strengthening grip for weight training - advice needed

Options
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to strengthen my grip so that I can complete some of the weight training exercises I am doing. The core issue is that my hand is cramping or has too much pain to complete the full exercise at times. The targeted muscle is fine - the hand is not.
I do have a thyroid issue but have been on medication for years.

Any suggestions are welcome on how to overcome this.
Thanks

Replies

• cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I too have a weak grip so I asked a trainer at my gym and he advised famers walk with the heaviest kettle bells - just take a heavy kettle bell in each hand, let your arms drop naturally by your sides and walk with them - just 30 seconds to start with - then up it to 1 minute, then 2 minutes.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    IMO, pull ups are one of the best exercises you can do to strengthen your grip.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Farmer's carry
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I too have a weak grip so I asked a trainer at my gym and he advised famers walk with the heaviest kettle bells - just take a heavy kettle bell in each hand, let your arms drop naturally by your sides and walk with them - just 30 seconds to start with - then up it to 1 minute, then 2 minutes.

Just remember not to leg your arms "dangle." You need to keep your shoulders up and your arms slightly bend, otherwise you will put serious stresses on your joints, ligaments, tendons, etc. Your muscles should be holding up the kettle bells.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    have you tried using straps? i don't use them anymore but getting started i used them a ton for a lot of the heavy, pulling exercises. chins, rows, deads, and the like.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    the physiotherapist* prescribed some putty stuff for my hubby - made a massive difference to his grip strength just by squeezing it for 20mins a day. you can get different strength putty, or I guess make your own (like playdoh) or just use clay/blutac or a stress ball!

*hubby has severe arthritis amongst other disabilities and had the grip of an average 93 year old when he turned 40. 2 years on, he has the grip of a 64 year old, so good progress, but definitely medical need..... doubt you could get physio scripts for "normally weak" gip
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I as having that problem, that and forearm fatigue, grips and forarms were giving out before my back so my trainer recommended versa grip pro's! They have been a life saver and i can now do more weight and more reps. You can get them on amazon for about 55 dollars.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options

Unfortunately this was one of the exercises that I was not successful with.:sad:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Unfortunately this was one of the exercises that I was not successful with.:sad:

All of the grip strengthing benefits of pullups can be had by hanging from the pullup bar, the pulling up motion does very little more for your grip. If you are hanging from the pullup bar you can get an ab workout at the same time by doing knee raises/holds or leg raises/holds.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Play with play dough or silly putty.
    stress ball
    Those meditation balls that make the tone, where you move them around in circles in your hand (don't remember what they're called sorry)
    Music supply stores have squeeze devices for just such purposes if you feel the need to buy something more costly
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    climbing, you'll have an iron grip in no time, or failing that a grip board/hanging board, most gyms have something of the sort. Failing that hang from a bar like others have suggested, only vary the kind of grip you are using. Work up to hanging from your fingers alone... it'll take a while.
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my wrists and hands so really appreciate the suggestions. It can be frustrating.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I used to race motorbikes and needed a strong grip without excessive bulk/weight so copied this exercise from the late/great Barry Sheene....
    Get a 2 foot length of pipe, make a hole through it, thread enough cord through it to reach the floor from shoulder height and attach a weight. 5 pounds perhaps to start?

Hold pipe out in front of you at arms length in both hands (overhand grip). Wind the pipe to raise and lower the weight slowly and smoothly. Repeat as required. Increase weight as grip improves.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Farmers walk is one. Another one is holding two 20 kg plates together with both hands and rotating them. That's a really good one. Also for the forearms you can do a bicep curl just reverse the grip on them. That will help your grip too.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options

All of the grip strengthing benefits of pullups can be had by hanging from the pullup bar, the pulling up motion does very little more for your grip. If you are hanging from the pullup bar you can get an ab workout at the same time by doing knee raises/holds or leg raises/holds.

This is what I've been doing because I have a weak grip, tender/delicate hands and I can't actually do a pull up. I hang from the bar (we hung one on a doorframe in our house) and do hanging leg lifts (but I really just raise my knees because my core isn't strong enough to keep my legs straight yet).
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This idea probably won't be much help but I am (timidly) putting it forth anyway. Instead of working out with free weights, I work out on the weight lifting machines. Most of them don't require much gripping ability at all.

I know, I know, most people who lift free weights are pretty dedicated to that and don't like the machines. But I lke them, and I just thought I'd throw the idea out in case it appeals to you.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    A big thanks to everyone for the suggestions and your experiences. I have a lot to go on now and appreciate the feedback and knowledge!
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options

^^^^This^^^^
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. I have horrible grip as well.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    use straps for heavy lifting