Hearty Tomato & Kale Soup

Options
2BhappyBhealthy
2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
A friend asked for the recipe of a soup I had recently made and I figured since I just typed all this up - I'd share it so anyone else that wants it can have it too :)

Ingredients:
Chopped Tomato - Roma 7 tomatoes
Garlic - Raw, 10 cloves -at least ;)
Red Onion - Chopped, 1 cup (or one medium onion)
Poblano Pepper, 1 pepper - I roasted on the stove beforehand
Jalepeno Pepper 1 pepper - I roasted on the stove beforehand
Organic Kale, Raw, 6 leaf (one bunch) -rinse and tear off the leaves
Pacific Natural Foods - Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth, 1 container (4 cup (8 fl. oz.) 240mls ea.)
Garbanzo Beans Low Sodium, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
Spectrum - Organic Coconut Oil-Expeller Pressed, 2 Tbsp <-- Or 2 Tbsp Olive Oil

-Start by sauteing the garlic, then add the onion, then the peppers. (each for a min or so on med heat)
-Then start adding the chopped tomato - about a handful at a time until the last handful and let it cook down a bit. (things should start smelling pretty awesome right about now) then add your seasoning (I typically like to add more heat - especially if I am cooking with the Coconut Oil vs the Olive Oil. So I added crushed red pepper, chili powder, red pepper - you get the jist)
-Next is the broth (and you can use whatever broth you like, I just have always cooked with veggie broth) - stir it in slowly so you don't completely cool down the soup. Let it warm back up a bit
-Then add the Kale and cover. Let it start to boil around the sides and the give it a nice stir. I try to push the kale to the bottom and scoop the veggies to the top...
-Once the kale starts to look like it's softening up a little (I personally like my veggies fairly al dente - not a soft veggie person) add the garbanzo beans and re-cover.
-Just let it re-boil and then take the lid off. Give it a good stir, make sure it has the flavor you want, make any necessary adjustments and voila! You have a yummy, surprisingly hearty and very nutritionally balanced soup that will last about a week! I added my ingredients as I was making it (I love that you can take pics of the labels on here) and the nutrition info came up as follows:

I did a serving as one cup.
Cals: 77
Fat: 2g
Carbs: 12.5g
Protein: 3.7g
Cholesterol: 0g
Sugar: 3.4g
Potassium: 368.4mg
Sodium: 81.3g (but it's really dependent on how much salt you add. I typically only sprinkle a dash when the veggies are cooking to bring out their natural flavors)

And of course you can add chicken, sausage (OoOooo that would be really good in this soup), carrots, mushrooms - whatever else you have/want. But this is a good place to start! Not to mention, a TON of food on a TINY budget ;)

Happy soup season!!

Replies