Quit Smoking Suggestions Needed

Options

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    ...even though I was on a quest to quit smoking, even though I knew the health factors and the expense, I WAS NOT READY.

Then one day I woke up and was done. I gave the rest of my cigs to my mother...who lived with me... and never picked them up again.

Out of everything I did to assist me in stopping smoking, none of it worked. I kept saying I wanted to quit...but I didn't, not really. When I was finally ready to quit, I did.

This is me exactly. One day something just clicked into place and I never went back. It was almost spooky.

OP,

There is only ONE way to quit smoking: THE WAY THAT WORKS FOR YOU!
    Some quit with nicotine gum.
    Some quit cold turkey.
    Some quit on the patch.
    Some quit by stepping down.
    Some quit with Chantix.
    Some quit with hypnotherapy.
    Try the one you think will work for you. If it fails try something else until you find what does work. For me, and a few others it was as simple as having something go off in our brains saying "I'm not a smoker."
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I smoked for many years and had quit and started again many times. 4 years ago when NYS was raising the taxes (again), I decided I couldn't afford to smoke anymore. I used Chantix (prescription from dr.) and quit. I still have cravings, but cigarettes have doubled in price since then. I did put on weight, however if you find something to do with idle hands besides eating, it may be easier to quit smoking and lose weight.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    I quit 25 days ago! :D Yay!

I now use that money for a monthly pedicure.

You are bigger than the addiction. TAKE CONTROL. The first few days SUCK *kitten* as the nicotine is leaving your system ...but after the first week, I never felt better. Holy crap. I LOVE IT! I'M FREE!!

Bump!!!!
  • Jenada79
    Jenada79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I smoked from 13 till I was 29 and boy did I smoke! Over a pack a day and the belief that it was part of my personality. Two words...Allen Carr.

That was over 4 years ago and I have not smoked a cigarette or wanted to. I can be around people smoking and it does not bother me at all. All I did was read the book.

I have passed the book on to heaps of people and it has worked for nearly all of them. Give it a read you have nothing to lose but your habit.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    I was a pack a day smoker while working in a non-smoking environment--so I really smoked in my free time. It took about 3 serious tries for me to quit. Using nicotine gum worked best for me. I used a lot of it for 3 years before I switched to regular gum. I am now nicotine-free as well as a non-smoker. I still have cravings sometimes, but remind myself that it would take almost nothing for me to be back at a pack a day, so I do not act on the cravings.

Driving new routes so you do not stop at stores or gas stations where you have bought cigarettes helps, also. I would sometimes say to myself "Drive by this store, if you still want a cigarette when you go by the next store, stop there" Usually, the craving was gone by then. Like all addictions, one day at a time. Good luck.

Be like that guy in that Nissan commercial, and go give your "gas station gear" back to the counter guy lol. Pay for gas at the pump and do not go into the store. You got this!
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey, January will be 5 years ago...

I cut drinking straws into cigarette sized sections and kept one in my hand or mouth for about 2 weeks... then I just ... didn't...
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Just quit 3 days ago, finally, after a few false starts. Started in early teens; mid-30s now. Quit for a year and a half in there.

Immediate reason: I got bronchitis AGAIN, and I have a scary wheeze, and feel (& have been told) that while obviously no one should smoke, *I personally* am not allowed to smoke anymore. Cancer and emphysema are no longer distant spectres, and COPD's, like, breathing down my neck. (Or not, as the case may be.)

I'm using puffers again, and hope like hell I won't have to permanently.

I have felt this way before & forgotten about it months later. Not happening again. I have more to do on this planet, and would be pissed if I didn't get more time.

Other things:

- I read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking some years ago. It helped me frame things in a way that's stuck. Rereading it now. Highly recommended.
    http://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com

- In part with the help of that book, I formed a vision of myself as a healthy, capable, vital person. I connected that image with myself as a kid. With things I have yet to do. Cigarettes and addiction have no place in that life. They are a kind of enslavement. No person should be a slave to anything or one.

- When I quit last time, I found myself with so much more energy. And time. To do things that matter. I honestly was a better person. (And am on the way again :)

- Smoking ages skin & hair, & I don't want to look older than I am. Or FEEL older than I am.

- I persuaded the people close to me not to smoke in my presence. Thankfully, they agreed, and it's made a difference. (Some people are highly sensitive to cues; I'm one of them; it makes a difference. Though it obviously comes down to me. But it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE.)

My intention is to avoid smokers & smoking situations for some months. I'm glad it's fall/winter now.

- I'm almost the last person I know who's my age to smoke. It's considered a sort of low thing to do. It's embarrassing.

^ mostly motivational factors. Important to build them up, make them matter.

- I am using the PATCH BACKED UP BY NICOTINE LOZENGES. I haven't had a problem with physical cravings yet. This is recommended by lots of experts now, by the way.

Good luck! You deserve health.
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have strategy for you. No wise words of wisdom ... But I can tell you I would be happy to be supportive. I am now smoke free for 21 days. I have made it 3 weeks. I won't lie ... It's been rough and the cravings are still strong, but I am determined.
  • klacount77
    Options
    BTW, on my last night of smoking, my beloved Cowboys got pummeled by da Bears, and I gave 10 cigs plus a lighter to an older guy asking for a cig at the bus stop. My previous quit record was 30 days. I am looking to beat that by a longshot.

I am already running longer runs, and breathing easier. It is quite rewarding, and I do not stink! I am loving it!

OMG!!!! I so wanted a cigarette that night! And every day I had to look at the bear logo on my FB profile for losing a bet. But I didn't smoke ... Not yet. 21 days ... It seems like it has been so much longer.
  • klacount77
    Options
    Anyone on this thread who wants a weight loss, quitting smoking buddy ... I'm here for ya.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the responses you got, but here's how I finally did it (smoked for 15 years, quit 15 years ago):

1) BEFORE you stop, concentrate every time you smoke on how the back of your throat tastes. Really notice that rancid, rotting flavor that lives back there at the base of your tongue. That *kitten* is gross. Tattoo it on your brain.

2) Again, before you stop, concentrate on the tight, almost head-achy feeling you get in your temples when you over-smoke (if that term makes any sense). That just feels so unpleasant. Really seriously yucky.

3) Still before stopping, notice yourself clearing your throat. Notice the texture and the taste of that stuff you're moving around when you do that. That is some of the nastiest goop ever. Like just so disgusting it's hard to imagine. Now notice it some more.

4) Stop any of the behaviors that encourage your smoking before you try to quit cigarettes. Like if you really enjoy a cup of coffee and a cigarette, stop drinking coffee before you tackle smoking. When I stopped cigarettes, I first quit coffee, drinking, and my loser boyfriend. I have since gone back to the coffee and drinking. :drinker:

5) On the day you quit smoking, get rid of the smokes. Either by smoking them or by wetting them down so they disintegrate.

THEN

6) Begin fantasizing about the next time you smoke. Yes, I know the whole point is to QUIT, not to think about starting again. But much of what you're doing when you stop smoking is training your brain to stop (mental stuff), not just getting over the physical withdrawals from nicotine. When I first stopped, I woke in the morning thinking about how I would reward myself at lunchtime with a cigarette. I told myself I would concentrate on getting through the whole morning and then going to a certain store to purchase a certain brand and then go to a certain spot to enjoy it. Then when lunchtime came, instead of actually going out and buying cigarettes, I'd move my reward out to after work, then after my drive home, then tomorrow morning -- each time building my perfect smoking moment in my mind, beginning with buying a pack of smokes. I was very specific. There were times I wanted to smoke something dark and foreign -- Gauloises perhaps -- and other times I wanted more of a straight-forward American flavor like regular Marlboro's or maybe Camels. Sometimes I wanted to smoke on the balcony at my work, sometimes on my sunny back porch, sometimes in my car. Get creative -- this is YOUR fantasy. And it's pretty amazing how satisfying it can be if you give it a shot. Pretty soon I noticed my stretches of time between thinking of smoking grew longer and longer until they were just gone. Was it easy? Oh, hell no. But it worked.

7) This is actually a disclaimer, not an instruction: I made this "system" up. It occurred organically within my own little mind and it worked for me. There is no science behind it and I have no proof that it works except myself. It may help you, it may not. I certainly hope it does!

8) This IS an instruction: Remember to be kind to yourself. It's a hard addiction to kick.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I decided that I was ready and just did it. I threw out all my lighters. It definately was hard not to smoke after I would eat. I had to learn how to be in the car without smoking. I turned up the radio. I started putting the money I spent on smoking in a pickle jar. I was surprised how quickly the money added up and I took the family on a surprise mini vaction
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    I can't name the source, but I know this HAS to be scientific fact:

People who are non-smokers have better sex!

It has to be true! Guys, this should be a good chunk of motivation!
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread (on my phone), but there's a great book that really helps (yeah, a book, I know!) called the Easyway to stop smoking. The author's last name is Carr.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I love how much we recent quitters are into caps, in this thread, lol.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    My Bustec Professor said that I should get into something to read, as it may pop up as an interview question. You guys are telling me about this book. I think I should get this book. It is on Amazon for about $8. I just read the intro, and it had me intrigued. I may get it.

I am also going to be doing some resume building, and I think that on a refresh resume, it would look good to say "I quit smoking."
    Doesn't that say more about someone than a lot of other things?
  • nomorechub68
    Options
    Wish you the best....Shoot me a message if'n ya ever want some support or just want to chat....I quit March 3, 2010.
    Hugs
    Shelly
  • sweetheart37
    Options
    After reading this i have no reason to light one up tomorr, n with great mfp friends n support not only can i do it wevall who want to can...i started due to mad stress bad reason :(
  • BasukiTau06
    Options
    i used the patch step down method along with quit tea, or other tea and a quit smoking app on the front page of my phone with achievements and such telling me my progress! since i lost the taste for a cig by using the patch im not tempted to light up and i am so happy i am where i am right now:wink:
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 33 years. 4 years ago I got a prescriptin for Chantix. Some folks have nausea odd dreams etc. from it and some of the warnings they put on the packaging are things one would expect to experience just from qujitting smoking. I had none of those possible side effects at all so don't be scared to at least give it a try. Anyhow I got the meds and I used Quitnet (dot) com as a support group and even though I never believed I could quit...I am still smoke free and shocked every time I realize it. I took the meds for 6 months. it is expensive around $125-$140/mont (I don't remember exactly) but the state i live in has a program to help pay for the meds on a slideing scale fee depending on your income so they helped subsidize me. Even if I had to pay myself it would've still been cheaper than te price of cigarettes for a month in my case.

Best way I can think of to describe what the Chantix does is make ya feel like you ordered a pizza and onlyt got to lick the box. You can smoke for the first week or even two if you need to do so, but it just does nothing for ya so eventually you don't want to bother to smoke for no "reward".

My withdrawal dymptoims for quitting smoking felt exactly like being really hungry even had a growl in my tummy. If I knew then what I know now i would have made a point of eating properly and exercising a lot to help stay busy and to have not gained 80+ pounds. I've actually lost 50 ofthe weight but still a long ways to go. I figured at the time that quitting smoking was more important.

I don't work for whatever company makes Chantix. i am an innkeeper and a professional crafter so no motive for me to suggest Chantix except that it worked for me.

Barb