First Marathon Completed!

Options
corys8646
corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
My journey started in 2007 when I saw a picture of myself and knew something had to change. I weighed 190 pounds (Cholesterol was off the charts) and my wife and I had a two year old. If I wanted to see him graduate high school, I probably needed to change a few things.

I used MFP for about 18 months and got down to 144 pounds (140 was my goal). I lost some motivation and over a few years let 20 pounds get back on.

Beginning of 2012, I made a commitment to myself to get back in shape, eat better and kick chewing tobacco.

I'm happy to report that I haven't chewed tobacco for over 10 months, I hit my goal weight of 140 a few weeks ago (still bouncing between 142 and 140) and went from couch to marathon in 10 months this past weekend at the Portland Marathon.

cory-2007.jpg
Peak weight of 190 in 2007

goal-weight.jpg
Hit my goal weight in September

30382_4517540504116_1636519988_n.jpg
Tired but extremely happy and grateful marathon finisher! 4 hours and 32 minutes.

Replies

• niecyc23
    niecyc23 Posts: 402
    Options
    WTG you don't look tried at all lol
  • dannyweatherly
    Options
    Congratulations!!! That is a huge victory! I will be doing my second marathon in November! There is nothing like running!
  • maeve1988
    Options
    Wow! That is just amazing. Great job.
    And I can just confirm niecyc. You really don't look tired just fantastic.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That's awesome!! :D
  • runningonmargaritas
    Options
    Congrats! Quite an accomplishment !!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great job and an awesome finishing time!! Congrats to you!!!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss AND marathon. Great finish time, too! A full marathon is my ultimate goal -- thanks for sharing.
  • shellgoff
    shellgoff Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great job! What an accomplishment.

My husband chews tobacco and seeing him try to quit is painful. He does good for a bit, then right back at it. Its hard! So good job for beating that addiction!
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Yes the chewing tobacco was/is the hardest thing i've probably ever done. 10 months later it is still a battle, but running helped me get over the cravings. A site that also helped me was Kill the Can. http://www.killthecan.org/ great resource and something that helps you stay accountable.

I may not look tired, but believe me I was :)

Already looking for what spring marathon I want to register for.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    WOW! CONGRATS!, you have done well and can prove it! GOOD FOR YOU!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am in training for my own first marathon and your story is truely inspirational! I hope my time is close to as good as yours!
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congratulations on the completion of your marathon.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    That's Amazing. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome and very motivating!!! Congratulations!!!!
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Absolutely Outstanding! I deeply admire anyone who has run a marathon. Indeed a great accomplishment!
  • danabromley
    danabromley Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your journey, it's so nice to hear these success stories. You're an inspiration to us all.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first marathon! That's definitely something to be proud of!
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    AWESOME! Your son looks just like you...so sweet! I finished my 6th marathon this weekend. This one is special. I am 48 and haven't done one since before my 4 year old son was born. Mine was the Twin Cities Marathon. 26.2 yahoo!
  • yasita29
    yasita29 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you look Great!!! please share some tips that worked for you.. Thanks
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!