Warrior Dash/ Spartan Sprint, and being Overweight?

Options
histora
histora Posts: 287 Member
Good afternoon,

I am wondering if someone can do either the Warrior Dash or Spartan Sprint while being overweight? I'm 5'6" and 244 lbs. I'd like to get an idea of what I would need to work on to finish one of these events, and whether it really is something for people off the couch like they say, or if maybe I don't qualify as "off the couch" yet.

Any advice is welcome, and if you need more info I will certainly add more.

Thanks!

Replies

• mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first Spartan Sprint in July. I am so excited. Unfortunately, I have no idea how difficult they are just yet. I kind of forced my husband to sign up for it as well. He isn't exactly training for it and I am a bit concerned might not be ready.
    Can you do burpees? I heard if you can't get through an obstacle in the Spartan Sprint you have to do 30 burpees..
  • histora
    Options
    This may sound hilariously naive, but what is a burpee? All I can think of is the German WWII guns or seed company...
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Can you run the distance currently? (sans "warrior" stuff)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    each of those races have a website with a training plan of what you should do to get ready- if you read that and cant handle it- maybe start training now and catch the next one at the perfect time?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It may not be easy for you and there may be some obstacles you have to skip.. but you can absolutely do it. And it'll be some of the most fun you'll ever have.

• deftanker
    deftanker Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!!

The only way to find out is if you go. If you cant complete it at least you gave it your all and will be even more motivated next year. There is Beer involved so it cant be too serious. besides its not like you need to WIN it, just completing it will boost your own moral.

do it do it do it!!!
  • hjackson1226
    hjackson1226 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for both. I currently go to the gym when I can (which isnt often lately). I am 5'6 and weigh 208. I will do the warrior dash in October and the Spartan Sprint a few months later. I keep telling myself I have all summer to train but reality is I gotta get moving!

I think you can definitely do this. I have a cousin who easily weighs 275-300 who has completed both. His mom and dad both finished warrior dash too and his mom isn't in very good health at all. She is definitely my inspiration to get through them.

Just make it a point to train. Insanity is a great program to build endurance and it will also teach you to do burpees if I'm not mistaken (it has been a while since I did Insanity). If all else fails look it up on youtube. They are definitely harder than they look. But the day you can push out 50 burpees and not fall over, you will feel amazing. When I started Insanity I could do maybe 10 and I felt like I was going to die. Now I can do 50.

Believe in yourself. Make it a point to train. You can do it!

Also, signing up and forking out the cash to participate in these things is great motivation too. I have found that since I am now out over $100 I am motivated be get conditioned to finish these races.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,

I am wondering if someone can do either the Warrior Dash or Spartan Sprint while being overweight? I'm 5'6" and 244 lbs. I'd like to get an idea of what I would need to work on to finish one of these events, and whether it really is something for people off the couch like they say, or if maybe I don't qualify as "off the couch" yet.

Any advice is welcome, and if you need more info I will certainly add more.

Thanks!

I did both last summer -- the Warrior Dash with a sprained ankle no less. I was about 234 lbs when I did them. I struggled with a few of the upper body strength obstacles (pulling myself up onto a platform) but managed to complete all of them.

I used this training plan for the WD and it came in really useful for the Spartan Sprint too!

http://www.warriordash.com/documents/training/WD_StrengthTraining_Virgin.pdf

Most importantly, HAVE FUN WITH THE PROCESS. It's rewarding in and of itself!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    It may not be easy for you and there may be some obstacles you have to skip.. but you can absolutely do it. And it'll be some of the most fun you'll ever have.

What Brett said. I did my first one last year bigger than you are, and I'm doing one again tomorrow at still about your size. I completed about 75% of the obstacles last time, tried every one but some I just didnt' have the upper body strength. But I did it, and it was a BLAST, obviously, b/c I'm doing it again! Just go in with the attitude of having fun.
  • histora
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for both the information and the encouragement! :flowerforyou:

After digging more into it, I think I'll train using the Virgin Warrior guideline that Andiwho offered. Knowing that I am not the first "big person" to go for it helps too! I don't know if I will be able to afford it this year, but even if I can't, just training for it will give me hope that I can make it next summer instead.

I have a cousin doing Tough Mudder, and I think she's insane. :laugh:

I had a horrible experience with Insanity in my Individual Fitness class, and while I keep telling myself it was the instructor's fault, I'm still afraid of it. She just put the DVD in, turned it on, and left us to our own devices. Having just cleared bronchitis and still struggling with my weight, I nearly died 10 minutes in...but she didn't tell us whether or not quitting early gave us an incomplete for the day. I left the room shortly after with a serious case of sciatica. She ran the video, then turned it off and left without guiding the class through a cool-down. Please, someone tell me that the videos are intense, but I won't die part way through from a massive coronary? :indifferent:
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes you can!!! I did the Dash last year & saw 300lbs + people participating. It’s not about wining, it’s about finishing! You go girl!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i did Spartan Race today, and was very surprised by the amount of people that were over-weight. not that they weren't trying or anything, but they were going slower then others. hell, everyone went at their own pace. i know i got passed plenty of times. i was at the last obstacle and a guy i know start a half hour after me was neck and neck with me.

these races are designed to be fun and a lot about cammraderie. yes it is timed, but only if you are interested.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    i did Spartan Race today, and was very surprised by the amount of people that were over-weight. not that they weren't trying or anything, but they were going slower then others. hell, everyone went at their own pace. i know i got passed plenty of times. i was at the last obstacle and a guy i know start a half hour after me was neck and neck with me.

these races are designed to be fun and a lot about cammraderie. yes it is timed, but only if you are interested.
    RIGHT! I'm in fairly good shape and the warrior dash took me over an hour. Lines at the obstacles make for great rest/recovery stops. Have fun. Get dirty (no choice).
  • Mom2PresNGrace
    Options
    I'm seriously considering the WD. I'm 5'7" and 209. I'm not in the greatest shape, but man it looks like fun!
  • joevennare
    Options
    ANYONE can do the warrior dash or spartan sprint regardless of their current weight! All you need is the proper training and the race will be just a step in your goal of weight loss and a better life. Its not a matter of If it is just a matter of when.

Check out Race Day Domination and their free beginners guide to obstacle race training here: http://www.racedaydomination.com/free-download/

If you have any questions just reach out to us on facebook and we will do our best to make sure you are prepared.

Do Work,

Joe Vennare