Easy healthy way to make Gluten Free Pie crust?

Options
I have requested my mom in law make me my own special pecan pie that's gluten free & I told her I would find her a recipe. She's never made a crust before, so I need easy! And while I know pecan pie isn't exactly healthy, I want to try to make it as healthy as I can, you know? I'm going to buy her the ingredients to make. Now I just need an easy recipe.

Replies

• shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    anyone? Please!
  • savvysarah
    Options
    2 cups AP GF flour
    3/4 cup lard or shortening
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs beaten
    3 tablespoons cold water

Mix flour, lard (shortening) and salt until mixture is pea like in size. Add beaten eggs and water and mix until sticks together. Form ball and put in fridge for 30 minutes.

*the all purpose gluten free blend flour I use contains xantham gum. If yours doesn't, you will want to add some xantham gum. You can probably search online for how much to add. Enjoy!
  • RedwoodsIris
    RedwoodsIris Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump:happy:
  • yessicasue
    yessicasue Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My favorite, and EASIEST pie crust ever is to buy Gluten Free shortbread cookies, crush them in a food processor, then mix with melted butter. Just add enough butter to bind the crumbs so you can press it into the pan easily. Then bake at 350 until slightly browned (be careful not to to over-bake) I use this crust for cheesecakes, fruit pies...anything that goes well with shortbread. I think it would go excellent with pecan. There are even GF Pecan-Shortbread cookies at my market that are to die for. You might look for those :) Good luck to you!
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just made and posted this to my blog today.

1-1/2 c. almond meal/flour
    3 Tbsp. melted butter
    3 Tbsp. Splenda

Mix all the above together in a large pie plate.Press evenly into the plate. bake at 350 degrees F. for 10-15 mins.Keep a close watch on it and don't let it burn.You need to cook the crust even if the normal recipe calls for an unbaked crust.Make sure to put foil around the edges of the pie when baking to prevent the edges of the crust from burning.

Made a low carb. pumpkin pie today using this crust and everyone loved it!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Via Choclate Covered Katie. I have not tried this I've tried some her other recipes and haven't loved them but this might work for you? I'm sure they make gluten free graham crackers.
    Healthy Graham Cracker Crust

(Almost instant!)

1 1/2 cups crumbs of Homemade Graham Crackers, or 10 graham cracker sheets
    3 tbsp milk of choice (Oil or Earth Balance will work, too.)

In a food processor, process crackers into fine crumbles. Add milk and process again to combine. Pour now-sticky crumbs into a prepared pie pan, and smush down very firmly with your hands or a sheet of wax paper. (Be sure to smush down VERY hard, as the lack of fat will make this crust crumbly if you don’t.) You can go up the sides if desired, and if you need a larger crust simply add more graham cracker sheets and milk of choice (I used almond milk) until it reaches the same consistency as the original recipe. There’s no need to pre-bake; just pour desired pie filling on top and then bake the pie according to whatever particular recipe you’re making. This also works great for no-bake pies or even freezer pies!