How did you train for your mud run (warrior dash, tough mudd

Options
I'm doing this guy in April:

http://www.survivormudrun.com/locations/locations_nor_cal.htm#

I have a very active schedule that I quite like, so I'm reluctant to change. Do I need to mix up my training to properly prepare for this?

Currently I do 3x week heavy(ish) lifting (ala New Rules), 2 days interval running-3 miles, and 4 days dance class (not the standard prescribed mud run prep, I know, but this is pure joy to me so I will not be forgoing.)

How did you prepare? Or did you keep doing your standard thing and rely on your general fitness?

Replies

• MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    If i knew i definitely would be in California by then i SO would make the trip to do it with ya. But not sure when ill be relocated. Looks like a ton of fun!!!! :o) Not really sure how to train for that though. lol, just keep up the good work and im sure you'll do awesome!!!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    bumping bc I really want to know....
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm training for a 5K obstacle course race this spring/summer, so I'm curious about your posts. I figured I'd do a combination of a 5K training program that I found on Fitness magazine's website for beginners and I'm doing the Virgin Warrior Dash weightlifting program, which I got from the Warrior Dash website.

Shannon
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Oh, great, thanks. I'll check those out!
  • skarr28
    skarr28 Posts: 98
    Options
    *Bump*
  • clkuchtyn
    clkuchtyn Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump. Curious for the zombie run.

www.runforyourlives.com
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this guy in April:

http://www.survivormudrun.com/locations/locations_nor_cal.htm#

I have a very active schedule that I quite like, so I'm reluctant to change. Do I need to mix up my training to properly prepare for this?

Currently I do 3x week heavy(ish) lifting (ala New Rules), 2 days interval running-3 miles, and 4 days dance class (not the standard prescribed mud run prep, I know, but this is pure joy to me so I will not be forgoing.)

How did you prepare? Or did you keep doing your standard thing and rely on your general fitness?
    [/quote.

I'm doing the Tough Mudder in SoCal in July! I heard u have 2 work on your upper body!!! Its more upper body obstacles than running! U can go on their site and it has a training guide for it! I can't wait 2 do mine!!!!
  • sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    Options
    I did a Warrior Dash and Spartan Race. I thought Warrior Dash was a lot easier than Spartan. For WD I started running and did home dvds, basically relied on my general fitness. For Spartan did a little more strength training, but needed more upper body strength for some of the obstacles. I would say DEFINITELY work on upper body strength!! Good luck & have fun!!
  • dwhalley529
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm doing the Down and Dirty Mud Run in Chicago on 5/20/12. This will be my first. I'm not a runner and have been trying to get myself "up to speed". I've gotten great advice so far in the real world and I'm happy to get any thing I can on NFP. I am planning on doing as many as possible through the upcoming year to train for a Tough Mudder in March of 2013.
  • joevennare
    Options
    Training for a Mud run or obstacle course race like Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, or warrior dash should include workouts that are focused on strength, cardio, and race specific skills. I have competed in a number of obstacle races, triathlon, and ultra marathon and found this type of training to be most effective.

Your main training goals should be to:
    • Increase strength relative to bodyweight, cardiovascular and muscular stamina, durability, and mental toughness
    • Learn, execute, and improve efficient biomechanics of functional movements like running, lifting, climbing, jumping, and landing
    • Develop core strength and stability through functional, compound movements
    • Improve balance, lower limb strength, and muscular recruitment and coordination under weight-bearing loads

Look to include compound, functional movements like kettlebell swings. Train under a weight-bearing load, over an extended period of time completing resisted runs, sprints, hill climbs, and stadium stairs. Finally, train skills specific to the race including relative strength, grip strength, core strength/stability, dynamic, unilateral, and non-linear movement, transfer of force/power, and transport a load.

Some workout suggestions include:

Strength Training:

Bodyweight exercises: squat, lunge, push-up, pull-up, dips

Loaded bodyweight exercise: adding weight/an additional load to pull-ups and dips

Kettlebells: in the strength training category kettlebells are paired with Olympic or compound movements during circuits that incorporate a heavier weight and fewer repetitions

Cardiovascular conditioning: Even if you are not a runner or endurance athlete, cardiovascular exercise still needs to be factored into your training program. In addition to some longer distance efforts try interval training.

High Intensity Intervals: working at or near max effort to fatigue the muscles and lungs. Alternate between periods of all our effort and shorter periods of rest.

Example: 400m all out sprint followed by a rest period that is half the amount of time it took your to complete the 400m sprint. Repeat 6-8 times

Intervals/Hill Sprints/Track Workouts: Mixed work periods from intense effort to low/moderate effort.

Example: Hill sprint that takes 60-90 seconds to complete, then walking or easy jog to start line. Repeat 8-12 times.

Tabata: High intensity working set for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeated for 8-12 sets.

Example: Overhead kettlebell swings for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat 8-12 times.

Try implementing these strategies and feel free to email me at joe@hybridathlete.org for additional workouts.

You can get more info from my free download here: http://www.racedaydomination.com/free-download/

Here is a bodyweight workout to get you started!

Warm-up:

Jog@ 2-5 minutes

Lunge @25 yards

Reverse Lunge @ 25 yards Walking

Broad Jump @ 25 yards

Training:

2 Round

50x Step-up (each leg, add weight vest or resistance if possible)

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

3 Rounds @ 50 yards each movement

Bear Crawl

75% Sprint

Plank Crawl

Walking Lunge

Bounding Jump Squats

Do Work and let me know if you have any questions!

Joe Vennare
    Hybrid Athlete and Race Day Domination
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Delosso farms is close to me lol

Definitely train your upper body, be able to do pullups. And running of course, I don't think there are hills there but you want to make sure to have strong legs to make it through the mud.

you'd think I have better advice seeing as how I've done tough mudder, but nope haha.

edit: oops, assisted in the revival of an old thread.