bloating

Options
i know im getting older but i suffer from bloating , i drink plenty of water and get a lot of exercise , does anyone else suffer frpm this or know of a way to stop it , thanks ; )

Replies

• runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i hate it - the more water i drink, the more bloated i become...

argh.
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    You really have to watch the sodium! I feel even if your drinking a lot of water, but eating high sodium foods it will keep you bloated. Processed anything will be high in salt, so just go a quick glance at the label. Fast food and resturant food in general will have a lot of salt also. Good luck on your journey!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Is the bloating all the time? I'm not always bloated, but I do get quite bloated just before my period and again when I ovulate. It lasts for 3-4 days each time and weigh-ins around these times are frightening. Do you track sodium? Try to keep it below 2000 mg a day. If all else fails, go see a doctor about it.
  • fattofit20
    Options
    I would also be interested in finding out an answer to your question as I have the same problem. My pants will fit me in the morning and by evening they're too tight. I drink water, take fiber every morning and still have the problem. It's driving me crazy!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Starchy carbs bloat me-breads, corn (it's the worst), and broccoli. Do you log your food to track what you've eaten when your stomach is upset?
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    process of elimination. Nuts, legumes, rice all make me bloated. Raw veggies work best for me and eggs I think. Overeating also bloats me. Exercising helps to unbloat me. You have to figure it out for yourself.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I hate it! I also bloat before and during my period and also when I ovulate. I think I have a high sensitivity to sodium as well. It can bloat me for a couple of days. :frown:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    i know im getting older but i suffer from bloating , i drink plenty of water and get a lot of exercise , does anyone else suffer frpm this or know of a way to stop it , thanks ; )

I have not found a way to stop it unless I stop eating carbs which I won't.. I'm almost 52 and I typically go to bed bloated and wake up with it gone, drink lots of water and it comes back during the day as I eat, unless I severely limit carbs. Certain foods certainly do it and it is different for everyone.

Here is what I have learned:

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium. Too many carbs. Too much fiber without enough water. An actual baby growing inside of you. Etc.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I would also be interested in finding out an answer to your question as I have the same problem. My pants will fit me in the morning and by evening they're too tight. I drink water, take fiber every morning and still have the problem. It's driving me crazy!

This was exactly my issue. I don't have the issue anymore so I think it's one of two things (for me at least). When I had cut out most processed foods, this pretty much went away but if I have a lot of dairy, I notice it can hit me again.

ETA: I haven't noticed a difference with respect to my sodium and/or fiber levels so if anyone else has their sodium/fiber in check, I'd definitely try cutting out processed stuff and also seeing if you have any triggers like dairy is for me.
  • EWilliamson
    EWilliamson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I actually just went to the doc for this.....not really sure what caused it but since i cut back on dairy and waaaaaaay back on fiber my stomach is SOOO flat! I was getting so bloated where I would have swore I was pg! Do you eat a lot of fiber??? I was eating tons and drinking lots of water...basically i think it was just swelling and sitting in my belly!!! So far no problems!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here with a hotwater bottle on my tummy as I type! I've been fine all day and now I'm bloated and uncomfortable. It's not all the time though, but does seem to be linked with wheat for me. (I just had a piece of my mum's wonderful date and walnut loaf), try peppermint tea, or a herbal detox tea to sooth you tummy.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I actually just went to the doc for this.....not really sure what caused it but since i cut back on dairy and waaaaaaay back on fiber my stomach is SOOO flat! I was getting so bloated where I would have swore I was pg! Do you eat a lot of fiber??? I was eating tons and drinking lots of water...basically i think it was just swelling and sitting in my belly!!! So far no problems!
    I do eat a lot of fiber and wheat! That plus the sodium! Sheesh! No wonder I look like kermit the frog! :noway:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium.
  • chatter8ug
    Options
    I have to watch things like MSG (monosdium glutamate) or Disodium Guyalanate. They cause a cyle of water retention, bloating and asthma that last from 3-7 days. I can gain up to 7 lbs in 3 days.. hold it for 2-3 days. Asthma, headaches, fat ankles!

Watch your ingredients... find your triggers. Journal Journal Journal!!!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    reduce your carbs...up your water.

it'll be fine
  • tonkabella
    tonkabella Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes with certain foods... carbs being the main one and salt. Drives me crazy ..... I drink loads of water but nothing seems to help apart from watching my carb and salt intake.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It appears to vary so much from person to person. I used to get awfully bloated and not only was it unsightly, it was terribly painful. I got rid of it by eliminating all wheat completely. I don't suffer when I eat other gluten-rich foods, so I have substituted wheat with rye, barley, quinoa.

I know it is a bit of a fashion thing not to eat wheat, but in my case it has nothing to do with fashion at all. This elimination has changed my life around. My stomach is as flat as flat can be and, most importantly, free of pain.

I am not trying to start a war against wheat, I am just recommending the trial-and-error method of eliminating the most common culprits and see what works for you.

Lots of luck :flowerforyou:
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    mine was caused by protein shakes...have you started drinking those?? i quit and (sadly, bc i really liked them) no more bloat.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Try chamomile tea!!! I seem to bloat after eating anything, and chamomile tea brings it back down