Blood Type Diet..One it, Tried it? Need advice

Options
Hi everyone. I have been told by lots of people IRL to try the blood type diet, has anyone tried this approach or is doing it now? Good results, not much? This isn't a fad diet correct?

Would love to get some input.

Thanks!

ETA - Sorry for the typo in the title, just noticed it!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of friends who loved it and lost on it and I read it..........and really it's a lot of common sense stuff.........it seems to have a focus on cutting sugars and carbs and eating clean. So.......yeah, that works for lots of folks but I don't think it has much to do with your blood type. ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have been told by lots of people IRL to try the blood type diet, has anyone tried this approach or is doing it now? Good results, not much? This isn't a fad diet correct?

Thanks!

With no disrespect, just giving you input:

Basing your diet on blood type would be like basing your brand of toilet paper on the color of your garage door.

It's quackery, and anyone getting results from it would be doing so because of thermodynamics, not because of blood type.

I would suggest that you don't bother, and I would instead recommend that you use MFP plus a food scale, track your intake, monitor results, and adjust intake as needed. Throw in some exercise and some patience and you will do very well.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    id never heard of it ... so i googled...
    part of me agrees with the above person... part of me went hangg on.... im A+

Blood group A is called the agrarian or cultivator by D'Adamo, where he believes a more recently evolved blood type dates from the dawn of agriculture 20,000 years ago. The diet recommends that individuals of blood group A eat a diet emphasizing vegetables and free of red meat, a more vegetarian food intake.

i like vegetables... people often think im vegetarian - friends, my cousin..... im not really an eater of red meat - well not if you lok at my recent diet but generally red meat is only on a sat when we have steak, the rest of the time its meat free or chicken... im now going to blame my blood for my eating habbits..... lol!
    x
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Thanks!

With no disrespect, just giving you input:

Basing your diet on blood type would be like basing your brand of toilet paper on the color of your garage door.

It's quackery, and anyone getting results from it would be doing so because of thermodynamics, not because of blood type.

I would suggest that you don't bother, and I would instead recommend that you use MFP plus a food scale, track your intake, monitor results, and adjust intake as needed. Throw in some exercise and some patience and you will do very well.

I do use MFP for all these things already, and i really dont know much about the diet just trying to see what its about. But thanks for the input, i wont spend much time looking into it now lol :)
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options

Good analogy.

This concept came around I think 20-30 years ago by some no name dietician claiming that we need to eat based on our blood type. There is no, I repeat, zero scientific evidence anywhere that supports these claims. In addition, all medical professionals quickly dismissed this is as illegitimate because of flawed theories and bad reproducibility in the small and skeptical studies conducted. Here's the basic concept:
    O blood type or "Original" as in reference to genetics of early man before we had more elaborate glycoprotein cell markers developed on our red cells. These people have strong metabolic abilities and can eat lots of nuts, meats, and harder vegetables. Like a paleo style. Apparently they need to keep more variety in their diet.
    A blood type or "Agricultural" just happens to be a coincidence that we discovered a new RBC cell marker around in our ancestors dating back to around the same time as when we started irrigating for food supply. There's no evidence to support the two events are linked. The diet suggests these people be more vegetarian and consume less meat. I'm A+...screw that!
    B and AB are "Modern" blood types and can manage more refined carbs and meats. B type is a different glycoprotein while AB's have both A and B. O's have neither of these glycoproteins.

The only biochemical evidence supporting these claims is that A's have a more acidic GI system and alkaline phosphatase floating around their small intestine. Both clinically insignificant.

Blood types only matter when you're getting a blood transfusion. The idea that the glycoprotein red cell markers influence your dietary function just sounds downright stupid.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have friends who swear by this diet and have been feeling great since making the change. I read some of the part on me, and some of it made sense (I am O). I take it as just another piece of information to consider and found it interesting.
  • martintanz
    Options
    My wife read the book and sort of believes in it. I am skeptical.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    My wife read the book and sort of believes in it. I am skeptical.
    as you should be
  • mtapia713
    mtapia713 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's another old crappy fad diet.

Side Point: A dietitian did NOT come up with this diet. A naturopathic physician named Peter D'Adamo, did.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence supporting this diet, by happy coincidence, I do seem to do well on a high protein diet and I am Type O, but sadly, studies don't bear it out. Wouldn't it be nice if it were so simple, though!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Thanks for the morning laugh! :)
    Silly analogies are so apt sometimes...
  • JamieAbnowski
    JamieAbnowski Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really don't agree with it. Any "diet" that tells me I shouldn't eat certain fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains is insane to me. Do I believe that each body can have individual sensitivities? Yes...but to cut out certain things altogether is ridiculous and not maintainable for me. I am blood type A which says that I should be vegetarian- but also cuts out a ton of different healthy fruits and veggies. :noway: I actively tried to cut out meats for awhile and up my fruits and veggies. The scale wouldn't move. In the past week, I have actively UPPED my protien intake with eggs, lean meats, and dairy while reducing high sugar fruits and LOST 6 LBS!!!! It is all about balance in my opinion. Eat what you like, don't let someone tell you what you can and cannot eat. Always in moderation and LOTS of produce!
  • linzoglesby
    linzoglesby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've actually read the books and I'm on the plan now. I am losing weight, exercising as it advises, taking the recommended supplements and feeling great. It just doesn't tell you about food, it goes into supplements and exercise as well.

There are millions of people that live by this lifestyle and it works for them. It makes sense why some food and exercise programs will work for some people but not all. Most people that follow this plan have an ailment that has been bothering them for years and following this plan has helped them. Migraines, IBS, ulcers, ADHD, chronic fatigue, etc.... Read their actual testimonies, its amazing.

Weight loss is just an added bonus if your overweight.

All diets and food plans have critics, so does this one.
  • alli_dalli
    alli_dalli Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to give it a go and only eat whats on the list for the whole of November.. I'm AB Positive. Strangely coffee, bread and red wine are all good. Happy days!

It probably IS nonsense but a little part of me believes it could work. I've felt tired for years for no reason so I'm thinking it could be my diet.

I'll let you know how I get on!
  • lisamarie2181
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I finally just found out my blood type and this is what sparked the curiosity lol I have PCOS so I already eat high protein, lower carb (like 120) but I do make sure I get lots of veggies and I have been trying to keep my fruit to once a day because sometimes the sugar causes me to crave things.

I am O positive and after reading some of the things, I mean it does fit. Just not sure if it is really just the calorie deficit that is causing you to lose and eating certain things may help, but what makes it sketchy to me is cutting out nutrient dense veggies, that is where I feel like that might not be good for you body.

But what do I know? lol I am not a nutritionist or dr, so it probably does work well for others. Might just have to do a bit more research! Can never know too much lol
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Just not sure if it is really just the calorie deficit that is causing you to lose

Calorie deficits are a requirement for weight loss outside of fluid changes.

what makes it sketchy to me is cutting out nutrient dense veggies, that is where I feel like that might not be good for you body.

I don't mean to just come in here and repeat what I've already said, but trash the idea of a blood type diet. It's total nonsense.

Create an energy deficit.
    Get some exercise
    Eat nutrient dense foods as the majority of your diet and please do not eliminate vegetables as that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in a diet and believe me I've seen some remarkably dumb diets.
    Get rest
    repeat.

And since you have PCOS the only thing I'd add FOR YOU would be that you may be a good candidate for a low(er) carbohydrate approach.
  • lisamarie2181
    Options
    Maybe I worded that wrong, I am saying no matter what approach you follow, the calorie deficit is what is the common factor, and not sure following their guidelines is what is bringing you success, or if its just because you are in a calorie deficit that makes you think it is the program.

I already do lower carb, but I do not restrict my veggies except for starchy ones like potatoes and corn.

I understand every diet has in common the calorie deficit, but for me, eating clean and healthy has given me more success then eating junk at the same calorie level. that is why I don't do weight watchers or eat in moderation type thing. I do eat lower carb, I refuse to go below 50, been there plenty of times and ate barely any veggies because I would overdue my carbs. I have them set now so the majority of the time I get about 30-40g fiber, which nets me below 100.

But a lot of people think low carbs diets are all stage one atkins 20 net carbs a day, so it is called a fad diet, when in fact it isn't, people choose to use it that way. That strict carb constriction is to turn the body to fat burn, but if you actually follow the program all the way through, it gets you to eat healthy nutrient dense foods, it pretty much cut out all the junk. I don't consider that a fad diet.

I have heard alot of people have success with this approach, that was why i curious, not saying this is what I plan to do. I do not eat below my bmr, exercise and eating healthy nutrient dense foods, with the occasional "off track" meal.

But I do not call something a fad without doing some research on it myself so that was why i posted this to get people opinions if they have done it, what it has done for them.

I don't want to just be knowledgeable in my own lifestyle habits, I like to learn about other approaches and what is good and bad about them. Not everyone's bodies process the same, even staying at a calorie deficit. Some can eat junk and lose and others can't. There is a reason for that, so my curious mind likes to find these things out :)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    This is just for leisure reading since you said you like to research. I find this article fascinating and don't let the title persuade you not to read it:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've never even heard of the "blood type diet". What exactly is this?
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    id never heard of it ... so i googled...
    part of me agrees with the above person... part of me went hangg on.... im A+

Blood group A is called the agrarian or cultivator by D'Adamo, where he believes a more recently evolved blood type dates from the dawn of agriculture 20,000 years ago. The diet recommends that individuals of blood group A eat a diet emphasizing vegetables and free of red meat, a more vegetarian food intake.

i like vegetables... people often think im vegetarian - friends, my cousin..... im not really an eater of red meat - well not if you lok at my recent diet but generally red meat is only on a sat when we have steak, the rest of the time its meat free or chicken... im now going to blame my blood for my eating habbits..... lol!
    x

That's funny. i'm A+ and a vegetarian!

However, I looked up this diet once when my friend got all fanatictastic (new word) on it, she's now "gluten intolerant." Interesting. Whatever the diet craze may be, she falls for it.

Anywho, during my vetting, I found that it has not been proven in any scientific studies; blood type doesn't necessarily have anything to do with weight loss. Diet and exercise do, so yah, if I eat healthy and work out occasionally. I will probably lose weight. Go figure.