Do I really have to work out to lose weight?

Options
Hello,

Just curious if working out is mandatory to lose weight, or if it all comes down to calories burned over calories taken in? I hate working out, barely have time and no energy (narcolepsy). When I work out, I'm not giving it my all because I'm always so tired. Basically, I want to know if I can lose weight by just eating the right stuff and eating less calories?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can still lose weight by eating less calories than you burn off.

But you'll look a lot better in the end if you work out as well.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to workout.
  • IrshRnr56
    IrshRnr56 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without working out. The exercise gives me more energy. Have you had your thyroid levels checked to make sure you're not hypothyroid? Having low levels of thyroid hormones can make you sleepy, depressed, chilly and loss of hair and concentration.
    It might be worth looking into. Good luck!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Not only that but weight management in the future will be much easier with an elevated resting metabolic rate thanks to an increase in lean body mass (assuming you strength train). By not exercising, strength training in particular, you will be incapable of maintaining lean body mass as you age. Thus, you'll constantly be reducing calories just to maintain weight meaning far less flexibility in food choices.

You have to ask yourself how you wish to live in the future, not just in terms of losing weight. Do you want to eat like a bird or a human the rest of your life?
  • laurwillbelovely
    Options
    This is completely anecdotal, but my experience has been that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise (only my experience!).

I'm a 169cm (5.6) female and about 63ish kilograms (about 138), and it would also depend on metabolism etc...but....
    When I was heavily working out (600-1500 calories burned in a session) I became so hungry that I found myself eating a lot and neither losing nor gaining. I was stuck for so long that nothing happened. Plenty of people are completely different though and their workouts have been the "thing" that has helped.

For me though, now, I exercise moderately and eat a lot less and am really happy with the result, also I've changed the workouts so they are not "punishment for eating" , but things I really genuinely love doing (bike riding in the country, vinyasa yoga, pilates, dancing and the gym too), and the work I do means I don't get saggy skin or look "skinny fat"...

just a thought! :)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You can do it with diet alone.
    No, you don't have to work out.
    It will take longer.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    you dont have to but try to workout in the am if you can. it boosts my energy level thru the day.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Nope, weight loss has to do primarily with diet. However if you want to improve your body composition (look slimmer while weighing more b/c of muscle tone), feel better (cardio), etc, then its best to have even a small exercise routine thrown in there.
  • talikaveronica
    Options
    No but think about this...for every pound of muscle you gain, you burn an extra ~50 cals a day by doing nothing!
  • ChubbyBunny212
    ChubbyBunny212 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't work out at all and I've lost 13 pounds in just 35 days.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I didn't work out at all for the first 50 pounds. Then I started to see how I needed to work on getting fit instead of just thinner. You don't need to work out to lose weight, but you do to be fit.
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Just curious if working out is mandatory to lose weight, or if it all comes down to calories burned over calories taken in? I hate working out, barely have time and no energy (narcolepsy). When I work out, I'm not giving it my all because I'm always so tired. Basically, I want to know if I can lose weight by just eating the right stuff and eating less calories?

• nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are eating very poorly, too many carbs too much sugar. too much sodium, not enough fiber, protein or potassium.there are 24 hours in a day. you only sleep about 8 hours, that gives you 16 hours. subtract the hours that you work from 16 it will show you how much time in a day you have to work out.. you will never have energy if you don't eat the right stuff. also dehydration will zap your energy. try to get your water up to the recommended 8 a day at least. make sure you eat a snack a half hour before you work out. or you will continue to hate exercise. i learned that the hard way. i have to eat high fiber and protein before a work out, then i can get an hour in, if i don't i'm pushing 17 minutes. tou can lose weight by less calories, but it will take forever.
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    i lost most of my weight not working out.... however, i now workout 5-6days per week & even though the scales have barely budged, my body shape has changed, i hve muscle & my measurements are decreasing. its not an essentail part of losing the weight, but it has definatly made me feel SO much better about myself! good luck on your journey :)
  • kaylabrianna
    Options
    80% diet, 20% exercise.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hello,

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

You need to workout to keep your body healthy. You need to eat in a way that makes you feel strong. Calories are all that matter for weight loss, but the calorie budget is precious and you will learn that you want calories to count for something if you want to be healthy and strong and feel good. Once you get used to eating healthy it tastes good and makes you feel good.

You need to workout to make your body pretty when the fat is gone. Losing fat and having no shape or muscles is just plain ugly.

I would encourage you to start a beginner weight lifting routine. Just 3 days a week. Why?

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Girls, start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories. I learned this the hard way ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I think ppl aren't reading that you have narcolepsy. This is what is making her sleepy all the time. She can't help this. But the simple answer is yes, you can lose weight w/o exercise.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are eating very poorly, too many carbs too much sugar. too much sodium, not enough fiber, protein or potassium.there are 24 hours in a day. you only sleep about 8 hours, that gives you 16 hours. subtract the hours that you work from 16 it will show you how much time in a day you have to work out.. you will never have energy if you don't eat the right stuff. also dehydration will zap your energy. try to get your water up to the recommended 8 a day at least. make sure you eat a snack a half hour before you work out. or you will continue to hate exercise. i learned that the hard way. i have to eat high fiber and protein before a work out, then i can get an hour in, if i don't i'm pushing 17 minutes. tou can lose weight by less calories, but it will take forever.

YES!!!!! EXACTLY!!!! ^^^
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It is NOT calories in-out...It is the quality of the calories in. Also, NO you DO NOT have to have an exercise routine to lose weight. Ask yourself "How FLABBY do I want to be." then design a routine accordingly...OR Not!
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Hey hun, you dont' Have to do anything. Yet I must say that exercise is a great mood and mind medication. The benefits are way more thanweight loss. It doesn't matter what you do even walking further to work parking the car round the courner or getting of the bus earlier etc. It is easy to fit into your day even if you do 15mins. It will give you more energy and help with lots of other things. Plus the bi product is more fat loss not just weight loss..FAT LOSS!!! yeah!! :)
    I would urge you to look at your routine is there 10mins you can spend before and after work. I use dvds at home xxx