Exercising before breakfast?

Options
My friends and I go to McDonalds every Wednesday it is a tradition and a great way to catch up.

I plan on having breakfast and then going for a run to start the day with my new diet regime that way I have energy to start.

Do you think exercising before I go to breakfast will have any negative effects on me?

Replies

• eskimite
    Options
    I am an AM exerciser...typically wake up at 5:00AM, workout, shower, get dressed, and then eat breakfast at about 7:30AM. I wouldn't be able to eat anything at 5:00AM, b/c my stomach and digestive system do not seem ready to take in anything. I drink water and tea, however. Maybe just eat a couple of crackers or a few nuts before exercising in the morning, if you feel like you need the boost. Good luck!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it becuase I would probably feel faint, but I know a lot of people do it and have no problems. I also wouldn't want to go for a run straight after breakfast on a full stomach. If I were you I'd try going before breakfast, try after, and just what works for you.
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I am up at 5am to workout and I am not hungry yet. If I do decide to eat before my workout I only take in something small but sustainable, such as a banana or piece of wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter. If you eat a pretty heavy meal I suggest waiting at least an hour before you go for a run.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. I have a coffee, then start my day, drinking coffee sporadically through till five, have my lunch somewhere in the middle, But never have breakfast. But then, I've not had breakfast since I was in infant school and my gramma made me pink porrige, so my body is used to not having breakfast. Other people really cannot work out before breakfast, their bodies are used to having it and require it. Really, only your body can tell you if it's ok to work out before. Try it and see.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I never eat any breakfast before I train in the mornings, whether that's weights or running.

I just have a black coffe.

I always eat afterwards and drink more coffee.
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    I always exercise before breakfast. Usually just have coffee. After my walk I usually have oatmeal and fruit.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    NO I exercise before breakfast, otherwise i feel sick.I feel I can't a better workout in.
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wake up, drink a glass of water, then I'm out the door for my jog. Then I come home shower, eat, then off to work.
    I heard if you exercise before you eat that your body will burn more fat because any carbs you have in your system are at minimal because you used them while sleeping. Then you your body's main fuel system is mostly by burning fat during your exercise.
  • eviablue
    eviablue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I regularly exercise in the morning - you get more continued calorie burn. I do find that I perform better if I eat something easy to digest first though. I will usually eat a small banana, this gives me enough to do an hour of cardio (either fast walking or cycling). Then I come home and shower and then eat bircher muesli with yoghurt and a coffee.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i pretty much always exercise before i eat simply because i am not generally hungry in the morning, i tend to get hungry for the first time around lunch time. i have not seen any negative effects from it as of yet.