Train for 5k (WarriorDash) in Four Weeks?

Options
A discounted admission for the Warrior Dash in East Texas came up on Living Social earlier this week and I bought it. I thought it would be a fun fitness challenge. However, reality is starting to settle in as I start to absorb the fact that it is essentially a 5k trail run with obstacles.

I've lost 45 or so pounds since May doing P90X and TurboFire. My second round of P90X Classic (and third overall) ends in two weeks. I am curious if being ready to run a 5k is possible within a four week time frame while finishing up my P90X round and getting in some training for the obstacles.

I have never been a strong runner. The most running I ever did was back in high school (over 20 years ago) during soccer season.i think I could run a 7:30 mile at best. The training programs I see all call for 8 or more weeks of training to get ready for a 5k. I feel I am in very good shape for a 40 year old, but my workouts have just been P90X of late with Plyometrics being the toughest cardio workout. It has some intense moves, but they are only for thirty seconds each. I haven't done a lot of endurance, solid state or repetitive training.

I would love to do the challenge, but I need to be realistic. I don't want to push too hard and hurt myself only to miss the race, but I do want to do the race to say that I did and give myself a great sense of accomplishment on this fitness and weight loss journey of mine.

So, after that long-winded post, is it a realistic goal? What should I do first? Run a mile and see how I feel and check my time and pace?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I think so. The run is broken up by the obstacles, so it isn't a straight 5k run. There were people who were walking portions. Finish times were anywhere from 26 minutes (insane!!) to nearly 2 hours, on the course I did. Every course is different due to the terrain.

I would try to run a few 5ks just on the roads before the race, but I'm sure you could finish.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    have you looked at the C25K program ? im not sure the length etc but i hear lots of positive things about from the folks that have done it. personally i would just do what you can, it doesn't have to be a sprint. I am not a consistent runner either. currently I average about 9:30 per mile. I will be doing a warrior dash this June. I will be 50 this fall so I understand the age thing, and like you have lost alot of weight ( 35 pounds ). good luck !!!
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The C25k schedule is 8 weeks or training. I am active enough (6 days per week or exercise) to not consider myself "Couch", but not a runner. That is where I am a bit confused/worried.
  • Mom4hats
    Mom4hats Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its not straight running but broken up with the obstacles. I think you'll do fine, your just getting panicky, which is normal for this sort of race. I have many friends who did it last year in Michigan and all person ranged in fitness level, with varied completion times (40 min to 90 min). There is a lot of support, encouragement and cheers on the course. I'm doing it this summer with my 15 yr old dtr. What worries my more is I have poor upper body/arm strength, so I'm starting to focus now on push ups, core etc. I think with the workout program your doing now, you'll be ok. Just do it, have fun, make the goal to complete. Don't go for a time, Good luck :)
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You don't do that much running in Warrior Dash, and the obstacles are easy.... Like the stuff we did as kids on the playground. The one in NY was on a mountain, so we ran I think a half mile up an extremely steep incline, but that's all the running I remember. I DO remember having the time of my life!!!!!! Enjoy it!
  • lipglossjunky73
    Options
    The C25k schedule is 8 weeks or training. I am active enough (6 days per week or exercise) to not consider myself "Couch", but not a runner. That is where I am a bit confused/worried.

Not necessary for Warrior Dash. You'll see. I also panicked but was shocked at how little running this entailed.
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did WD last year and found that most of the people walked or run/walked between obstacles by the end. It is a blast! Have fun and bring a change of clothes. :smile:
  • lipglossjunky73
    Options
    I did WD last year and found that most of the people walked or run/walked between obstacles by the end. It is a blast! Have fun and bring a change of clothes. :smile:

Also the one I did let you donate your sneakers, so I wore a pair I was going to get rid of anyway!
  • lipglossjunky73
    Options
    With all the p90x you do you will be fine, btw!
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You will do fine! These are all about team work and helping each other finish. There is not a lot of running involved either. I have decided to get back into shape and sign up for these as motivators. Last year I did two 10 mile tough mudders and a 13 mile spartan beast, all at ski resorts! I am the farthest thing from a runner but enjoy the steep hikes and trail aspects, as well as all the fun challenging obstacles. Our finish times may not be great, but to set out a goal of finishing and doing so in one piece feels great! If you sign up for more, you will continue to train. I am addicted to these races and the feeling of accomplishment that goes with. Good luck!
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far! The competitive part of me doesn't want to walk though. I probably need to get over that mental hump.
  • joevennare
    Options
    Training for a Mud run or obstacle course race like Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, or warrior dash should include workouts that are focused on strength, cardio, and race specific skills. I have competed in a number of obstacle races, triathlon, and ultra marathon and found this type of training to be most effective.

Your main training goals should be to:
    • Increase strength relative to bodyweight, cardiovascular and muscular stamina, durability, and mental toughness
    • Learn, execute, and improve efficient biomechanics of functional movements like running, lifting, climbing, jumping, and landing
    • Develop core strength and stability through functional, compound movements
    • Improve balance, lower limb strength, and muscular recruitment and coordination under weight-bearing loads

Look to include compound, functional movements like kettlebell swings. Train under a weight-bearing load, over an extended period of time completing resisted runs, sprints, hill climbs, and stadium stairs. Finally, train skills specific to the race including relative strength, grip strength, core strength/stability, dynamic, unilateral, and non-linear movement, transfer of force/power, and transport a load.

Some workout suggestions include:

Strength Training:

Bodyweight exercises: squat, lunge, push-up, pull-up, dips

Loaded bodyweight exercise: adding weight/an additional load to pull-ups and dips

Kettlebells: in the strength training category kettlebells are paired with Olympic or compound movements during circuits that incorporate a heavier weight and fewer repetitions

Cardiovascular conditioning: Even if you are not a runner or endurance athlete, cardiovascular exercise still needs to be factored into your training program. In addition to some longer distance efforts try interval training.

High Intensity Intervals: working at or near max effort to fatigue the muscles and lungs. Alternate between periods of all our effort and shorter periods of rest.

Example: 400m all out sprint followed by a rest period that is half the amount of time it took your to complete the 400m sprint. Repeat 6-8 times

Intervals/Hill Sprints/Track Workouts: Mixed work periods from intense effort to low/moderate effort.

Example: Hill sprint that takes 60-90 seconds to complete, then walking or easy jog to start line. Repeat 8-12 times.

Tabata: High intensity working set for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeated for 8-12 sets.

Example: Overhead kettlebell swings for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat 8-12 times.

Try implementing these strategies and feel free to email me at joe@hybridathlete.org for additional workouts.

You can get more info from my free download here: http://www.racedaydomination.com/free-download/

Here is a bodyweight workout to get you started!

Warm-up:

Jog@ 2-5 minutes

Lunge @25 yards

Reverse Lunge @ 25 yards Walking

Broad Jump @ 25 yards

Training:

2 Round

50x Step-up (each leg, add weight vest or resistance if possible)

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

3 Rounds @ 50 yards each movement

Bear Crawl

75% Sprint

Plank Crawl

Walking Lunge

Bounding Jump Squats

Do Work!
    Joe Vennare
    Hybrid Athlete and Race Day Domination