When to start training for "Warrior Dash"

Options
I am looking to do the Warrior Dash in August 2012, I have a personal trainer that I am paying for but not using at this moment... I want to use him to train for the Warrior Dash .. I am currently doing C25K cuz I figured that is what my first move should be.. I was talking to the gym manager and he said he would like my trainer to focus on strength .. since I will need a lot of it for Warrior Dash..

How long prior to the Warrior Dash did you start training? Were you already in shape for it? (I am 5'3 270lbs)

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I'm doing something similar November 5th this year.... I can let you know how it goes for me who is still over weight and out of shape (though better shape than I was in last year).

I think similar to warrior dash, all the obstacles look accomplish-able without much training....except for the 5 ft walls to scale...I don't know about you, but I'm not sure if I can lift myself over that without any help or a boost. The advice I was given (but didn't take because I have no patience) was wait until you can complete a 5K (run/jog a 5K).
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    The obstacle are really not "trainable" but yea I would say get to running! it is more of a fun run anyways - Good Luck!
  • jocraw66
    Options
    With regard to Warrior Dash focus on running the three miles and then work on some upper body strength. I didn't have an issue with any of the obstacles but the rope wall climb was the most challenging for me. If I hadn't any upperbody strength I likely wouldn't have made it.

My workouts are running and crossfit. I didn't really train for Warrior Dash but I'm pretty fit already. If you aren't up to running then I'd work on that and like I said some upper body stuff. Look into Crossfit. Even for a couple of months prior to the event and you should be good to go with regard to being strong enough.

Warrior Dash was so much fun and I can't wait to do it again.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    With regard to Warrior Dash focus on running the three miles and then work on some upper body strength. I didn't have an issue with any of the obstacles but the rope wall climb was the most challenging for me. If I hadn't any upperbody strength I likely wouldn't have made it.

My workouts are running and crossfit. I didn't really train for Warrior Dash but I'm pretty fit already. If you aren't up to running then I'd work on that and like I said some upper body stuff. Look into Crossfit. Even for a couple of months prior to the event and you should be good to go with regard to being strong enough.

Warrior Dash was so much fun and I can't wait to do it again.

What is crossfit?
  • mdudra
    mdudra Posts: 17
    Options
    I've done it every year for the last 3 years, and all I have to say is that you are going to have a BLAST!!! Unfortunately, I have to miss next year for my best friends wedding, but I'm excited for you! Your going to have so much fun!

Unfortunately, I've never trained, per say.. But at Wyndam Mountain in NY (Northeast race), the first .75 mile is running up a ski mountain (really steep) and though its not even considered an obstacle, it always gives me the most trouble. Good luck!! Smile for the camera men and have fun!
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would agree with training for the run itself, but you should only run 3 days a week and then on the other 2 do strength training. Or if you have flexibility, why not do your 5K training and then afterwards incorporate your strength training. And working the different body parts each day. Your trainer will be able to help with this big time.

I am doing the Warrior Dash in July 2012, and I am sort of preparing for it now.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I've started the C25K to concentrate on my running.. I know that is first... I just know I have a long ways away from being able to complete the Dash
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I used the P90X program to help me train as well as doing some running. Just so you know, the obstacles vary by location. The one I did in Ohio had some pretty substantial inclines and declines on the hills we were running. A friend of mine did the one in Pennsylvania said hers didn't have much in the way of hills. For mine, it would have been helpful to have gotten in more training on hills. Still I had a blast and I'm doing one next month in Texas with some cousins and family there. Very much looking forward to it! You have a lot of time to train and I would just keep working on building your running and upper body strength to get you over a rope wall. Don't forget to look for something fun to wear. There was a team of smurfs at the one I ran. Good times!
  • loved11
    loved11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    my warrior dash is in 3weeks. I have been doing insanity and started to run, working slowly up to 4 miles by the 20th. I am using a combo of insanity and p90x, core, legs, plylo. I will let you know how i do and what i could do different after the race. the trail i am running is fairly rugged and hills. I plan to do my runs with a couple steep hill at the end there are several at the park where i run.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Find the biggest mud puddle you can and run/jump/leap/crawl/belly flop in it!!
  • kburnslicsw
    Options
    hoping to do one of these next year. starting c25k today!
  • asilver615
    asilver615 Posts: 8
    Options
    I did Warrior Dash last 2 or 3 wks ago, May 5 in New Mexico and I'm doing it again in Colorado, August 2012. I don't consider myself athlete since I'm small-petite. However, I used to train with a personal trainer last yr, but then I stop and did a one month Boothcamp. I'm surprised I did all the obstacles that I'm scared off like Climbing the Great wall, Cargo net, the balance beam; etc. It's all about Cardio-Strenght and running the hills.

The biggest drawback for me was running the hills. I suggest that you should train more on running up and down the hills. I usually run at the gym since it has a track, but it didn't really help me. In Warrior Dash or Tough Mudder you are not going to run in a flat surface. It is mainly hills & rocky surface.

FOCUS is important too! I was going to freak out when I was on top of cargo net because I don't know where to put my other leg when you switch to the other side or when you go down the net and I'm scared of heights too. Good thing I'm flexible and so I did it slowly climbing back down..There's also other ladies that are freaking out that they can't do this and that. If you are not comfortable with the obstacles then you can go through the side and skip it.

As for strength: Do burpees, push ups, bear crawls, dips, planks, pull ups, lunges. Also, work your 'Grip' for pulling the rope, 'Flexibility' and 'Balance' for the balance beam.

Other than that have fun, stay focus and be positive. A lot of my cousins were asking me if I'm ready to do it, and I'm glad I did it and I had a fun experience that I can now brag. hehe.. Good luck!
  • joevennare
    Options
    Training for a Mud run or obstacle course race like Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, or warrior dash should include workouts that are focused on strength, cardio, and race specific skills. I have competed in a number of obstacle races, triathlon, and ultra marathon and found this type of training to be most effective.

Your main training goals should be to:
    • Increase strength relative to bodyweight, cardiovascular and muscular stamina, durability, and mental toughness
    • Learn, execute, and improve efficient biomechanics of functional movements like running, lifting, climbing, jumping, and landing
    • Develop core strength and stability through functional, compound movements
    • Improve balance, lower limb strength, and muscular recruitment and coordination under weight-bearing loads

Look to include compound, functional movements like kettlebell swings. Train under a weight-bearing load, over an extended period of time completing resisted runs, sprints, hill climbs, and stadium stairs. Finally, train skills specific to the race including relative strength, grip strength, core strength/stability, dynamic, unilateral, and non-linear movement, transfer of force/power, and transport a load.

Some workout suggestions include:

Strength Training:

Bodyweight exercises: squat, lunge, push-up, pull-up, dips

Loaded bodyweight exercise: adding weight/an additional load to pull-ups and dips

Kettlebells: in the strength training category kettlebells are paired with Olympic or compound movements during circuits that incorporate a heavier weight and fewer repetitions

Cardiovascular conditioning: Even if you are not a runner or endurance athlete, cardiovascular exercise still needs to be factored into your training program. In addition to some longer distance efforts try interval training.

High Intensity Intervals: working at or near max effort to fatigue the muscles and lungs. Alternate between periods of all our effort and shorter periods of rest.

Example: 400m all out sprint followed by a rest period that is half the amount of time it took your to complete the 400m sprint. Repeat 6-8 times

Intervals/Hill Sprints/Track Workouts: Mixed work periods from intense effort to low/moderate effort.

Example: Hill sprint that takes 60-90 seconds to complete, then walking or easy jog to start line. Repeat 8-12 times.

Tabata: High intensity working set for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeated for 8-12 sets.

Example: Overhead kettlebell swings for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat 8-12 times.

Try implementing these strategies and feel free to email me at joe@hybridathlete.org for additional workouts.

You can get more info from my free download here: http://www.racedaydomination.com/free-download/

Here is a bodyweight workout to get you started!

Warm-up:

Jog@ 2-5 minutes

Lunge @25 yards

Reverse Lunge @ 25 yards Walking

Broad Jump @ 25 yards

Training:

2 Round

50x Step-up (each leg, add weight vest or resistance if possible)

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

3 Rounds @ 50 yards each movement

Bear Crawl

75% Sprint

Plank Crawl

Walking Lunge

Bounding Jump Squats