Overweight doing p90x or insanity

Options
I see a lot of people on here that are doing p90x but they seem already fit. My question is are there any of you out there that are really overweight that have done or tried p90x or insanity? I have it collecting dust in my basement and need to kick start a new routine but don't know if it will be too intense.

Replies

• Charie1981
    Charie1981 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am doing p90x and I am not fit over weight infact and trying to get it the pounds off. I've been doing it for 6 weeks now and lost 9 lbs you can do it. It maybe hard at first but you get stronger as you move along.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Insanity is kicking my over weight *kitten* right now, and the first week was harsh. The toughest stuff I find is when they want me to jump. My balance is horrid for it and it can be tricky. But as I have progressed I find that I'm getting better at it and maybe I'm not getting in a bunch of them everytime, I am doing better.

Do the fitness test, try the first week, prove to yourself if you are capable of it right now. If you are not, no worries, find something that isn't so intense and build up to it.
  • Heavyd2g
    Heavyd2g Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am in the 'Obese' range. I'm doing insanity at the moment, it hurts, a lot. Only just done my first day yesterday so I hope it will get easier as the weeks go on.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I started doing P90X when I was pretty physically fit (mainly cardiovascularly) and it was BRUTAL the first several weeks. I remember watching my fiancé doing the chest and back workout and saying "no. This is not going to work. I can't even do 10 pushups on my knees and you're saying I have to do 12 sets of 20???? Not happening."

But I tried it anyway. Yes, the first time I struggled through each set only doing a handful of pushups on my knees - but I wrote down how many I did and the next time I did the workout I pushed to get a couple more. Now I'm doing 20+ in almost every exercise on my feet!!!!!

I may not be overweight, but I know from personal experience that modifying the workouts to your ability level works - and you will get better EVERY time. There are several very inspiring friends on my list who were overweight when starting the program - and they're in MUCH better shape than me.

It's going to be difficult - but if you push play every day you WILL see results, I promise :D

If you want motivation, feel free to friend me. I'm running P90X and insanity at the same time right now and I refuse to miss a workout :) I'd love to help push you and offer advice/motivation!
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am in the 'Obese' range. I'm doing insanity at the moment, it hurts, a lot. Only just done my first day yesterday so I hope it will get easier as the weeks go on.

It does!!! I was puking the first couple times I did insanity - but even after a couple days it got easier (even though I'm still nowhere near being able to keep up with them!!)
  • cjdembow
    cjdembow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    38 year old female started p90x 37 days ago. Have lost 27 pounds! EVERYTHING hurts but it is worth it. I have 21 pounds to go to reach my goal.

It is getting easier over time. I keep pushing play and logging everything.

I have to have a minor surgery on my leg on Friday (not p90x related) and I am hoping I can pick up where I left off after my 2 week recovery period.

I say go for it!
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it but have seem my Hubby do it. I am starting with Th 30 day shred first and then I may try it...I am a little scared! But I am sure it may be hard at first but only do what you can do and then work your way up and you will be fine!
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Jillian's 30 day shred before doing P90X or Insanity. It's less than $10 in Walmart. I just made it to level 3 and holy boot camp hard compared to level 1 and 2. I think it's the perfect progression for you to get a base going for 30 days before starting P90X. Good luck!!!
  • snipalicous
    Options
    I am on the last week of insanity.....a huge accomplishment for me! I started over weight and very out of shape. It was very difficult at first but I didnt stop pushing myself to complete the workout. my results have been amazing! I am so glad I decided to do insanity, even though I have a love /hate relationship with it. I still have to take more breaks during the workout then the ppl on the video but my endurance has improved greatly. The beggining sucks *kitten* but it does get easier as you build up your endurance. If you can commit to doing the full 60 days, go for it!! You will not be dissapointed but dont expect a miracle over night. Take before and after pics so you can see the difference.