How does your mind play games?

Options
Going for my usual walk today in the pouring rain, and started noticing something. I could feel my pants loose on my butt and thought, "Gee, I feel weak right now." Why?
Because I always thought I could take on a bear by whaling on it across the nose with a big stick, or knock someone over, sit on somebody and put them in a headlock. Extra weight meant power especially when I worked out with weights and felt strong.
I still can't run because my knees will never be able to handle it even with the weight off. So... here I am. Mrs. Wimp. Does anyone else start feeling a little insecure when they start losing their extra pounds?:huh:

Replies

• redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Going for my usual walk today in the pouring rain, and started noticing something. I could feel my pants loose on my butt and thought, "Gee, I feel weak right now." Why?
    Because I always thought I could take on a bear by whaling on it across the nose with a big stick, or knock someone over, sit on somebody and put them in a headlock. Extra weight meant power especially when I worked out with weights and felt strong.
    I still can't run because my knees will never be able to handle it even with the weight off. So... here I am. Mrs. Wimp. Does anyone else start feeling a little insecure when they start losing their extra pounds?:huh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I was just saying the other day to my husband that I'm starting to feel "fragile"...a new feeling for me. I feel somehow unsafe that my bones are more exposed. Sounds weird when I type it...glad to know I'm not the only one.

Also, there's fear of being skinny...my mom says things like "make sure you don't turn anorexic." Like there's either heavy unhealthy or too thin unhealthy and no just plain "healthy."
  • srwings
    srwings Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Haven't had that experience yet. If anything losing the weight makes me feel a psychologically whole lot stronger when working out especially when riding hills.
  • princessshaunda
    Options
    I lost a LOT of weight a couple of years ago (250lbs in 1.5 year timeframe) and I felt fragile at fisrt too. I found that strength training really helped. I also went through the issue of everyone suddenly telling I was too skinny which doesn't help you when you are trying to maintain your goal weight. I am far from skinny at 165lbs. Don't worry about what others say in that regard, listen to your body! If you feel healthy and your doctor feels you are healthy then you are healthy! If you feel weak, well, talk to your doc but also try some strength training (pilates really helped me with that).
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Until I was 35, as hard as I tried, I could not put on a bit of fat. Then, slowly, it become effortless. It felt good to finally have a bit of heft, and insulation from the cold. I would look at heavy people, and think, did some day never come when they said "This is big enough for me." It took my doctor to tell me.

Now that my belly is about half of what it was, I feel like people are not thinking that about me anymore.

I do feel much more in control of my body now. I feel like I care about myself more.
  • tdroseler
    Options
    I lost a LOT of weight a couple of years ago (250lbs in 1.5 year timeframe) and I felt fragile at fisrt too. I found that strength training really helped. I also went through the issue of everyone suddenly telling I was too skinny which doesn't help you when you are trying to maintain your goal weight. I am far from skinny at 165lbs. Don't worry about what others say in that regard, listen to your body! If you feel healthy and your doctor feels you are healthy then you are healthy! If you feel weak, well, talk to your doc but also try some strength training (pilates really helped me with that).

umm...one word if i may....

WOW!!!!
    that is so awesome, way to go

so, ok, more than one word. :bigsmile:
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    That's probably not so surprising a feeling. One of the reasons we humans need fat is to protect our organs and cusion our bones. We just don't need so much as some people have. I think... was it Banks posting that he used to have a BFI so low it was life threatening?

Anyway, I think if you lost a lot of weight like that, it would be a very normal feeling. If you are not doing strength training, it might help you feel more physically secure to add some nice healthy muscle.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Self-defense classes. Everyone should take one, except the predators of course. Knowing how to defend yourself will make you feel stronger. It also helps with confidence, which makes you less of a target.
    And hey, it counts as exercise.
    But, yes, I understand your mind games question. I think it happens to everyone, but it's kinda funny when you think about it.