Warrior Dash / Tough Mudder Training

Options
A couple of friends and I are wanting to do a Tough Mudder next year. I thought it would be fun to do a Warrior Dash first.
Has anyone done either of these races? If so what did you do to prepare for them? I found the Tough Mudder training schedule online but want to make sure I'm fully prepared since I'm not a runner. WHat did you do to prepare?

Replies

• rabbit99_47203
    Options
    I want to too.
  • nursee67
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash in June..mainly just for fun. But the website says to train...go outside and run as fast as you can...turn around and go home. Next day, do the same...
    It is super fun to do...you will have a blast! Some people want to compete for great run times, others like me, just had a good time!
  • world2c
    world2c Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I did my first warrior dash this year. I normally go for jogs most mornings, and the last 6 weeks leading up to the dash, we did trail runs. Lots different running on trails and jumping over logs. I did a few push ups, but not many. So, I was sort of prepared, but not fully... but it didn't matter, it was a LOT OF FUN!!! There are a lot of local clubs that actually do bootcamps or training sessions, so if you want to have an edge, you might want to sign up for those. However, for mine, it rained the three days prior to the race, so there was a good 6 inches of mud on the course.... You can't really train for that. Everybody (even the serious athletes) were slpipping and sliding.... The thing I can tell you, is be ready to have a great time, try to build up some upper body strength (to help get you over the walls) and just get used to going for about 3-4 miles (whether you walk or run doesn't matter).

Hope that you have an absolute blast like we did!! Oh, and bring your friends and your camera!! :)
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just finished my second Warrior Dash on Sunday and wrote a review for a friend of mine. You can read my blog here;
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dcgonz/view/so-you-want-to-be-a-warrior-147907

It will give you an idea on how I trained and what the course and obstacles were like.

Diana
  • clong1985
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to do these races!
    My husband and one of his Sergeants just ran the Spartan Race on August 27 (which, as I understand it, is sort of the big brother to the Warrior Dash).
    This is his (albeit insane) workout schedule. Granted, he has been training to go to Army basic training and later Ranger school, but it worked out well for the Spartan Race!

Sunday: 6-13 Mile run
    Monday: 2-2.5 mile run then 90 minutes Chest and Triceps finish with 10 minutes on stairs
    Tuesday: 2-2.5 mile run then 90 minutes Back and Biceps finish with 10 minutes on stairs
    Wednesday: No cardio 90 Minutes legs and shoulders finish
    Thursday: 3-5 mile run 45-60minutes Abs finish with
    Friday: 2-5 mile run 90 minutes full body (light weights high reps)
    Saturday: Rest day or swap with Friday

He and the Sergeant finished in an hour and 33 minutes, which was pretty damn good as far as I was concerned, we had a Marine friend take 2 1/2 hours to finish. I am told the average time for the Warrior Dash is around 1 hour. From an observational standpoint, I would say the most important factors were being equally prepared in cardio/endurance/strength, and most of all, mentally prepared. I would worry least about speed. It seemed that the people who trucked up the first hill fastest at the start were the ones falling apart after the first obstacles, losing shoes, etc. Also, there were people who ran alone but I can't imagine how they completed it... I think having a buddy is a REALLY good idea.
    If you want firsthand information feel free to message and/or friend my husband, his screenname is natekorpusik.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Thank's girls!
  • joevennare
    Options
    We have had a ton of our athletes do both races and it is a great idea to do the WD first. To get you going here is one of our Tough Mudder kettlebell workouts, let me know if you have any questions.

If you are not using kettlebells as part of your Obstacle Race training program you are missing out. Strength training for an obstacle course race should not be confined to power lifting or circuit training alone. Training with equipment like kettlebells that require and promote functional, explosive force and power will assist you in maneuvering your body up, over, or around any obstacle.

Tough Mudder Training with Kettlebells

Kettlebell Exercises for a Tough Mudder Training:

Two-hand Kettlebell Swing: Standing in exercise position*, using the basic grip** to hold the kettlebell with both hands, sink into a squat with the weight between the legs. Keep the torso upright, the abs braced and the arms loose. At the bottom of the movement shift your weight back onto your heels. Standing up from the squatted position, use your hips to propel the weight to hip level. Then, engaging the hips and core, swing the weight up higher until you reach shoulder level. Focus on using your hips and legs to move the weight, rather than your arms.

Thruster: Beginning in exercise position*, grasp kettlebell with the hook grip**. Hold the kettlebell with elbows bent at chest height. Maintaining proper exercise position with the weight at the chest, perform a squat. While standing up from the bottom of the squat simultaneously thrust, or press, the kettlebell up to overhead position. As you return to the bottom of the squat, lower the kettlebell back to chest level and repeat.

Deadlift-High Pull: Beginning in exercise position*, grasp kettlebell with the regular two hand grip**. Squat down to the bottom of the squat position, keeping the arms straight, the torso upright and the abs braced. Driving through the heels, thrust the hips as you rise to a standing position. As you near the top of the squat position, engage the arms to bring the elbows up and above the shoulders as you would during a high pull.

Keep the weight close to the body and use the power of your hips to pull the weight up, rather than your arms. Return back to the bottom of the squat and repeat.

Weighted sit-up: Lie on the floor with knees bent in a sit-up position. Take the kettlebell in your hands and grasp it with a two hand hook grip**. Laying onto your back, lock your arms out over your chest. Maintaining a positive arch in the back, with the chest up and chin high, sit-up off of the ground pressing the kettlebell upwards toward the ceiling.

Once you reach the top of the sit-up position with arms overhead, pause before descending to the starting position.
    Tough Mudder Workout:

Warm-up

10-1 (10 of each, 9, 8…1)

Kettlebell Weighted Sit-up

Bodyweight Squat

Training

400m Run

25x Kettlebell Swing

400m Run

25x Kettlebell Thruster

400m Run

25x Kettlebell Deadlift-High Pull