TO BRAG, OR NOT TO BRAG

Options
My coworker was excited because she lost 3 pounds in a week by cutting down on carbohydrates. I wanted to tell her I've lost 27 pounds in 5 months by using myfitnesspal. I didn't want to rain on her parade. :wink: I DID tell my sister when we were out to dinner the other night. She was impressed, but it kind of makes me sad that no one NOTICES. :grumble: I'm more than halfway to my goal weight. :bigsmile: My hope is that some friends I haven't seen since May will notice when I see them next weekend! I don't want to wait for my next doctors visit for someone to say "You lost weight!" I really only started noticing in the past 2 weeks that my watch band is on a smaller hole than it used to be. A pajama top that I looked like a sausage in before, now is loose and comfortable, and all my pants need belts, and the belts are getting smaller and smaller. I wish I could afford new pants right now, but I may drop one more size if this keeps up!
Anyone want some size 14 capris? :laugh:

Replies

• allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Brag away Lady. Good for you!
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Agree brag! take pics! tell the world :)!!! you worked for it! just dont take it to far ^^.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    More people notice than you think.

Weight is just a touchy subject and people are a little squeemish about saying something unless they know for a fact that you were trying to lose weight.
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the people who say the least about my weight loss were the ones who said the most about my weight gain. I never call it jealousy ... i dont think they are jealous of me losing weight and still outweighing most by 50+ pounds. I do however think it is hard for some people to be positive. So instead they say nothing.

In my opinion ... BRAG! Tell anyone who asks or wants to know. I dont tell perfect strangers, but if someone says, you seem happier or more energetic ... I tell them ... I am! I've lost over 60 pounds!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would say not. Everyone will have noticed but be being circumspect and most people will think the person bragging about 3 lbs is a moron.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same way. I see everyone getting on social media and making great boasts about their plans for world dominance on day one of their workout/nutrition changes.. then you never hear must more about it.

I kept my mouth shut for about a year, and for me, it was when i crossed the 50lb mark that I put a post on FB thanking my gym for the changes they helped me make. On the second topic, about people noticing. it seemed to take quite some time for me. I was in the gym (and kitchen) working my butt off but not too much was said about it. then it just started to happen out of the blue and I got a dozen or more comments in a week.

Personally, Im ok with just trying to do the right things the majority of the time, and knowing the weight and the comments will come on their own timeline. I will tell you that you have something fun to look forward to.. people will tell you that you look great, and compliment you on the changes (so far, so good) but then they will ask "whats your secret". I would reply that just was eating clean, and working out hard in the gym.. Here is the fun part.. even though the other person is overweight, and even though you are already being successful with what you are doing, they somehow feel a NEED to interrupt you and say.. ohh.. well heres what you should be doing (insert dumb comment or fad diet here). I found it perplexing at first, but now I look forward to the next wacko comment.

Great work! keep it up
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    YOU HAVE EARNED THE RIGHTS TO BRAG! It really burns me up when people close to you treat you that way. I know from experience that they are mad and JEALOUS because you have lost weight and stuck to it. Honey you are totally worth it and do not let anyone steal your weigh loss joy. You keep it going and dont worry about other people. Those who really love and care about you will continue to support you- just wave past your haters and let them be your motivators!! Feel free to add me! I will keep you encouraged
  • TabathaAnn8
    Options
    Brag it up!!!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Make a huge sign and put it up in your front window....BRAG AWAY!
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Brag! You are working hard and deserve the recognition! Great job on your success so far! Keep up the great work and tell the world how amazing you are!
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    I say don't worry about it..
    All that matters is that YOU know the difference
    You shouldn't have to wait for someone else to notice it :)

11440824.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    People notice but are sometimes to afraid to say anything because they don't want to offend you.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I say brag... but wait until you reach your goal. Then it will be even sweeter:) Then it wont seem like your trying to steal anyones thunder and prevent any hard feelings.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    BRAG BRAG BRAG!!!!!! You have earned it!!

Please just make sure to brag to us too , we need to see people like you winning :bigsmile:

I am only in my second week, and haven't mentioned my plans or losses on FB at all.
    I don't think I will until I have that wonderful before and after pic I can be proud of.
  • Hmmcglothl
    Hmmcglothl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, they most definitely notice. Females have a funny way of speaking about weight with each other. Unfortunately it's often seen as a competition. Your weight loss might be making them have self-reflections (hence, your friend losing weight) and feeling the need to keep up with your success in a competitive manner. That's their problem though, not yours so keep up the good work!!!
  • joymelanson
    Options
    You need to buy some new clothes, then they will notice and so will you.
  • leaann3
    leaann3 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. A coworker keeps bragging about the 13 lbs. she's lost drinking weight loss shakes. In they same amount of time I've lost 25 lbs. by changing what I eat and working out. I've kept quiet about it, and she keeps bragging because she's trying to sell the shakes to everyone on staff. Needless to say she's on my last nerve!
  • Itsme_Mary
    Itsme_Mary Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes.. brag, brag, brag. You have put the hard work in you have earned it! Even 5 lb. I would brag! Lol
    I think it is true, weight is a touchy situation, you would think they would say Hay you look great! I always do, when my friends loose! .. So Hay " You Look Great" !! Don't get discouraged because people are inconsiderate. :)
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Like Evel Knievel said, “It isn't bragging if it's true.”
    Good job
  • blueandigo
    Options
    Hey Susan, I notice you've lost 27lbs. You know I've been wanting to say it for quite some time, but I didn't know how to say it. I'm proud of you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!