having difficulty meeting minimum calories.

Options
I am VERY new so please forgive me if i am in the wrong forum. I know this question has been asked numerous times but given my specific circumstances i have yet to find an answer on any website so i thought i would ask here. According to MFP my daily calorie goal is 2640 calories. This is to LOSE 2lbs per week and if i have figured my Bmr correctly it is roughly 3330 calories. I am 6VERY feet 7 inches tall and weigh 394 lbs as of 2 weeks ago. The problem i am having is consuming 2600 calories in a day. I eat large portions of vegetables, fish, beef etc but i am eating very "clean" and have been frequently 1000 calories shy of my goal. I am hardly ever hungry and i do not want to eat junk to make up the defecit. For dinner tonight i ate a family portion tuna packet with a broccoli and 3 cheese steamer (family size) and am over 1000a calories under. I guess what i am getting at is will i hurt myaelf fat loss by only eating 1400-1700 calories and of so any suggestions to make up the difference. Fyi i am trying to keep below 100 carbs so eating calorie dense breads is not an option but if its vegetables ill eat as much as i nees to i just dont want high gi carbs. My next question would be how will strength training effect my already less than adequate calorie intake. I am an ex college athlete and love lidting. I lived in the gym until 6 years ago (the six years of marriage and over eating is what brought me to my weight gain) but until i get some clarification im scared to go to the gym because i cant meet my caloric needs as it is. Any and all hel or advice would be much appreciated. There isnt much info out there geared towards a person my size. Also please excuse typos, punctuation, etc.. as i am sending this from my android

Replies

• hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    you could always add protein shakes or bars to your diet for inbetween meals. I wouldn't force myself to eat and I wouldn't eat "junk" just to get more calories.

I use isopure from GNC only has like 3 carbs and 50 protein. Tastes really good.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eat avocado
    or almonds

alot of people wish they were satied as you.
    so either you are trolling that you cant come up with anything to eat or you are really not aware of
    avocados and almonds. Eat more protein. Eat like 150g of protein per day minimum to conserve muscle.
    And do heavy weightlifting. Focus on proper form and not weight when you are doing it.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Because you have so much to lose, you will probably be fine. BUT do try to eat more, especially on days that you exercise... you can easily add calories with calorie dense foods such as nuts, avocado, olive oil, cheese... because you lift I'd suggest you eat loads of protein, so greek yogurt with fruits and nuts or protein shakes.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for protein shakes
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posts avocados and almonds are great. I like Peanut butter with an apple or banana, but can't have it often because of the calories.

You can eat healthy and get the calories. Just do some research, look at peoples diaries. See if you can find some people on here around your height and weight and maybe they can help. I would probably post a topic looking for people. Just be careful, don't just follow someone with doing your own research.

Good Luck and you can do this. Make sure you eat enough now or it will probably be alot harder later
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am VERY new so please forgive me if i am in the wrong forum. I know this question has been asked numerous times but given my specific circumstances i have yet to find an answer on any website so i thought i would ask here. According to MFP my daily calorie goal is 2640 calories. This is to LOSE 2lbs per week and if i have figured my Bmr correctly it is roughly 3330 calories. I am 6VERY feet 7 inches tall and weigh 394 lbs as of 2 weeks ago. The problem i am having is consuming 2600 calories in a day. I eat large portions of vegetables, fish, beef etc but i am eating very "clean" and have been frequently 1000 calories shy of my goal. I am hardly ever hungry and i do not want to eat junk to make up the defecit. For dinner tonight i ate a family portion tuna packet with a broccoli and 3 cheese steamer (family size) and am over 1000a calories under. I guess what i am getting at is will i hurt myaelf fat loss by only eating 1400-1700 calories and of so any suggestions to make up the difference. Fyi i am trying to keep below 100 carbs so eating calorie dense breads is not an option but if its vegetables ill eat as much as i nees to i just dont want high gi carbs. My next question would be how will strength training effect my already less than adequate calorie intake. I am an ex college athlete and love lidting. I lived in the gym until 6 years ago (the six years of marriage and over eating is what brought me to my weight gain) but until i get some clarification im scared to go to the gym because i cant meet my caloric needs as it is. Any and all hel or advice would be much appreciated. There isnt much info out there geared towards a person my size. Also please excuse typos, punctuation, etc.. as i am sending this from my android

[/quote
    Well what I do I eat healthy meals and when I am satisfied I stop eating I feel my body knows when I have had enough so why stuff myself. As long as your getting the nutrients your body needs that is what counts. Someone posted a site on here that has been very helpful called "The Smarter Science of Slim" I have been reading on it and it has been very helpful in my weight loss journey. I also take a good quality vitamine. I am down 65 lbs. so far just have five more to reach my goal. Hope this helps.
  • Turlupinpin
    Options
    First, there are some concepts to understand. Given your weight and height I would estimated your weight like this : 60 % water, 13% lean muscle, and 37% fat. So in order : 236 pound of water, 51 pounds of lean muscle, and 145 pound of fats. You would agree with me to say that the muscle and fat doesn't have the same energy consumption right ?
    Fat uses energy to regenerate cells...etc
    Muscle uses energy every time, even lying on your bed is energy consuming. So let imagine you replace those 145 pounds of fat with muscle, that bring us with 200 pound of pure muscle. Then YES, you might need something like 3000+ calories per day.
    My point is, myfitnesspal doesn't take into account your weight composition. For my experience, I would say you needed around 1900 / 2000 calories per day.
    I strongly suggest you (mandatory) to consult a nutritionist so she can tell you the right amount of calories you need.
    PS: You most probably have seen some mistakes, you can feel free to point it out in PM. I'm a french speaker learning English.
  • awn491
    awn491 Posts: 2
    Options
    Replies cameon very quick. Thank you. And to our french speaking friend im the one asking for advice and am thankful you took the time, no need for corrections it was very well understood. I was trying to stay away from shakes because they are so easily digested, but its a great suggestion and i may have no otjer choice. Im not sure of exact percentages but i know my target weight is 280... i probably should consult someone given i am built a lot larger than the average male. Almonds i love .. but am allergic to avocado
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Two points:

At almost 400 pounds, you'll be fine at 2000 calories or so daily. With that much to lose, most people can safely go well beyond a 1000 cal deficit. I typically do a 1300 deficit myself (start weight 276)

No matter what I just said, at almost 400 lbs if you have access to medical coverage you should consult a professional. You can definitely lose the weight and most likely you can do it on your own, but given your current condition and where you want to go, you should make sure you're clear of any underlying medical factors that contribute to your current weight or would be triggered by any particular weight loss strategy.