ANYONE WITH PCOS?

Options
2»

Replies

• ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been diagnosed with PCOS since I was 13 years old. As you can see from my ticker, it can absolutely be done. I started out supplementing with cinnamon/chromium supplements for sugar metabolism, but I haven't been taking them lately (last few months or so) but my weight is still steadily dropping with just exercise and a sensible diet. I still eat all the things I want just in smaller portions and just being overall more conscious of trying to eat healthier lean proteins, veggies, and so forth.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I HAD PCOS!!! Emphasis on HAD! ...The feeling of HAD is because of not really noticing the effects anymore. My Doc said I didn't need the medication anymore.... Back in high school I was super overweight.. I had been all my life. Then one magical day I thought I was sick and went to a walk-in clinic and POOF this doctor told me that I had it! Now... at the time getting told "you will have a real challenge getting pregnant" and all this other stuff as a result of having it wasn't so huge. I mean.. I did have this for a long time and never noticed what it felt like not to have it.

(edit: I don't actually know if you can "lose" the PCOS... I just know that you can live without the effects.)

SO

I was prescribed a pill called Metformin, a generic pill that was used to treat PCOS at the time, and went on with my life. Now, the pill when you first got on it made you a little queasy so my appetite cut out a bit. I was nearly 300 lbs at the time and I might have dropped like 10 lbs as a result.

At the same time I had made friends with some super active people so I was walking every day for miles (maybe like 2-3 a day?) and working at McD's and not paying near as much attention to food as I used to. Without knowing it I was "dieting"! Or unknowingly I just started behaving a little healthier.. whichever way you prefer to look at it.

Anyway so over the course of like a year I dropped 80 lbs and was feeling like a queen.. broke a few hearts and managed to get mine broken once... but I met my fabulous husband and had a "whoopsie" and 9 months later I had my first son!! I had told him it would be next to impossible to get pregnant.. that's what the doctor told me all that time ago (about 3 years) and I guess losing weight caused the effects to be reversed and my body to start healing itself!

I even looked this up to verify that these results are typical if someone with PCOS loses enough weight to get close to a healthy BMI (I was in the slightly heavy range for my height) that they can experience a normal hormone cycle/insulin levels/moods/facial hair/ovulation cycles. Yay!

article of proof (if you can believe the internet lol)

http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php/4436-Obese-women-with-ovarian-disease-can-become-pregnant-if-they-lose-weight

Moral of the story is that PCOS can seriously suck and be difficult but I promise if you work hard your body will pay you back. I like sharing my fairy tale... it gets me all excited about life.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am 26 and was diagnosed with PCOS at the start of the year.
    I have found that keeping healthy and staying on the pill has kept me sane.
    Lots of fruits, veg and meat have been my best tips for recipes. I stay away from all sugars (but that's just personal preference!)
  • kmiller0118
    Options
    I do have it and am in the USA. While on MFP I've lost 12 pounds. But I've lost 52 so far total. I did not have the struggles with pregnancy that some of you have. But I have some of the other "unlady like" qualities like facial hair and the weight issues. So, it's been hard but the main thing that has helped me is exercise. I really don't want to be on a pill for the rest of my life (metformin also). So hopefully when I'm at my weight goal, those issues will go away.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!