Personal trainer, worked too hard?

Options
1a1a
1a1a Posts: 762 Member
I had a session with a pt yesterday, strength focused.....after about 20 minutes of non stop movement my heart rate was definitely maxing out and I started to feel like I couldn't breathe/light headed.

My two questions are - is this over kill? And the not being able to breath thing, which seems localised to my throat. Is that asthma? Or just working Too hard? (As far as I know I've never had asthma but I suspect my lung capacity is a little bit average.).

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Look up, "lactic threshold."
  • dmg16duke
    dmg16duke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You need to say something. You are paying your PT to work you hard, and you would be disappointed if they didn't do their job. That said, they can't possibly know what you are feeling unless you tell them. If you are having trouble breathing, or you need a few seconds to catch your breath, let them know that. Over time, you will be able to build up greater endurance and the same exercises won't tax you in the same way.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Might be exercise induced asthma too....I know that's almost exactly how I felt when I would get a flare up. Only time I ever get it is when I am pushing myself on cardio.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I NEVER work well with personal trainers. I have no idea if you worked too hard, but if what you described happened to me, I'd say "Whoa mother****er! Need you to calm down." I like controlling my own effort levels.

Note: I am a bit oppositional.
  • redstar7
    redstar7 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You should definitely say something! My personal trainer makes sure that my heart rate comes down a little bit before moving on to the next thing. It shouldn't come down to normal level, but it she says it should be about a "5" before we move on.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    That said, they can't possibly know what you are feeling unless you tell them. If you are having trouble breathing, or you need a few seconds to catch your breath, let them know that.

this.

they aren't mind readers. give them feedback on how the exercises are making you feel.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Worked too hard.

Sounds more like a drill sergeant than a personal trainer. Anyone can work you to the point of passing out. A PT should be showing you tecnique, tailoring your workout to suit your fitness level and monitoring your progress against it. There's room in training regimes for working yourself to the absolute limit but it should be a very small portion of the overall regime.

Change the PT.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Every time I've ever worked with a PT it was the same thing. Once I was sore for a week and a half---like, can't walk, move, sleep sore.

The unfortunate thing is that every time I've worked with one, I HAVE told them I needed a break or couldn't push like they were asking. They ignored this and said they thought I could do better. One was trying to get me to walk on the treadmill at a pace I usually run at (I'm very short). I told him I usually run at that pace, and he said to just keep walking. I think some PTs look at an overweight person and think they're just lazy.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    My general thought is that I don't think he/she was working you too hard. But I'm kinda hardcore about this stuff. If I haven't thrown up or passed out I'm not quitting.

That said.....

* if you didn't tell him/her what you were feeling they have no way of knowing what's going on inside your body. You have to communicate with them and then they can adapt the program if need be.

* most people stop well short of what they are capable of doing safely. they have more reps in them, more speed, more laps, more lift. the trainers job is to push you to get more. so they aren't going to stop just because it's looking hard for you. that's another reason you and your trainer need to communicate *in both directions* so that you two are on the same page. working out should be safe, fun, and hard.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    get comfortable being uncomfortable. if you've never pushed yourself before then you have no idea what your limits are.

the first time is always the hardest.i say stick with it.

i'm also pretty hardcore with my workouts and always push myself past the point of comfort. i've been working out for 20+ years like that and have yet to pass out or die. i also used to have exercise induced asthma