Must I run?

Options
It seems like EVERYONE runs. EVERYONE i talk to is in to running and likes it. I HATE it. I mean, how can you run for 2 hours straight and not be bored/tired/out of breath? Does anyone NOT run and never plans to run? I don't have time to run for hours on end, let alone the strength and will power. I do a workout video for 30 minutes 5 times a week. I don't know what it is about running, it just scares me...

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    No you do not have to run.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I run because it works for me. I do get bored/tired/out of breath but I do it anyway! For me, I think it's about the sense of accomplishment of doing something I never thought was possible, and the fact that my mood is so much better when I run. So, for me it's more about emotional wellbeing than physical health, though that is a great side benefit.

You definitely don't have to run if it's not your thing. Any exercise is good exercise!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone, as long as you go out there and break a sweet I don't care how you do it, you will get results. I for one spend an extra 5 minutes in the morning dancing in front of my mirror before the shower :-p

As long as you put an effort into increasing your fitness level it doesn't matter how, some choose running some choose rock climbing.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If it's the length of time that bothers you, you could try high intensity interval training (HIIT), you can get an awesome workout in about half an hour (including warmup). Can also be applied to other cardio exercises like skipping, swimming or bike riding.

I used to hate running too and I wouldn't say I love it now but I can tolerate it because I know that it's one of the things that gets me into the best shape for the sports I play
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I only run when I'm jaywalking or being chased. If you don't like running, don't do it.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    If you want to, then run. Obviously you don't want to so don't. I wasn't a runner until a few months ago and now I love it. the app C25K really helped me. But exercise and weight lose is just like everything else-to each their own. What works for me doesn't mean it'll work for you
  • lrtoland
    Options
    I don't run...I may start at some point, but frankly, I am too fat to run...lol...and I walk fast enough to get my heart rate up and get myself out of breath. I would say that you are doing a great job doing what you're doing. You've lost 4lbs already!! If you want to up the ante, perhaps you could walk? I wouldn't worry too much about everyone else's running preference. We are all different for a reason:)
  • Hmmcglothl
    Hmmcglothl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I loathe running. It makes me want to die. In fact, I'd much rather be fat than run so thankfully there are other forms of exercise. I forced myself to run for two weeks once and was very angry at the world. Now I do the elliptical, stairs, walking, swimming, dancing..whatever else. Anything but running and curling over because it feels like someone has stabbed me in the stomach (side-stitch). Some people love it though and people who can run marathons are like super-heroes to me.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    No, of course you don't have to run! It's just a faster way to burn calories than a lot of exercises.

I couldn't run for more than a few minutes before I started this, and I STILL can't run that long so I don't torture myself! If you do an exercise you loath you're going to put it off even more and be very discouraged. The key is to find the exercise that works best for you! I like to walk, put ankle weights on and headphones in, clears my head and is super easy and I never dread doing it!

And who knows, later down the road you may feel like you want to move past your video and try something new (which may or may not be running). Don't let anyone tell you that you HAVE to run, it's your journey and do what works best for you :flowerforyou:
  • lrtoland
    Options
    I for one spend an extra 5 minutes in the morning dancing in front of my mirror before the shower :-p

This made me laugh out loudXD That is awesome!!!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle. I don't run but have considered it. But my legs don't like it at all. They burn and feel like lead pipes as soon as I start running. It took forever to even get my breathing under control. I can do quick bursts and then I'm done.

I don't think there is any particular exercise you have to do. Just incorporate enough diversity to keep your heart healthy and work all of your muscle groups at some point.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You definitely do not have to run. I run because I cannot make myself do those workout videos and I cannot afford a gym. Let me tell you - I HATED every single step for the first few weeks but now I really look forward to running. Also, I sucked so bad at it that I couldn't jog for more than 30 seconds without feeing like I would die. Now I can jog over 5 miles without any walking and it has been 12 weeks since I started. PLUS - because I sucked so bad at it in the beginning, there were many personal successes along the way (and still ahead). :)
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Don't run especially if u don't enjoy it. ride a bike, spin bike (the best kind), eliptical trainers, aquatic aerobics, or just walk. why make it so difficult? get a heart rate monitor and enjoy ur exercise freedom!!!
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you wanna be prepared for the zombie apocalypse, you must run. :tongue:

Joking aside, though, if you really don't like it, you don't have to do it. Plenty of other exercise to be had. Two hours of running is not really an everday thing even for hardcore runners, though--I only get close to it on my weekend long runs. Otherwise it's 30-60 minutes of running throughout the week. An iPod goes a long way to alleviating boredom. If you're out of breath you're probably running too fast. Etcetera.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    No. I have knee injuries, so I don't run. I can still get a good cardio workout without the impact.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i never run. its just weights and walking for me.

I take my dog for a walk for a couple of hours whilst listening to my favourite radio shows. it's just an easy way to burn calories, and all i've had to do is replace the tv with radio and slip on some headphones.

little tip: im not sure how much of the BBC radio sations you can access outside the UK, but they do have a 'world service' and they are my favourites because they have no adverts.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    i was a runner in high school. Loved it. Then I hated it, and I hated it for a seriously long time.

Last year I decided to start running. For some reason I had it in my head that it was the epitome of being fit.
    It took a while to get into it, but the more I did it, the more I enjoyed it. And accomplishing distances felt really good. I love running now, it helps me in more than just the physical/fitness sense, it clears my mind and de-stresses me.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Running is definitely not for everyone. You either have the urge to run or you don't. Since you don't, no worries! As long as you're doing something that gets you sweaty :)

I run because I have always wanted to run but felt I was too fat and had bad knees. Then I decided one day to prove to myself that my barrier to running had nothing to do with my physical state and everything to do with my mental state of mind.

I've been running now for 1.5 yrs and I'm in training for my first half marathon! I love it. I love being out of breath, I love pushing myself during races, and I love dry heaving at the end.

Ok, I lied. I don't love dry heaving, actually. But that feeling passes and the sense of accomplishment sticks with me for days! Best high ever is that feeling of crossing a finish line, whether you crossed fast or slow.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I didn't run until a couple months ago. I used C25K and that helped me a lot. I want to run in the Komen race in my area so I figured I'd better start training for it. I used to hate running. I mean hate it so much if someone was chasing me I'd probably just let them catch me. When I started working out I never planned on running. Ever. I can't say I always love it but I love how I feel when I'm done.

I don't get bored when I run, I guess because I use the time to think about my day or what's going on in my life. It gives me a chance to clear my head and it helps with my stress level. And I listen to music.

If you don't like something don't do it. Do what you enjoy and you'll stick to it and see results :)

ETA: I have never run for 2 hours at a time. I'd probably be sick if I did. Maybe one day I'll work up to that but I can tell you that time is not right now.
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K last year and I'm STILL waiting to not want to vomit every time someone says 'let's go for a run!'

Apparently, I will not be the inspirational story of the girl who discovered running and fell in love with it! LOL

I get by lots of other ways, I am on an ultimate frisbee team and there's a lot of running involved, but I'm too distracted having fun to notice I'm running - plus, it's short little sprints here and there compared to just running oooon and on and on. I take a lot of cardio classes that feel more fun than work, I play dance / get my butt moving games on the XBOX. Basically, at this time, I can't do too much alone exercising...or anything that lets me hang out inside my own head because the girl in there is too convincing when she suggests I stop. So maybe I'm not that running girl right now, but maybe I will be later on...who knows? Or not....but I'm still moving. You don't have to run, but you gotta do something :)