Could I have diabetes???

Options
Ok so, I know it's extremely possible for me to have developed Type 2 diabetes, since I'm considerably overweight and have lived a mostly sedentary lifestyle up until about 2 months ago. Today I went to lunch with some co-workers and I ordered some crawfish pasta (not exactly low cal, but that's a different issue). About an hour after lunch, I developed a terrible headache and realized that pretty much every time I go out to eat somewhere, I end up with a headache. After some Google research, it seems that headaches after eating too much starch/sugar is a sign of diabetes. Does anyone have any real experince with this? If so, what was your next step as far as doctor's appointments or diet changes? I'm a little nervous about this obviously, but better safe, than sorry right?

Replies

• rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    Make an appt with your Dr. He is the only one who should diagnois you....Good Luck,,, and if you are diabetic, you can manage it, just by doing what you are already doing...eating right and excercising!
  • jessifreehugs
    jessifreehugs Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I guess I should have titled my topic "How did you figure out you had diabetes?" I guess I'm just looking for other people's experiences, so I can get some insight before I go running to the doctor's office.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I think since you are in a risk group you should make an appointment with your DR. Type 2 diabetes can be prevented with diet/exercise. You may be in the pre-diabetic stage where prevention is key. I know of two people who were diagnosed at the same time. One listened to the DR and made changes and has avoided diabetes/treatment. The other takes has to check her glucose level/take meds daily. Please make the appointment, it's best to find out sooner and start treatment.:flowerforyou:
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Yeah, be careful not to self diagnose or jump to conclusions. It could even be food allergies. Just me careful to eat healthy balanced meals and try to eat something every 2-3 hours to keep your blood sugar from spiking and that should help. Also, get plenty of water. I would make a dr. appointment and discuss all of your symptoms.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    You seem young to have developed type II DM at this point in your life...most people develop it in their 40's and 50's...

So, while I wouldn't minimize it...you should definately see an MD for a fasting blood sugar and have your lipids checked as well...wondering if sodium would be a factor for headaches, since restaurants use so much of it and that's when the HAs occur
  • Solandra
    Options
    Your best bet is to make an appointment with your primary care physician and go explain what's going on and ask them to test your blood sugar. They'll do a finger stick to determine your current blood sugar levels and take some blood for an A1C blood sugar test which will show what your sugar's been like over time.

My husband is a diabetic, and I've found that the diabetes "diets" and Weight Watchers-style diets, which focus on balance and keeping things steady, are almost identical. If you make any changes prior to going to the doctor, I'd go in that direction. Remember, they'll be able to tell if it's been out of whack over the past few months, so even if you're able to control it with diet and have normal levels when you go in, you will have an answer. Most diabetics start with a diet or an oral medication, NOT with insulin. Remember, it's not death sentence, just a wake-up call telling you there's something out of whack.

In short, my recommendation as the wife of a diabetic husband: See your doctor. Start going towards a Weight Watchers-style diet, it can't hurt and may help.

Don't panic! And remember, being overweight is only ONE of the risk factors. A good friend of ours was recently diagnosed, and she's not actually overweight - she just drank a case of soda a day for several years. That kind of abuse can wear a body out!
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    tons of my family members have diabetes. headaches is only one symptom.
    are you incredibly thirsty and peeing all the time? that is another sign.
    ultimately, you need to get to a dr and have a blood test done. don't walk....run if you are concerned. diabetes is a MAJOR disease, that you don't want to leave untreated.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You seem young to have developed type II DM at this point in your life...most people develop it in their 40's and 50's...

This isn't really true anymore. There are children being diagnosed with type II diabetes now. I'm only 31 and my doctor keeps a close eye on my because of my weight and family history.

IMO, you should go if your doctor hasn't tested you in the past year. Don't risk it. Just go.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Headaches can be from a lot of things--MSG for example tends to give people one if they are sensitive to it.

The question is are you having any other symptoms? Are you losing or gaining weight without meaning to. Are you always hungry? Always thirsty and peeing all the time? (gallons and gallons of water) I would probably just check with your doctor if you are concerned, they can do a simple blood test called the Hemoglobin A1c which says what your average blood sugar has been over the last 3 months. Normal would be around a 5, 6 is a high normal with anything higher being considered diabetic. The nice thing about diabetes is if you manage it you won't have ill effects--i.e. watching carb intake and checking sugars

I had gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy) which puts me at greater risk later in life to develop diabetes officially later in life. That is why I am here. I didn't really have any symptoms, but I could feel my blood sugar being higher just by being a little light-headed. Everyone is different. But if you are concerned get checked, the sooner you know the better.

But it could be just an allergy to some type of food (gluten intolerance, crowded restaurants:bigsmile: )

The best thing is to explain what you have noticed and get checked.. Good luck!:smile::flowerforyou:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options

This isn't really true anymore. There are children being diagnosed with type II diabetes now. I'm only 31 and my doctor keeps a close eye on my because of my weight and family history.

IMO, you should go if your doctor hasn't tested you in the past year. Don't risk it. Just go.

I understand that...I am trying not have her panic...yes, I understand the epidemic...I'm a nurse
  • jessifreehugs
    Options
    ultimately, you need to get to a dr and have a blood test done. don't walk....run if you are concerned. diabetes is a MAJOR disease, that you don't want to leave untreated.

Ok so everyone seems to be in agreement that I should go ahead and make the doctor's appointment. I'll add that to my to-do-list and hopefully get some answers. I'm definitely not super thirsty or going to the bathroom all the time, so that makes me feel better at least.
  • jessifreehugs
    Options
    Headaches can be from a lot of things--MSG for example tends to give people one if they are sensitive to it.

The question is are you having any other symptoms? Are you losing or gaining weight without meaning to. Are you always hungry? Always thirsty and peeing all the time? (gallons and gallons of water) I would probably just check with your doctor if you are concerned, they can do a simple blood test called the Hemoglobin A1c which says what your average blood sugar has been over the last 3 months. Normal would be around a 5, 6 is a high normal with anything higher being considered diabetic. The nice thing about diabetes is if you manage it you won't have ill effects--i.e. watching carb intake and checking sugars

I had gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy) which puts me at greater risk later in life to develop diabetes officially later in life. That is why I am here. I didn't really have any symptoms, but I could feel my blood sugar being higher just by being a little light-headed. Everyone is different. But if you are concerned get checked, the sooner you know the better.

But it could be just an allergy to some type of food (gluten intolerance, crowded restaurants:bigsmile: )

The best thing is to explain what you have noticed and get checked.. Good luck!:smile::flowerforyou:

I think I will be making an appointment anyways, just to be safe. I'm not abnormally thirsty or hungry. The only weird thing I get is the headaches really, and again that only happens when I go out to eat somewhere. This could also be because I don't drink sodas or eat unhealthy foods. I tend to stick with whole grains and nix anything high fat. We'll see what happens. Thanks for your advice!
  • Kellee76
    Options

Totally agree. Also, along with severe thirst and frequent urination is rapid weight loss and a bunch of other symptoms. Headache by itself is probably not your strongest indicator of diabetes but, if you think you have symptoms, go get checked right away. My mom died way too young as a direct result from diabetes--she slipped into a coma from high blood sugar and never woke up. Don't fool around.

Even if you go to the doctor and it's determined that you don't have diabetes, people are developing it younger and younger, these days. If you're not getting annual check-ups and blood work done, you need to do that. High blood pressure wreaks havoc on your body too and there are usually few to no symptoms to indicate it.

Good luck and good health to you.
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem since September... My doctor doesn't think it is diabetes but has no clue what is going on. I have found that when I start to get a headache if I go for a brisk walk or a short jog it really helps bring the pain to a level that I can handle better. Sorry you are having headaches and I feel your pain. Thank you for posting this I am also learning a lot from it.
  • jessifreehugs
    Options
    I have had the same problem since September... My doctor doesn't think it is diabetes but has no clue what is going on. I have found that when I start to get a headache if I go for a brisk walk or a short jog it really helps bring the pain to a level that I can handle better. Sorry you are having headaches and I feel your pain. Thank you for posting this I am also learning a lot from it.

Oh, I'm so glad you posted! Knowing someone else has the same thing makes me less freaked out. I'm going to try the brisk walk thing and see what that does :wink:
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Make an appt with your Dr. He is the only one who should diagnois you....Good Luck,,, and if you are diabetic, you can manage it, just by doing what you are already doing...eating right and excercising!

Definitely see your dr. and not to get off topic but Oh God! Rick Springfield......I am soooooooooooo having a flashback....I was 9 and had his poster from when he did the movie Hard to Hold on my wall. Thinking bout it...he's my Pops age!
  • viliberty
    Options
    You said you want our individual experiences, so here goes: I was formally diagnosed with diabetes in 2003. Some time berore that at a routine Dr. appointment my blood sugars were a little high and was told I should watch the sugar, but no real instructions, so I didn't pay too much attention .

Next time I went (several months or more later) it was still up. Dr. said to come back in three months and check again. I did, it was. That's when I was diagnosed with Type 2. I think if I had paid more attention in the beginning I may have avoided or reversed it.

Next step was ten one-on-one classes with a nutritionist. I learned a lot! I went with the American Diabetes Association exchange list, did the cardio-glide for an hour, recumbent bike for an hour and walked for an hour every day. This brought all my numbers down and I lost a lot of weight. I actually enjoyed all this and felt good about myself. I even cut up all my large polyester pants and sewed them into what I called my "I'll never be fat again" quilt.

Next chapter, I got tired of all the exercising and planning and preparing meals. (This is called honeymoon's over) Yep, gained weight back, numbers went up. I put my "I'll never be fat again quilt" away unfinished.

I came to my senses and got back on track. It is so much easier this time with the hellp of MFP and the encouragement of friends. I still have weight to lose, but I am feeling so much better with the other things in control. I have to watch carbs carefully to keep my glucose in control. I have to watch protein because diabetics are at risk of kidney problems. I need to watch my iron, cholesterol, etc. So you can see how this site is important for all this keeping track. It was a real pain when I was trying to do it with books and written records.

I still don't take insulin. Just a low dose metformin. My plan is to get completely to healthy weight. And I am looking forward to finishing my quilt (LOL).

So.....the most important thing for you now it to get the testing done. Do all you can to prevent developing diabetes. That is keep your weight in control and develop a meal plan that will work for you. Don't make the mistake I did and put it off.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I was 30 when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. There are children as young as 10 years old in the news for being diagnosed with type 2 due to obesity issues, so it's not so much about age anymore. I was about 220 pounds when I was diagnosed-this disease doesn't care so much about what you weigh, lol...i've got some friends who are well in the 300's that do not suffer from it. Headaches were not one of the things I suffered from though. As you were already told, extreme thirst, frequent urination, and etc. are good clear symptoms. Women tend to have other uncomfortable physical symptoms as well. I would lean towards a food allergy if you aren't having a number of symptoms that point towards diabetes. A friend of mine has gluten sensitivity and she gets bad headaches after she eats certain things...wheat gluten is a major trigger. See a doc and maybe check your food journal to see if there is a certain thing that might be setting you off. Good luck!
  • jessifreehugs
    Options
    I was 30 when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. There are children as young as 10 years old in the news for being diagnosed with type 2 due to obesity issues, so it's not so much about age anymore. I was about 220 pounds when I was diagnosed-this disease doesn't care so much about what you weigh, lol...i've got some friends who are well in the 300's that do not suffer from it. Headaches were not one of the things I suffered from though. As you were already told, extreme thirst, frequent urination, and etc. are good clear symptoms. Women tend to have other uncomfortable physical symptoms as well. I would lean towards a food allergy if you aren't having a number of symptoms that point towards diabetes. A friend of mine has gluten sensitivity and she gets bad headaches after she eats certain things...wheat gluten is a major trigger. See a doc and maybe check your food journal to see if there is a certain thing that might be setting you off. Good luck!

Ok cool, I'm thinking it might be food allergy too after everything I'm reading from yall. Thanks everyone for the imput and for sharing your personal experiences! I am so appreciative of the resources and support that everyone on MFP has shared with me these last few months!
  • summer6102
    Options
    I had to go ahead with the test and I was good. And they control it with diet and excersise and a pill. Belive me I was scared all my family has it including my mom. Thats why I got on the band wagon of losing weight. if you are it can be reversed so keep up all the great work! Another thing is I would eat then get headaches it turned out that I had high blood pressure if so track ur sodium on here! Good Luck hun!