day. It has lower alcohol, so I'm not getting toasted, and I stick to my limit and drink water in between. So far, so good! Been doing this since June 20th and have lost 33 pounds!!!
  • LisaRDavis
    Options
    bump. just had this discussion with a friend/MFP tonight.... Im not willing to give up my beers on the weekend so having trouble figuring out how to fit in and still be a healthier version of me!
  • seandominguez
    Options
    hahahaha,

I just want to say that I love what this thread became. Yeah, I'm referring to heavier beers. My favorite ones? I'm really keen on Karl Strauss' Amber Lager and just reds and browns in general. Starting to get into IPAs - never thought that would happen. In fact, this time last year, I refused to drink beer. Strange.

I live in San Diego and we have a lot of great local beers here. Stone is just up north and my favorite pub has $3 local brews on Monday nights (guess what today is!?)

Will definitely just look at beer as normal calories. Sounds good to me. Being able to eat what I like is far more motivation to be 'good' than anything else - including incremental weight loss.
  • GHUMBEL
    Options
    NOT DRINKING REALLY SPEEDS UP THE PROCESS.. BUT YOU CAN DRINK WITH MODEST RESULTS
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    My brother drinks beer and eats pizza three nights a week and hasn't gained a pound in years. Course, he runs about 50 miles a week, but if you're exercising enough, you can eat anything.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    your calories dont reset themselves every 24 hours... so if you can have 4 in a day.. and lose weight, its no different than me drinking my standard 18 on saturday night on my cheat day & losing, which i do...

fit it into your calories & enjoy yourself.

You must learn to figure out how to do this FOR LIFE and if you arent willing to give something up forever, then learn how to fit it in. Simple as that!

Yup
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    hahahaha,

I just want to say that I love what this thread became. Yeah, I'm referring to heavier beers. My favorite ones? I'm really keen on Karl Strauss' Amber Lager and just reds and browns in general. Starting to get into IPAs - never thought that would happen. In fact, this time last year, I refused to drink beer. Strange.

I live in San Diego and we have a lot of great local beers here. Stone is just up north and my favorite pub has $3 local brews on Monday nights (guess what today is!?)

Will definitely just look at beer as normal calories. Sounds good to me. Being able to eat what I like is far more motivation to be 'good' than anything else - including incremental weight loss.

Ah, Stone isn't far from you? Color me jealous.

Well, lucky for you, there's enough research out there that craft beer (especially unfiltered) actually has more health benefits than not, to the point that some say it wouldn't be an awful "recovery" drink after lifting. So, yes, as long as the calories and carbs fit your daily goals, you're good to go. My fiance and I drink craft beer (we're in Michigan) pretty regularly--I've lost almost 15 lbs and have lowered quite a bit of bf% (with no thyroid!) and my fiance has lost over 20 lbs... we never cut out beer.
  • nickymaz
    nickymaz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to improve your running times, you might want to limit your beer intake.
    What in the world does drinking beer have to do with run times?