::RUNNERS:: Need Advice for Half Marathon

Options
This past weekend was the worst training run I've had thus far. It was supposed to be my 12 miles. I did complete it, but we had a family emergency the night before, didn't sleep well, was congested from allergies/cold, it was muggy/hot. Since I was congested I wasn't breathing correctly and got side stitches that slowed me down to complete stops (I was able to push through them for the most part) So....with my half marathon race on 11/10 I really don't want this to be my last memory of a long distance training run. I think I'm far enough out where I can do "over" the 12 miles this weekend and then start to taper, but wanted to ask opinions from the running community. I wasn't sore and didn't have muscle fatigue after the run because it I had to stop so much I'm not sure how much of a "run" it was considered. I know that bad training runs happen and they are needed to help you know all the things you don't want to do on race day so it was a learning experience, but I feel like I would benefit from another long run. Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Tapering for a half marathon is usually two weeks, so you have plenty of time. You can do 12 this week, or do 8 this week and 11 or 12 next week and still have a nice two week taper.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Perfect!!!!! Thank you!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Honey, you know not every run is beautiful. I was supposed to do 12 on Sunday, but my feet were literally frozen and I've got a sinus infection. I only did 9. And it was outright ugly. All the training manuals say that you only need to do 10 miles for your longest run before a half--that adreneline from actually being there will carry you the additional 5K. You've got this. You've been training like a mad woman, and you're gonna rock the crap out of this half! :smooched:
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Is tapering for a half even necessary? I'm just wondering because I've read that it isn't. I guess it would depend on your fitness level?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I totally think you have enough time as well. I also think you'd be fine without it.
  • lololady83
    lololady83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They are called training runs for a reason, hopefully we get all the bugs out before race day. Most people don't taper for half marathons, but I wouldn't feel too bad about missing some workouts to get rest and get healthy since you've put all your miles in. What is important is that you got the time in on your feet despite the few minor setbacks during the run. I've had 1 marathon training run where I had to stop at the bathroom twice, ducked behind a bush, and threw up at starbucks after. My marathon time turned out to be much better than I thought it would be.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Is tapering for a half even necessary? I'm just wondering because I've read that it isn't. I guess it would depend on your fitness level?

Necessary to finish, no. Necessary for optimum performance, yes.
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    Honey, you know not every run is beautiful. I was supposed to do 12 on Sunday, but my feet were literally frozen and I've got a sinus infection. I only did 9. And it was outright ugly. All the training manuals say that you only need to do 10 miles for your longest run before a half--that adreneline from actually being there will carry you the additional 5K. You've got this. You've been training like a mad woman, and you're gonna rock the crap out of this half! :smooched:

I WUV YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know that its more of a mental thing though...the way I calm myself down before race days is to say to myself I've done this before and rocked it...no big deal now. So I'm gonna shoot for a redo, but if I feel like it sucks once I get out there I'll do 8. I need to also try out some different fueling sources. My fueling sources failed me big time this past weekend. So I want to experiment with GU.
  • christinehetz80
    Options

Necessary to finish, no. Necessary for optimum performance, yes.

I just read an article on runners world about this after posting the topic and thats exactly what it says. Thank you all for the advice I really really really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

I WUV YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know that its more of a mental thing though...the way I calm myself down before race days is to say to myself I've done this before and rocked it...no big deal now. So I'm gonna shoot for a redo, but if I feel like it sucks once I get out there I'll do 8. I need to also try out some different fueling sources. My fueling sources failed me big time this past weekend. So I want to experiment with GU.

Thanks for reminding me! I have some chews and gels, but I haven't tried them yet. I don't eat/drink anything before or during a run. Even my 11-miler was on empty!