Forgetting....

Options
Sometimes I forget where I came from....I've come along way......131 pounds gone. I have a ways to go but I forget to look back. I'm always looking forward ....

I do not see what I have done. I only see my flaws and what else I have to do. I concentrate too much on my slips and I'm really bad at being proud of myself.
I still see the 360 pound girl in the world so I can't recognize myself in the mirror.

Does anyone else go through this?

Replies

• fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I was at my smallest I didn't appreciate it. I focused on my flaws and stressed myself out. This time, I am not going to treat myself like the enemy. Instead, I'm going to be proud of the strong and focused woman I'm becoming.
  • Darcy011
    Darcy011 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people can relate to this...most people have no problem seeing the flaws in themselves, that is the push forward we sometimes rely on. I see in employee reviews the same type of issue, I usually get my employees to review themselves first and then we discuss their own assessment on themselves, often you find people are much harder judge of their own actions and character. I think at times we need to take a step back and look at our accomplishments and be proud of what we have done. It is almost like stepping outside the box, praising oneself, however, it is deserved and something to be proud of...Emancipateurs, you have come so far and overcome so much you should be damn proud and not forget where you started, and you still should see the 360 lbs person in the mirror every time you look because that was you and a part of you will always be that person. It will always be the strength to keep pushing you through to reach your goals. Paris isn't that far away:) and you will finish what you have set your mind to do.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I so feel like this! I don't think u should forget, as it can be used as motivation to push u to where you want to be! But I do understand that it's hard! Sometimes I catch a glimps of myself & don't realise it's me! You should be so proud of what you have accomplished! It's awesome! Don't be so critical of yourself! Your amazing! X
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's a difficult thing! I remind myself to be my own best friend and say the things to myself (in my head) that I would say to a real life friend who I love and care very much about. Realizing I wasn't being a friend to myself in the past and now correcting that little thing has been a huge asset to me in losing weight.
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have just created a Photo Bucket account to starting keeping progress pictures so I can see the changes.

I have a few friends on here who have lost a lot of weight and they do post about struggling to recognise how far they have come.

Your loss is a huge one, and one you should be so proud off. As humans we are never happy, as women we are never EVER happy :flowerforyou:
  • ggof
    ggof Posts: 41
    Options
    totally relate to it .. i still have problems buying new clothes .. i always try on sizes too big and i still see myself as overweight because the flaws are still there just smaller .. i try to like myself anyway but it's not something we're taught, so it's tough ... anyway keep up the good work, u've come a long way .. !!
  • lustrebass
    lustrebass Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I too really relate to this feeling - so far I've lost 17.6lb, and am having a lot of trouble seeing it in the mirror. Some of my clothes are too loose, but some are just now feeling comfortable again (I guess I wore uncomfortable clothes all the time???) The photos are showing some progress, but it's not as dramatic as I would have hoped. I do celebrate the small victories each week (weigh-ins, NSVs), but then it's right back to "well, there's so much more to do!"

Also having a lot of trouble projecting to a future "thin" version of myself. I have set and achieved interim goals for myself, like "get into a good nutrition habit and keep it," or "exercise five times per week," or "lose 15 lb in 3 months". But I have probably another 50 lb to go before I would be in a healthy weight range for my height. I haven't tried to project goals for myself beyond New Year's, because I cannot imagine myself ever reaching those goals... it's just not a concept I can relate to! Its strange - I can see myself eating healthy for the rest of my life, and I can see myself keeping up with exercise 3-5 times per week for the rest of my life, but I can't envision that turning into permanent and lasting weight loss. I just haven't been thin for such a very long time!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I relate entirely. I'll get the odd day when all I can fixate on is my poochy belly, or that my biceps could be bigger, or I end up buying clothes in the wrong size. It seems like the process is quite slow, for me - my brain hasn't caught up. But then there'll be the odd day when I feel on top of the world. Guns blazing.

Congratulations on your loss :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!