Brr! Running in the cold

Options
Hi All! I started training in the warmer weather for running. I ran last night in the colder weather and I dont know If im sick or just hurting. I have body aches, I feel like a truck hit me. running nose, cough, upset stomach. Ok the more I write this the more I probably am sick... but running in colder weather is no joke!!!

Does anyone have any tips? I did warm up but I felt more ready to run after my mile and a half.

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I started training in the warmer weather for running. I ran last night in the colder weather and I dont know If im sick or just hurting. I have body aches, I feel like a truck hit me. running nose, cough, upset stomach. Ok the more I write this the more I probably am sick... but running in colder weather is no joke!!!

Does anyone have any tips? I did warm up but I felt more ready to run after my mile and a half.

Are you sure your aches, pains, runny nose etc is due to your run the previous day? It sounds very much like you have a cold coming on, I don't think you would have all those symptoms the next day if it were just due to running.

See how it develops and if it is a cold, think seriously about whether you train on it, as it can be dangerous.

Hope you recover asap.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a cold or the flu coming on. If anything running in cooler weather is usually less physically taxing than running in the heat.

Having said that "cold" is a subjective term what I consider mild weather would probably be very cold for someone from a southern climate. If you plan on running all winter (and I don't know where you're located so I have no idea what your winters are like) you will need to get the right gear. Think in terms of layers, you always want to feel a little chilly at the beginning of a run because you will warm up. It was about -15°C when my profile picture was taken and you can see perspiration soaking through my jacket.

As to your current symptoms I'd say it sounds like a good day to stay in bed, drink plenty of fluids and take something to relieve the fever & aches/pains (and play it by ear in terms of training - if you have a chest cold no running)
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    You're right! I ran last night out in the cold and wasn't sure if I was just freezing or sweating when I was finished. Turns out it was a bunch of both ;)
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    LOL thanks guys! i have my soup and ginger ale, and water on hand. should i invest in cold weather running gear?
  • mary_kate23
    Options
    i just got over the flu that felt like that - check with your Primary Care Doc.

and if you're convinced that it's just the colder run, i highly suggest investing in cold weather gear. i love my UA cold gear. just make sure it's cold enough to wear it.. because if it's not cold enough, and your body starts to heat up, you'll get too hot!
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I recommend dressing for 20 degrees more than you are running. If you aren't acclimated to the temperature then your immune system might take a small hit from the change in temp. I always drink some oj to give my immune system a boost the night or day before I run in the cold. If you are warming up for your run, make sure you warm up in the same climate your running in, don't stay inside to stretch. Also, it takes longer to warm up in the cold, obviously, so start slow.
  • johnsongs1
    johnsongs1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you live. But as south as Tennessee, I would invest.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Here is something someone else posted to help you figure out how to dress:

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear

Or, alternately, one of my running friends at work suggested dressing for 20 degrees F warmer than it actually is. Still another said to dress for mile 2--if you're warm enough during mile 1 you are going to end up getting too warm by the end.

I find that my nose runs a little more in cold weather, and it takes a little getting used to breathing the colder air, but I also ended up running a little quicker the other day when it was 38 F when I went out to run.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • SL22268
    SL22268 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Or, alternately, one of my running friends at work suggested dressing for 20 degrees F warmer than it actually is. Still another said to dress for mile 2--if you're warm enough during mile 1 you are going to end up getting too warm by the end.

I find that my nose runs a little more in cold weather, and it takes a little getting used to breathing the colder air, but I also ended up running a little quicker the other day when it was 38 F when I went out to run.

Awesome info - thanks!!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    should i invest in cold weather running gear?

Yes you should! I love Under Armour so I have mostly their stuff, I just got a pair of running gloves and used them for the first time last night, I loved them! I also have a hat for running. If you go to pretty much any website for running clothes, it'll tell you what you might need but it depends where you are. I'm in MA so I need wearmer things than say someone in FL. My next time to Under Armour, I'll be getting a few of their ColdGear fitted longsleeve shirts.

These are the closest from their website for the gloves I got: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens-liner-glove/pid1220694-001

and I think this is the hat http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens-ua-blustery-beanie/pid1223240-130
  • rawlingstl
    rawlingstl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Another tip (again depending on how cold) would be to take it nice and slow. First because once winter comes you don't want to slip on ice. The second reason being, you need to take slow breaths. If you breath to fast your upper airway won't have enough time to warm the outside air you breath in to body temperature. This can lead to respiratory irritation like a short tern dry cough or a burning feeling in you chest and throat. To avoid this start of slow and if its really cold you can cover your mouth and nose with a neck warmer.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    checking back later
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I love running in the cold weather~probably because it is a welcome change to the Summers here in Mississippi. Of course, I have thin skin and freeze when it is 40 degrees! I think I am a wimp:) The right running clothing is important. I have lots of long sleeved cotton shirts from races but they really are not appropriate for running in the cold. When I sweat, the cotton absorbs the sweat and then chills leaving me colder than when I began. So, what I am trying to say is, buy the good stuff and you will thank yourself when January rolls around.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Bump!!!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Another tip (again depending on how cold) would be to take it nice and slow. First because once winter comes you don't want to slip on ice. The second reason being, you need to take slow breaths. If you breath to fast your upper airway won't have enough time to warm the outside air you breath in to body temperature. This can lead to respiratory irritation like a short tern dry cough or a burning feeling in you chest and throat. To avoid this start of slow and if its really cold you can cover your mouth and nose with a neck warmer.

Great advice for sure!
  • lsilly15
    Options

THIS IS SO COOL!

I actually do feel better. I think i just went to hard.
  • lsilly15
    Options

never thought that way, thanks!!
  • AnnACnd
    AnnACnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You know what, we had a super hot summer and I was running late evenings so it wouldn't be so bad. We got cold here quickly. The first evening I ran when it was just freezing weather and I could see my breath, I actually felt sick after. Like ill.....I just think it was a shock having that cold air in my lungs for 5 miles. The next day I felt better though.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I hate it, and I get ill so easily. I have recently bought some warmer running clothes including runnings gloves and will be buying something to cover my ears too. You probably have a cold coming. Me too :( lol
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I ran at 28 degrees this morning. But no wind. Also curious how I am supposed to dress when it really gets cold.

Luckily I run a loop that goes by my house. I usually shed the first layer (wind resistant fleece) on the first mile loop past the house. On the second loop I lost the gloves and fleece headband. Ran in tight running pants with some under armor bottoms and a very thin under armor top and a silky running shirt over that. Love the layers.